The thing I hope gets fixed in the Wigfrid refresh

Usually Klei is super on point with the writing with Wigfrid's Norse mythology references. But ever since Return of Them started there's been one thing that stands out as just blatantly wrong, that she calls Mani a goddess and uses feminine terms. This is not in line with the myth where Mani is a masculine deity.

My humble request is that Mani be rendered to properly, as he is one of the only male moon gods in European folklore

(I'm being over dramatic as a joke, but I really hope this gets fixed)

unknown-2.png

Aside this new case of "you misgendered my/our fiction" I for one hope KLei does something about Moon Dial and its function in Caves. If I remember well, many moons ago they addressed this concern risen by another forumer, writing something along the lines of "we will work a function for it in caves too, is planned". I forgot the context, but would be nice if in future "Return of Them" updates this Moon Dial aspect will also be re-worked/done something about it.

25 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Aside this new case of "you misgendered my/our fiction"

Well, yeah, actually. That is exactly what this post is about, but I guess you meant it sarcastically. 

27 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Moon Dial and its function in Caves

I believe the easiest and most obvious way to tweak the moon dial so it works in the caves would be to make it functional in a beam of light from the ceiling, much like the bee boxes. I can't really think of any other way of making it usable underground, though. 

2 hours ago, Pinegrove said:

Well, yeah, actually. That is exactly what this post is about, but I guess you meant it sarcastically. 

I believe the easiest and most obvious way to tweak the moon dial so it works in the caves would be to make it functional in a beam of light from the ceiling, much like the bee boxes. I can't really think of any other way of making it usable underground, though. 

Yeah, of course was sarcasm. And not even directed at OP. Is more about the state of game, namely all the bugs present atm that make this issue a rather "1st world problem". It doesn't mean it shouldn't be corrected, but when you see the Glommer-Walls glitch to spawn a $hitload of Krampi day 1 depending on your amount of used Darts time-and-again in pubs (among many-MANY other), such things (quote errors) really look more than trivial.

Your Caves Moon Dial proposal seems iffy (lore-wise: does it means Dial automatically "drills" in ceiling?). Perhaps another type of approach like Cave variant needing an additional component for it to function. Frankly have no idea. Maybe some Moon component (Glass) that "magnifies" its original effect to take place in caves, or another structure on top of it to give functionality.. Possibly some totally new function in Caves, with aid of Thulecite as a stationary Nightmare Phases detector?! (still such road would mix Moon and Shadow magic so.. meh!)

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Snip

That's fair too! I just was hoping that I could bring attention to a mistake in Wigfrid's dialogue, being as there's a Wigfrid update coming up. It's just weird to me that Wigfrid makes non surface level references, but also has a mistake that'd you can see is wrong in the most famous poem in the Poetic Edda.

44 minutes ago, SpaceDoktor said:

That's fair too! I just was hoping that I could bring attention to a mistake in Wigfrid's dialogue, being as there's a Wigfrid update coming up. It's just weird to me that Wigfrid makes non surface level references, but also has a mistake that'd you can see is wrong in the most famous poem in the Poetic Edda.

I think after this topic and (some spicy) posts (courtesy of yours truly, heh), KLei will also modify that New Moon Dial Mani quote - more regarding Norse mythology's Máni here.

..he is the brother of the personified sun, Sól, and the son of Mundilfari, while the Prose Edda adds that he is followed by the children Hjúki and Bil through the heavens. As a proper noun, Máni appears throughout Old Norse literature. Scholars have proposed theories about Máni's potential connection to the Northern European notion of the Man in the Moon, and a potentially otherwise unattested story regarding Máni through skaldic kennings.

If not... KLei! HOW DARE YOU MISGENDER MANI?!?!?!? (said in Greta's voice :devilish:)

53 minutes ago, gaymime said:

glommer walls glitch?

PM.

9 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

does it means Dial automatically "drills" in ceiling?)

I regard the light beams in the Caves where you can step in and see what time of day it is in the overworld as holes/cracks in the ceiling, so it would make sense that the moon would be able to reflect on the moon dial's surface. I like the magnifying glass idea, though, maybe it could be made out of moon shards? 

About Máni - yes, it's a niche thing to point out. It's not game changing in any way. But it's not something that is standing in the way of bigger, more substantial changes that we are all waiting for. Otherwise please refrain from joking about misgendering, it might be silly and harmless in the current context, but it's still a joke with transphobic/anti-nonbinary roots. 

According to Maxwell, the Gem inside of the moon-dial conjures water specific to the moon cycle. The gem itself is what tells what cycle the moon it's on, and not the reflection from the moon.

His full quote is:

"The gem conjures water springs in conjunction with the "moons" cycles"

Most of the characters look at it and say ''What's going on? I can still see the moon!".

So I think it's fair that it should work underground, the moons reflection isn't what causes it to activate, but the gem inside of it ''knowing'' what cycle it's on and filling it with the proper water to show that.

2 hours ago, cropo said:

According to Maxwell, the Gem inside of the moon-dial conjures water specific to the moon cycle. The gem itself is what tells what cycle the moon it's on, and not the reflection from the moon.

His full quote is:

"The gem conjures water springs in conjunction with the "moons" cycles"

Most of the characters look at it and say ''What's going on? I can still see the moon!".

So I think it's fair that it should work underground, the moons reflection isn't what causes it to activate, but the gem inside of it ''knowing'' what cycle it's on and filling it with the proper water to show that.

Maxwell also indicating that cave will prevent moon's influence.

"The cave provides sanctuary from the "moon's" prying eyes."

7 hours ago, Pinegrove said:

I regard the light beams in the Caves where you can step in and see what time of day it is in the overworld as holes/cracks in the ceiling, so it would make sense that the moon would be able to reflect on the moon dial's surface. I like the magnifying glass idea, though, maybe it could be made out of moon shards? 

About Máni - yes, it's a niche thing to point out. It's not game changing in any way. But it's not something that is standing in the way of bigger, more substantial changes that we are all waiting for. Otherwise please refrain from joking about misgendering, it might be silly and harmless in the current context, but it's still a joke with transphobic/anti-nonbinary roots. 

Ah, yes. The "cavelight" component you can mostly find in Sunken Forest biome, over Bunnymen villages, in Sunken savannas, and over solitary Bunnymen huts from Mud biomes. Stands to reason. Then one may question why Moon Dial wasn't made to properly work from the get-go in above-named circumstances with this (valid) line of thoughts.

Spoiler

As for joking... imo there is no topic one cannot and should not joke about. Jokes are jokes, words. They can be tasteless, poor in quality and whatnot. But not harmful. The old "Sticks and Stones" saying. "Find strength in your weakness and make a shining shield out of it" - is how one builds healthy character to properly (and realistically) deal with world at large that's anything but kind and carrying. Also is laughable what's happening with Anglican culture atm on the Overton window since scientific method was basically thrown out for the sake of "how I feel" hedonistic subjectivism. If you so desire, we can discuss more in detail via PM.

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:
  Hide contents

As for joking... imo there is no topic one cannot and should not joke about. Jokes are jokes, words. They can be tasteless, poor in quality and whatnot. But not harmful. The old "Sticks and Stones" saying. "Find strength in your weakness and make a shining shield out of it" - is how one builds healthy character to properly (and realistically) deal with world at large that's anything but kind and carrying. Also is laughable what's happening with Anglican culture atm on the Overton window since scientific method was basically thrown out for the sake of "how I feel" hedonistic subjectivism. If you so desire, we can discuss more in detail via PM.

That can be your opinion, and you're entitled to it. However, you are on a game forum with a lot of different people with a lot of different sensibilities. Politeness would require that you express yourself in a way that doesn't make other people uncomfortable, and I do ask posters to please be polite.

So. Let's move on and keep on topic. Thanks. 

Archived