Opinions on DST's combat system.

Simple but challenging and rewards "perfection"

Wouldnt mind future weapons with other number of hits per seconds, elemental effects, etc

i think is perfect for this game

Some boss fights could be better and playing with ~4 players converts the game in hold F feast but in general i like it

2 hours ago, Articestone said:

If you want some thing better than the current combat system, you can just use mods and yes Mike23Ua if you happen to see this, i know console players can't use mods but life is unfair deal with it, eventually mods will be added to console. 

did klei say that?or is it just you whos saying mods will come to console?because if you didnt know playstation arent really happy with having mods. did you see fallout 4 and their mods? its quite sad.

personally i like the combat system but  i could see it getting boring after a good 1000 hours or 2000 

1 hour ago, stranger again said:

did klei say that?or is it just you whos saying mods will come to console?because if you didnt know playstation arent really happy with having mods. did you see fallout 4 and their mods? its quite sad.

Klei did not say it. But is a simple rule of supply and demand. If there is a big demand for mods, there will be a supply or compromise 

16 hours ago, Nikki Darks said:

Oh I've completely forgot about minions/beefalo.

Beefalo have a major flaw of being the utter snooze fest, most bafflingly slow and boring proccess in the entire game.

Beefalo taming is hellishly boring.

I actually really like beefalo taming. It's incredibly easy to do in the early game by the beginning of Winter (around day 25 or so) and a glossamer saddle can be farmed in 4 mornings leaving you plenty of time for the rest of those days. I don't think 20 days is a long time, especially if you're actively riding your beefalo around, since all full domestication does is buff up obedience, buck timer, and whichever other thing you were training your beefalo in. Can it be tedious? Yeah, I've tried Spring beefalo taming and have accidentally hit my beefalo and cried that my domestication would have been that much shorter, BUT if you're not just sitting around and whining that your cow isn't tamed yet you may be doing it wrong. 

(Sorry if this came off as a tad aggressive, I tend to defend beefalo taming at all costs, and there is some silly aspects of it, like domestication deletion if you accidentally attack your beefalo - also I agree that ranged combats kind of lame and some ai could use some anti-cheese tweaking - but honestly there's a part of me that thinks that complaining about a standardized combat system in a game balanced around it might not be all that productive. Still, more interesting combat systems would be cool <3)

"Less is more". As others stated above, KLei opted for a fairly complicated world, but simple combat system. And imo was/is a good thing. The mobs/bosses particularities give needed complexity.

I as well pointed in past at Forge's combat system as an interesting alternative. Yet we forget one thing: Forge matches went for 8-10 minutes in general. Action packed. But here's another interesting fact: the overwhelming majority of Forge players didn't beat that game-mode. I think the percentage of people doing-in the Forge 1 Boarrior was around 3%. And cca. 50% didn't pass the Turtles' round. Thus, even in small sessions, where people can fairly well - theoretically - learn the more complex combat system and enemies of Forge, bulk player-base failed spectacularly. And here's the catch: there you didn't had Sanity, Hunger, Day-Night cycle, seasons and so on. Only parameter you revolved around was HP. And still so few people could master it. What do you think such complex combat system will spell for the ever-so complex DST regular environment of Survival servers regarding bulk player-base?! Keep in mind most people playing current DST consider it a hard game with steep learning curve. Add to it now a complex Forge-like combat system and see what happens...

19 hours ago, Nikki Darks said:

So, DST has a low of intricate and unique mechanics for a survival game, but for me, one of those mechanics severely lacked in intricacy, uniqueness, and overall flavour/gameplay quality.

I would go as far as saying that this isn't the game to look for uniqueness and flavor.

Everything is extremely dumbed down to being simple and average or simple and extremely restricted, from combat to cooking to base building. There's barely any "wow" factor within the game other than extremely rare events like fighting the ancient fuelweaver.

12 hours ago, Articestone said:

Klei did not say it. But is a simple rule of supply and demand. If there is a big demand for mods, there will be a supply or compromise 

Yeah Mods don’t work like that.. Sony and Microsoft directly choose what type of content is and is not allowed on their consoles (which is why games on consoles that DO have Mods incorporate those mods in a Weird & very protected Way..) 

Its to prevent people from making highly inappropriate or inaccurate or maybe even just completely malicious evil software, and letting players easily access that.

I highly highly doubt console players will EVER have any type of Mod Access in DST, but that’s not something I’m going to lose any sleep over not having either.

We don’t need Mods anyway, all we need is a harder difficulty mode with improved mob behaviors and A.I. when enemies stop lining up in a single file line attacking the player one at a time, it’s a small change that shouldn’t NEED a mod to happen.

Archived