Layout vs performance

I just noticed today that the game seems to run at higher FPS when switched to layouts that turn the game into grayscale mode : plumping, ventilization, priorities ...

I this a known thing and how can we utilize this to increase game performance on late game colonies ?

Edit : almost any layout except for the power/temp should make the game run at higher FPS

Sorry .... here's a small video about it, sure i'm playing on a potato but the layout does affect my game performance by a lot, it was 25 fps max on normal layout and ~40 fps max on oxygen layout without the bandicam running.

Edit : Somehow this attached video thing doesn't work, maybe i uploaded wrong format ?

Odd... usually the only time I notice stuttering and skipping is when I have the pipe overlay on and the blobs seem to stutter.  It seems to only be a graphical thing though since all of the machines connected to the pipes work fine.

27 minutes ago, psusi said:

Odd... usually the only time I notice stuttering and skipping is when I have the pipe overlay on and the blobs seem to stutter.  It seems to only be a graphical thing though since all of the machines connected to the pipes work fine.

I believe in this game everything tied to the frame rate, pretty much everything.

We get low frame count on late colonies not because the GPU couldn't handle the 2D graphics, it's because some (not sure how much) game calculation being made during rendering process. Most game C# code are either MonoBehaviour or GameObject with a Update() function that run every frame.

15 hours ago, psusi said:

blobs stutter for me in overlays when my dupes are doing pipe construction/deconstruction. like, the animation of pipes being added/removed causes a graphic lag that the game auto-updates the pipe flow animation to compensate for the offsync of game ticks That to me feels separate from a stutter due to performance issues.

57 minutes ago, darknotezero said:

blobs stutter for me in overlays when my dupes are doing pipe construction/deconstruction. like, the animation of pipes being added/removed causes a graphic lag that the game auto-updates the pipe flow animation to compensate for the offsync of game ticks That to me feels separate from a stutter due to performance issues.

True.

On 11/22/2020 at 7:36 PM, psusi said:

Every once in awhile I run into a really strange bug.  Suddenly, for no apparent reason, the game will start with a permanent stutter every couple of ticks.  Everything (and I mean everything, dupes, pipes, etc.) goes Move, Move, Pause, Move, Move, Pause, ... forever.

Rebooting doesn't help, deconstructing things (I went into debug and used the "DESTROY" on literally 1/2 of my base) doesn't help, nothing seems to help. 

And I'm not talking about late game either.  When this has happened, it's often only around Cycle 100 - 150 or so. 

It has occurred 3 times for certain (possibly more, but I restart bases a lot), and the only thing that works is to start a new base. Oddly, abandoning the existing base and starting a new base works to fix the issue even without restarting the game, so it's almost certainly something in the current game's dataset getting corrupted.

Stop game, reload; stop game, reboot pc; deconstruct things; nothing helps except quitting that base and starting over.

The only thing I can think of that might be a culprit (without seeing the codebase obviously) is that I was running the "Fast Save" mod to cut down on save file sizes.  I have now removed that mod and, so far, it hasn't happened on the last two bases I've run.  But it doesn't occur on every base in the first place, so that's only anecdotal at this point. [and just removing the mod did not fix any of the already corrupted bases].

On 11/24/2020 at 4:38 PM, UnderwearApp said:

Does it freeze about every 5 seconds? I had this same problem but assumed it was one of the 50 or 60 mods I use. It is present in new bases, just not as noticeable, and gets more pronounced over time.

The 5 second freezing problem is something I identified in the "Efficient Supply" mod, which produces massive error logs every 5 seconds. Check to see if you have an error log at %appdata%\..\locallow\klei\Oxygen Not Included in windows, as mine was nearly 19GB after a year of playing ONI, all of it from Efficient Supply.

Simply uninstall that specific mod, delete the log, and you should regain a huge amount of performance.

Sadly, I cannot help with the performance on a potato machine, but a few tips are to drain everything to vacuum and collect all debris in one central location, as each tile of liquid/gas calculates mass and thermal exchange, and the same with each piece of debris, which is a lot of work.

On 11/27/2020 at 4:35 PM, crypticorb said:

The 5 second freezing problem is something I identified in the "Efficient Supply" mod, which produces massive error logs every 5 seconds. Check to see if you have an error log at %appdata%\..\locallow\klei\Oxygen Not Included in windows, as mine was nearly 19GB after a year of playing ONI, all of it from Efficient Supply.

Simply uninstall that specific mod, delete the log, and you should regain a huge amount of performance.

Sadly, I cannot help with the performance on a potato machine, but a few tips are to drain everything to vacuum and collect all debris in one central location, as each tile of liquid/gas calculates mass and thermal exchange, and the same with each piece of debris, which is a lot of work.

Thanks for the reply. My performance is good otherwise. The pause seems too consistent to be anything else. I'll have a look!

Archived