Wormwood is a beginner friendly character, change my mind

Even multiplayer setting doesn't guarantee that Wormwood is a beginner friendly character. He is, if there is somebody who's more experienced and willing to constantly provide healing items for him, which normally doesn't happen in a free-for-all multiplayer server where you play with random people. Most players don't want to babysit a nood they don't even know. Beginners normally aren't that good at avoiding fights, even if they're scared and would very much like to avoid them. They just get hit because dst can be pretty overwhelming when you've just started, and there's always something you didn't expect to happen. But yeah, Wormwood is a safe character for a beginner if there's somebody looking after him.

outside of hounds(which can be turned off) wormwood doesnt have to fight anything. a lot of these "wormwood actually sucks" counters ride on the back of the newbie in question wanting to play the game as a fighter. if you avoid conflict wormwood is ridiculously easy to play. he makes his own sanity and he can literally live off of redcaps and monster-meat which is pretty op. someone who is not looking to brawl can very much thrive as wormwood even if they dont know how to make reparative items(and even if they don't he can heal with manure or guano at about the rate of cooked berries which isnt too bad at all)

11 minutes ago, gaymime said:

outside of hounds(which can be turned off) wormwood doesnt have to fight anything. a lot of these "wormwood actually sucks" counters ride on the back of the newbie in question wanting to play the game as a fighter. if you avoid conflict wormwood is ridiculously easy to play. he makes his own sanity and he can literally live off of redcaps and monster-meat which is pretty op. someone who is not looking to brawl can very much thrive as wormwood even if they dont know how to make reparative items(and even if they don't he can heal with manure or guano at about the rate of cooked berries which isnt too bad at all)

but all disscusion is about how the character deals with a default vanilla world

12 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

but all disscusion is about how the character deals with a default vanilla world

ok, that is fair. in vanilla you could literally build a boat, a tent or a seista leanto OR give meat to pigs. building things isnt entirely intuitive as it requires the person to be curious enough about the game to look at the tabs to the side but the latter is pretty easy to grasp even if the player has the mental fortitude of a potato since fighting pigs eat meat and skin and the way to get something skittish to like you in a game is to feed it. as soon as the player make the connection that pigs might eat meat if it is offered they can make pig friends(or even if they dont feed them if they see pigs fighting other mobs but not them they would at least get the idea that they can hang out with the pigs when being attacked)

35 minutes ago, gaymime said:

ok, that is fair. in vanilla you could literally build a boat, a tent or a seista leanto OR give meat to pigs. building things isnt entirely intuitive as it requires the person to be curious enough about the game to look at the tabs to the side but the latter is pretty easy to grasp even if the player has the mental fortitude of a potato since fighting pigs eat meat and skin and the way to get something skittish to like you in a game is to feed it. as soon as the player make the connection that pigs might eat meat if it is offered they can make pig friends(or even if they dont feed them if they see pigs fighting other mobs but not them they would at least get the idea that they can hang out with the pigs when being attacked)

well, to defend a little why the game is cryptic. Klei always released hints in the update posters and trailers of how to use the content but i get that still being an external way of knowledge

but to make an example about why vanilla and not taking in count edited maps: wolfgang and warly hunger can be harder or easier editing founts of food, woormwood speed perk can be so strong in a world with only spring or nothing in an only winter world, abi damage doesnt change if you play only day or only night, etc

will be hard to argue how good is a character if we have to take in count infinity variables

37 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

well, to defend a little why the game is cryptic. Klei always released hints in the update posters and trailers of how to use the content but i get that still being an external way of knowledge

but to make an example about why vanilla and not taking in count edited maps: wolfgang and warly hunger can be harder or easier editing founts of food, woormwood speed perk can be so strong in a world with only spring or nothing in an only winter world, abi damage doesnt change if you play only day or only night, etc

will be hard to argue how good is a character if we have to take in count infinity variables

um.... you quoted the wrong comment? this was about how in vanilla worlds he still had these avenues XD

51 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

Food healing is the most common and efficient type of healing, and character that specifically disables these features, or doesn't teach you about common game features, or teaches you to IGNORE common game features is a bad starter character.

yeah youre right, I got him for buying the megapack and started maining him, so when i branched out to other characters i couldnt stay away from insanity (worth it though, wormwoods a good boy)

19 hours ago, Wardin25 said:

Wormwoods upsides relay in easy food farming and an ability to easily control your sanity by chopping or planting plant and his downside is not being able to heal from foods

Mast beginners have trouble avoiding starvation and are scared of insanity, so wormwood can help them with that, and unless they have watched a cooking guide, they wont know any recipe for healing, or probably wont even have the ingredients to make them, so until they get more experienced they wont have to learn anything but meatballs/meaty stew and just use honey pultices and healing salves

either that or im just saying nonsense

Loosing sanity from chopping tree's is horrible and new people dont often replant them
Plus not healing from food seems like a small deal because you dont often get alot of healing from foods new players usually eat but they also rarely know how to make healing items

Wormwood is begginer friendly only for the first 20 days of Autumn. Since they only collect seeds and restore easy sanity when planting seeds. Then they mysteriously dissapear in winter.

If you encounter worm sitting in base during spring, kick him ASAP or he will drain your food account.

Wormwood is one of the worst characters for new players. You're right that new players die from starvation a lot, but they die from starvation in winter once their berry bushes they were relying on stop growing. Wormwood's crops also stop growing in winter so that's no help at all. He makes healing considerably harder which makes the things that actually kill new players a lot kill them even harder.

If you play on public servers a lot you'll see that there's almost never any starvation deaths (because everyone disconnects when it becomes winter) but people constantly die to insanity, hounds, spiders, going in the swamp, darkness, or the environment. Wormwood doesn't do anything to help with any of those (New players do not know how to use his sanity trait and usually see it as a crippling downside that prevents them from being helpful) so any chip damage sustained in between encounters is basically permanently there, making the next encounter probably kill them. Wormwood can also make bramble armor which is really bad armor, but it deceives new players into wearing it and thus taking more damage that they don't know how to recover.

Wormwoods die all the time on public servers. Everyone does, but I would wager money that Wormwood is in the top 3 of deaths per capita. Possibly even number one.

The only way I played Wormwood decently well in a public server with a couple of decent players was by being very careful with my health. Stuff that I used to build the Lean To and the glands were provided by other players for the most part.  They were mostly unused resources that I turned into healing salves and shelter so I could heal up, but I did create a 40-50 trap hound area with bramble husks around it. The group's Wolfgang wanted to kill Dragonfly as well, but no one else knew how to wall up the area so I did that for them while smacking Dragonfly each time he got knocked down. It was overall a great pub game that reached late spring or early summer.

The hunger drain in spring is really something that newbies won't  be prepared for. It might cause them to panic and make mistakes. Most of the map should be explored by the time spring comes around so Wormwood's movement bonus is mostly for combat kiting if you want to maximize it.

Overall I did not have an easy time playing him well because I had to be very careful of my health all the time due to lack of healing until we had enough healing salves. I didn't want to just sit in base and plant crops all day either. I felt very limited when it came to combat due to the lack  of easy healing options and it was only near the end of winter when I felt I had enough salves to actually go out and fight.

Wormwood's full potential can't be unlocked without a competent Wickerbottom. I've seen people in pubs create massive farms that has like 20-30+ of each vegetable before winter. Of course they weren't noobs because after that they farmed for Krampus sacks non-stop and we had so many morsels that they were spoiling.

Archived