Year of the [insert animal]- What do we call the events as a whole?

1 minute ago, minespatch said:

While typing hashtags for my art, I realized that we should probably come up with a name to round them up as a whole.

Maybe "Constant years", Lunar days?

Isn't it called Lunar event?

Just now, CameoAppearance said:

Lunar New Year. "Lunar Event" sounds like it has something to do with the in-universe lunar content like the lunar islands, and China isn't the only country that celebrates it so "Chinese New Year" isn't strictly accurate.

Right, I'm just trying to figure out how to hashtag a overall group since "year of the etc" sounds way too hazy and vague. I want it to be Don't Starve related but I'm just not sure.

I think #newyear or #lunarnewyear could both work, or #yotanimal for year of the animal.

I don't think I would confuse a simple #lunar for #fullmoon or #newmoon as I don't think anyone would group that all together as there isn't much relevance between them except maybe as it relates to the chess sculptures as you can waken them in either full or new moon to different effect.

I wouldn't call it Chinese anything because even though these events are inspired by Chinese new years and occur in line with the real life holiday it might be considered appropriation to tie them that closely together.  I doubt the risk is high, but I would consider "better safe than sorry" in regards to cultural things.  There was a LOT of drama over a certain card game I played and accusations of both "cultural appropriation" and "glorifying oppression" with a simple cultural chant they included...

3 hours ago, Shosuko said:

I think #newyear or #lunarnewyear could both work, or #yotanimal for year of the animal.

I don't think I would confuse a simple #lunar for #fullmoon or #newmoon as I don't think anyone would group that all together as there isn't much relevance between them except maybe as it relates to the chess sculptures as you can waken them in either full or new moon to different effect.

I wouldn't call it Chinese anything because even though these events are inspired by Chinese new years and occur in line with the real life holiday it might be considered appropriation to tie them that closely together.  I doubt the risk is high, but I would consider "better safe than sorry" in regards to cultural things.  There was a LOT of drama over a certain card game I played and accusations of both "cultural appropriation" and "glorifying oppression" with a simple cultural chant they included...

Srly, some people need hobbies

YES...year of the stripey fuzzball...I'm not at _all_ biased towards that one because it's my own Chinese Zodiac animal, or anything.  I'm biased towards it because it's kitties!

Seriously though I tend to call it "Chinese New Year" when I'm being sloppy or "Lunar New Year" when being more specific.  "Lunar Event" sounds WAY too much like we're talking about a Forge- or Gorge-like thing that has to do with the in-game moon.

...Notorious

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

YES...year of the stripey fuzzball...I'm not at _all_ biased towards that one because it's my own Chinese Zodiac animal, or anything.  I'm biased towards it because it's kitties!

Seriously though I tend to call it "Chinese New Year" when I'm being sloppy or "Lunar New Year" when being more specific.  "Lunar Event" sounds WAY too much like we're talking about a Forge- or Gorge-like thing that has to do with the in-game moon.

...Notorious

Why don’t they just call it Year of? I mean it’s pretty simplistic! My only complaint with these events is that they’re well limited time content.. and it really sucks because a lot of animations and coding went into the adorable Year of the Carrat event!

(Yes I’m the spokesperson for dark, spooky and maybe mildly morbid content.. but I ALSO very much enjoy Heart warming, joyful, Christmas-y almost equally as much... and I adored YoTC!!!)

Carrat was the best critter companion we could possibly have (in ways even more then Woby) Woby can’t die.. like at all and that’s super unrealistic because EVEN CHESTER DIES (well err sort of.) You also can’t change Wobys collar colors like you could Carrat.

Carrat had to train or he performed poorly, he had to eat or he starved, and you could change his color by giving him seed, and if you didn’t protect him Carrat could die while following you.

exactly what a companion should be (so long as they can be revived or respawned) Woby.. is just there and immune to everything.. it kinda sucks and I hope if they create an Uncompromising mode it includes feeding and taking care of Woby or else Woby croaks over just like my Carrat, just like Chester, just Like Bernie or Abigail or any tamed Beefalo mount.

Now my complaints about Woby aside- Carrat was still the best critter ever!!! And that content should’ve stayed playable in the game permanently rather then being pulled after the event.

Thats my only complaint with these limited time events really.. the cool content they offer should be permanently part of the game, I know you can host worlds with events set to YoTC.. but- on Xbox one at least that particular event no longer works and actually crashes your Xbox if you even attempt to inspect Carrat sitting on a podium.

I predict that because the game no longer registers Carrat as your Pet, and you no longer have inspection quotes referring to him as a pet that your game crashes..

but I’m no game designer, I just know it don’t work and that makes me sad <\3

14 hours ago, Shosuko said:

I know I'm essentially poking a bear with a stick by addressing this but it isn't appropriation if the culture something comes from WANTS you to join their celebrations/learn about their culture/wear the clothes/eat the food. Chinese new year is one of those things. Celebrate it, it's fine. While your at it drink tequila on Cinco De Mayo (if you're old enough), wear a damn sombrero, wear a kimono, it's fine. Learn another language. That, in fact, helps keep many languages from dying! More harm comes out of worrying over offending someone than just having a good time.

5 hours ago, Monkey Cups said:

I know I'm essentially poking a bear with a stick by addressing this but it isn't appropriation if the culture something comes from WANTS you to join their celebrations/learn about their culture/wear the clothes/eat the food. Chinese new year is one of those things. Celebrate it, it's fine. While your at it drink tequila on Cinco De Mayo (if you're old enough), wear a damn sombrero, wear a kimono, it's fine. Learn another language. That, in fact, helps keep many languages from dying! More harm comes out of worrying over offending someone than just having a good time.

And when the Twitter mob rolls up I'll just refer them to this post and everything will be fine lol XD

22 hours ago, Shosuko said:

And when the Twitter mob rolls up I'll just refer them to this post and everything will be fine lol XD

Stay off of twitter man, that place is bad for your mental health.

But really, I see this conversation (in other places) every year. I've seen it on Twitter too. Including replies to threads like this from native Chinese giving people blanket permission to enjoy lunar new year. There will always be someone who takes offense, but then again there are people that will be offended by you just existing, so you have to learn to ignore folks with awful attitudes sometimes.

The appropriation argument is just segregation with a progressive hat. We should have done away with that garbage in the 50s or so.

Since the start of Return of Them and a large chunk of the moon crashing into the ocean... Then I think instead of calling it Lunar New Year Event, Chinese New Years or Year Of The—

I would Officially call it the “Loon Moon” Event.

It has a nice ring to it don’t you think? And with the moon literally having a huge crack in it now days, well you gotta admit it is looking a bit looney.

Archived