Like me a lot of people want uses for pets, and more now when we already have a functional critter (Mothling), and I have some ideas, but these ideas have rules: pets can't replace any craftable item (for example Mothling doesn't replace the torch), if the pets are starving don't work any power, when the power is active some pets make the "play animation" (The animation that they actually do when there are more critters near) to you or others, and the powers are just little changes into the gameplay.

• blood.JPG.107f978ff56146f0f92c4c088761a21a.JPG : If you have 0 or less temperature Broding make a little warm aura and the "play animation" to you, you need to stay close to it, and it's stops when you have 15 temperature or more. The power don't works on Thermal stones. It has the best power in my opinion because is the most difficult to get.

• glomm.JPG.99ce7586da454d1bc064578a56365de1.JPG : It always makes a little sanity aura (+1.20/m) you need to stay close to it to get the sanity.

• owo.JPG.3c2914e2123ef0374d8452a369521ad5.JPG: If you are wet just stay close to Ewelet that can "dry you" making the "play animation" to you, it can speed up the dried process but doesn't protect you for rain or getting wet. It's literally a living towel.

• kiti.JPG.1a762d8a348c9f0f4a61dc875e3b54df.JPG : It "play" with the shadow hands (only one per Kitty) works with Wavey Jones's hands too, Kitty makes that the hand can't move more if there is a kitty playing with it.

• varggg.JPG.687cfe243a6ffdc6c00554ba0bf591fb.JPG : If you make a click with an item (Not food) in Vargling it is going to search the near chest with the same item inside making the "play animation" to it. Good to know where to put items or where can you find em if there isn't any clue.

• givi.JPG.7f733d0fd4cf6a32413e73b9df89d65f.JPG : It defends the berry bushes, and normal berries, juicy berries, seeds that are on the ground from being eaten by Gobbler, birds, or buzzard making the "play animation"to them.

These are my ideas to make all pets more useful but without making a big impact to the gameplay. If you like my ideas let me know, and share it with people.

cathand.JPG.aa11109a72df1448658274c9cd981b94.JPG

I like these ideas, they seem very useful while also not being overpowered. Although I will say I like the ideas for Vargling and Giblet from another post better (where feeding Giblet gives seeds like a birdcage and Vargling helps you figure out what creature the suspicious dirt pile leads to).

I like all of them. All of these are good.

There'd be a reason to choose a pet based on playstyle instead of just 'Mothling or vanity'. I don't think it would be a bad thing to give pets tiny, utilities like this. Varglings for the disorganized. Kittykits for the shadow hunters. Broodlings and Ewelets for the trophy hunters. Giblets for the farmers. Glomglom for "sharing" Glommer.

I mean, I love my little Mothling, don't get me wrong. But I have zero incentive to choose any pet that isn't Mothling because Mothling is the only one who does something.

Kitty kit is a small version of a Catcoon. What do actual Catcoons do? Pounce stuff! like one shot birds and butterflies 

If you want to add abilities to pets... consider watching how the animals that you create said pet from behaves first.

Cats would be excellent at killing birds, butterflies, Wortox..

Vargling which is just a smaller version of a Hound would be able to sniff out the direction of Hunt trails, because it’s a dog and that’s what dogs do.

But as far as the rest of them.. I have no clue what use to give them- maybe let the chicken eat loose seeds passively as a way of cleaning them up on your map without you having to go around picking them up yourself, And to occasionally drop a feather? 

For the Baby Ewecus I would erase his Snot Powers and just make him like Minecraft’s sheep (able to passively produce Wools over time that can be shaved off)

As critters stand NOW they seem to be a mostly useless purely cosmetic addition to the game- But ever since Year of the Carrat (the one pet that actually FELT like a Pet..) I’ve wanted a Critters Overhaul.

Archived