Two harsh seasons

Which start would you prefer?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Which season would you rather start in between these two?

• Winter
    • (RoG)Summer

This is actually about me and some people rambling about which season is better.
So if you have to choose, which one do you think would suit you better when it comes to survivability?

I personally prefer Summer.
-This poll is just asking for opinions.

Summer, obviously would be harder- Why? Because Ahem.. Klei made Rabbit Earmuffs Craftable without needing to learn them at a Machine now.. Starting in Winter should be easier now-

But then again... Just rush the nearest Sinkhole In Summer and you’ll survive- Try going in a Sinkhole in Winter and you’ll still get too cold.

Honestly it’s kind of a Tie.

Winter is better.
As Adventure Mode shows us, starting is Winter is not only possible  but it can even be quite fun. 
Summer is, quite simply, never fun. It's awful and poorly designed. Klei looked at summer and decided "yeah everything will just ᚠᚢᚲᚲᛁᛝ explode". 
Even in the caves Summer is still awful because Antlion will be causing earthquakes every 30 seconds. During winter you just need to bring an umbrella to the caves. 

Well, having tried both in actual RoG (singleplayer DS, in other words)...

I EXPECTED to do better in winter, since well, you don't need science to figure out how to make a regular fire.  You just start off knowing it.  But weirdly enough I died really fast on the winter start, and ended up making a small base and starting to just play normally in summer.  (shrug)

Spoiler

fluffythings.png.19e645788fc8f3ae0046a23d76fb3c5b.png

A screenshot from that run.

However, I think I WAY lucked out with the summer start, as I found both gold (science machine) and nitre (endo fires, duh) really quickly, so...

So to answer your question...well, normally I'd say summer would be the harsher starting season but _my own actual experience_ contradicts that, so...but on the other hand a lot of it was down to luck--I got stuck in an area where I'd already picked all the fire supplies and couldn't go further to get more in the winter run; in the summer run I found what I needed really quickly.

I guess I'm gonna have to give this the "It's complicated" status.  : P

...Notorious

If we're talking public servers and all the resources have been picked by other players at the starting area then I'd rather start in Winter as Willow to buy time to get enough resources to survive. All you need in Winter is a torch or WIllow's Lighter to burn 2 adjacent trees down to overheat to 70 degrees and you're golden.

Summer starts require you to craft so many things such as the straw hat, parasol and the twirly fan just to buy enough time to get into the caves.

I would rather start in winter, not necessarily because it’s easier, because let’s be frank. If you wanted to survive summer just go underground for 15 days, gathering materials to set up a base in the coming autumn. It’s more so because there’s, just more to rush/do in winter I guess. Mactusk, Klaus, large quantities of ice. Summer has antlion and desert cactus, one is a very situational healing item and the other drops an item that you can only use with other people. Tbf, opinion time. I think summer is kinda bland, mainly the items (the threats are *okay* to me). 

So basically it all boils down to I think starting early in winter would be more interesting because a summer start for me would just be me taking additional time underground before fall, since I think the items on the surface are not worth it for me.

14 minutes ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

I would rather start in winter, not necessarily because it’s easier, because let’s be frank. If you wanted to survive summer just go underground for 15 days, gathering materials to set up a base in the coming autumn. It’s more so because there’s, just more to rush/do in winter I guess. Mactusk, Klaus, large quantities of ice. Summer has antlion and desert cactus, one is a very situational healing item and the other drops an item that you can only use with other people. Tbf, opinion time. I think summer is kinda bland, mainly the items (the threats are *okay* to me). 

So basically it all boils down to I think starting early in winter would be more interesting because a summer start for me would just be me taking additional time underground before fall, since I think the items on the surface are not worth it for me.

There is no scape from summer in rog summer (op specify it)

4 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

There is no scape from summer in rog summer (op specify it)

My b didn’t see that part. Probably would still go under, after collecting a bit of nitre on the surface. IIRC in solo there was an inherent insulation that the caves provided, it just didn’t make you immune. Don’t quote me on that though.

55 minutes ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

My b didn’t see that part. Probably would still go under, after collecting a bit of nitre on the surface. IIRC in solo there was an inherent insulation that the caves provided, it just didn’t make you immune. Don’t quote me on that though.

np, i just wanted to know strategies with rog summer haha

I should mention that I lived on the surface in my summer start, in regular DS.  Caves DID exist but I never took advantage of 'em.  I also think there weren't any cave entrances nearby.  I ended up slapping my science machine down RIGHT where I found the gold for it, so I could prototype endo fires _immediately_, so that location became my base.  It was very much a case of "diers can't be choosers".  

(I also had to clear out a hound mound from the area while roasting to death, before I could even try ANY science, but that's another story.)

But normally out of the two seasons I would DEFINITELY agree that summer is the harsher in general, because it's so much more destructive.  Cold and heat both kill you, but cold doesn't SPREAD and take out entire landscapes' worth of resources.  And that's not even counting your actual base itself going down in flames.  Yikes.

...Notorious

Archived