retrofitting spawns a wormhole instead of attaching the moon cave

1 hour ago, AlternateMew said:

I'd prefer the wormhole, thank you. Do you have any idea what this would do to people with large cave bases? It'll wipe them out. To add insult to injury there, think of the people who don't follow the forums and have no idea that the update will completely regenerate out their caves? All the stuff they could lose.

Nonono- i don't want to get klei to force cave regeneration.
I will propably regenerate caves ( even if it means losing 7+ houndiuses) just because I can't change the actual world layout.

37 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

New content being added to existing worlds have clearly never been the way Klei intended that content to be experienced anyway.. it’s better to just create a new world so all your biomes generate correctly

The fact that Klei goes out of their way to even allow old world compatibility is one of the many things I love about their style. They don't even have to do this. It's shows they're simultaneously not holding back on content just because some people will be upset that it's not in their existing world, while at he same time saying "Here, its not the same, but we found a way to give you the new stuff, too".

Yes, a new world is the 'best' way. But assuming it stays, I intend to treat this wormhole as a trophy of the longevity of this save! It shall be cherished.

7 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

and suspect that the sign beside the wormhole will read as something like “Harder Content, Enter at your own Risk”

Someone looked into what it's supposed to say. Apparently it's supposed to say "Pretend it's connected". Which gives me a chuckle.

I gotta say, even tho I like the Wormhole idea, it's just becuz i'm too lazy to check these tentapillars... man, there are so many, I've telepoofed to the atrium, wouldn't mind telepoofing to the new biome if it meant not generating  everything over the normal ruins or any other biome or even making me check the tentapillars.
Also, Retrofitting can cause some weird stuff, my barnacles spawned just at the edges of the world, it's a pain, they must have spawned there becuz I haven't explored the black chunks of the map in my +1000 days world

If they aren't able to find a way to retrofit the biome in, I'd be happy with this wormhole having a different sprite from the ones in the surface (maybe the same as the ones made by tentapillars?). Probably it shouldn't drain sanity also.

On 10/15/2020 at 4:58 PM, Terra B Welch said:

I'm more curious as to why klei went the route of bridging the new moon caves to the rest of the caves rather then adding a cave sinkhole that leads to it.

i assume they did this because making players run three servers at a time might be too much, there were two caves in regular dont starve, but you didnt have to run the servers at the same time unlike dst

10 minutes ago, Mime said:

i assume they did this because making players run three servers at a time might be too much, there were two caves in regular dont starve, but you didnt have to run the servers at the same time unlike dst

No it wouldh't take 3 servers, the idea was that the moon cave area would be in the same cave shard, but seperated from the rest of the caves with a cave entrance on the surface only on moon island.

5 minutes ago, Terra B Welch said:

No it wouldh't take 3 servers, the idea was that the moon cave area would be in the same cave shard, but seperated from the rest of the caves with a cave entrance on the surface only on moon island.

I keep saying this, the only way to reach is in a specific area- rather then just oddly appearing in your world.. should be by something like: Unplugging the plugged Sinkholes at Pearls Island would be a good example..

It still shares the same server as regular caves- but you can only access it by traveling to Pearls island and entering the “moon cave” 

The biggest question that I have to ask about all that though is now that the Forgetten Knowledges beta is out.. (unless Pearl is just really scared of walking egg omelets or Mole Bats) why are these underground fissures plugged shut like they’re scared of what’s down there??

perhaps there’s something more sinister down there that we won’t see for a few updates.. I’m just confused as to why they let these areas connect to each other instead of simply being down in the same area.. but not accessible unless you travel to “Specific Area” players can’t build boat kits in caves so only Wortox would be able to hop to that area.. 

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

players can’t build boat kits in caves so only Wortox would be able to hop to that area.. 

Telepoof staff. Wortox is the only one who could do it at will, though. 

Then there’s the inevitable lunar cave connecting via worldgen fluke like how lunar island sometimes does. 

I like the idea, don’t get me wrong. Completely logical and I’d enjoy seeing it as another reason to visit the Lunar Island. But I can’t not point out minor little things when I see them!

31 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

This-
it would slightly soothe me if the retrofitting would make a perma-dead tentapillar.

It would look at least slightly normal.

why not a regular one?

is sad that the mechanic exist and is only used to go to the atrium (and not always since you can telepuff)

but i kinda like seeing a wormhole in the caves. Its a special thing

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

why not a regular one?

is sad that the mechanic exist and is only used to go to the atrium (and not always since you can telepuff)

but i kinda like seeing a wormhole in the caves. Its a special thing

Yeah but wormholes are supposed to be only on surface...

2 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Yeah but wormholes are supposed to be only on surface...

That's not quite true. While very rare, it was possible to get wormholes in both the caves + ruins in DS, and those could work as well.

It's also important to note that in HAM, if you got a piece of land disconnected from the mainland, a wormhole will spawn, despite there being ruins that could have been used to serve the same purpose. 

1 hour ago, Maxil20 said:

That's not quite true. While very rare, it was possible to get wormholes in both the caves + ruins in DS, and those could work as well.

It's also important to note that in HAM, if you got a piece of land disconnected from the mainland, a wormhole will spawn, despite there being ruins that could have been used to serve the same purpose. 

Of all the things that want to kill us in the Constant, one thing that has our backs is land-spanning worms that open their toothy maws inviting us to willingly hop in when we draw near. How suspiciously, uncomfortably wholesome.

Flashbacks to my earliest DS days here, where I wouldn't go near wormholes and "Jump in" looked like a "Click to die" prompt.

On 10/16/2020 at 1:22 PM, Mike23Ua said:

and suspect that the sign beside the wormhole will read as something like “Harder Content, Enter at your own Risk”

On 10/15/2020 at 11:00 PM, Maxil20 said:

As for the sign, it's apparently supposed to have text saying to "pretend it's connected" to the blue mush biome, but apparently it's bugged and does not properly do so.

Edit: Oops, didn't realize there was a second page for this thread and this was already poined out. My bad!

i mean, i at least know why i got a wormhole in my older world x''D there was literally no place to put even half of the new biome in the old once considering where my blue biome spawned compared to the other biomes. spawning a wormhole and putting the biome in a place with more room was a lot more practical AND was a lot better than if i had decided to base in the blue biome(something i consider doing sometimes) where i would be stuck next to a lot of dangerous mobs

Archived