So, Wigfrid rework huh?

4 hours ago, Vasz_ said:

but he's not the same character from before the rework anymore.

He is definetely the same, just easier and more practical. Everyone is welcome to liking or disliking, but personal taste doesnt affect facts.

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Time to throw the curveball into this discussion- Anyone remember how Warly released at the same exact time as another character refresh? So instead of one character rework we got Two.. with Warly being Klei’s Curveball surprise- 

what? I dont understand, Warly was the refresh. Warly came in as a refresh. He wasnt stated, called a new character like Wortox or even Wormwood, he was a character rework

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Time to throw the curveball into this discussion- Anyone remember how Warly released at the same exact time as another character refresh? So instead of one character rework we got Two.. with Warly being Klei’s Curveball surprise- 

I literally had no hope of ever seeing Walani added to this game, Until Warly & Wormwood showed up out of the blue, and that’s when the demand for her and the rest of the characters not currently in DST shot through the roof.

I don’t wanna get anyone’s hopes up, but did just want to remind you guys that Klei has thrown curveballs at us before.

In the meantime I’ll enjoy my #MadMoxxiTopHat & await the next update.

We’re probably not gonna get a surprise update until the team returns to their office.

In terms of an animated short, I really hope they actually show lore about how Wig got stuck in her character. Maybe even a skin of how she was prior? The mansion could mean she was from a rich family and her shtick that they liked her for was only acting or something and that developed into what we see now. Worse case scenario we only find out why she hates vegetables. 

The way Wigfrid is played now is considered "easy" by players looking to survive. She's a tough one and extremely empowering to play as because in many ways, she is the hardest character to kill.

In dire situations and almost any other character, Wigfrid is prancing around, killing spiders, eating raw monster meat and singing starver's carol making people's ears bleed.

It's a good feeling to play as her despite how she doesn't particularly excel at a certain aspect of any combat despite being pretty damn good at it.

Her dragonfly fight "can" be easier than Wolfgang's because of more forgiving room for error and her helmets are arguably cheaper than football helms.

And if you drop Wigfrid in any pub game during a hostile season, she has a better chance than almost any survivor to make it through without dying.

Wigfrid is already a character many players are extremely happy with, a character that new players can pick up and be introduced to an aspect of the game which wasn't as friendly to them as other characters (combat) and a character that could focus on other tasks without the looming worry of death.

I don't want these aspects of wigfrid to change.

I'm 50% anxious about the rework and 50% excited seeing as she is my most played non public server character.

Seeing as they eventually hit the mark with Woodie, my character most played as a visitor on servers, there's reason to be optimistic.

6 hours ago, Scrubsberry said:

how Wig got stuck in her character

I thought that was already esteblishhed to be in reference to her Walkyre character. To quote a summary I found from reddit:

The opera play Die Walküre (the Valkyrie) the 2nd act in the Ring Cycle by Richard Wagner. A play based on nordic mythology. It goes like this: FIRST ACT. Alberich the Nibelung has a very powerful gold ring made, stolen from the Rhinemaids. Wotan, the God of Battle and King of Gods, steals the ring to build the castle in Valhalla. Alberich curses the ring to bring death to whom ever posses it. The builders of the castle, two brother giants Fasolt and Fafner, are given the ring ring for payment. Fafner kills Fasolt, and takes off with the ring.

SECOND ACT. Wotan and Fricka, Wotan's wife and goddes marriage, are displeased with an affair on earth. Siegmund and Sieglinde, mortal humans and direct children of Wotan but not Fricka, run away together. They are both unknowingly brother and sister. Fricka says Siegmund must die. Wotan asks Brünnhilde, one of his many goddess Valkyrie daughters, to carry out the murder. Brünnhilde decides to save Siegmund instead but fails. Siegmund dies in a fire or so everyone thinks. Wotan is mad and banishes Brünnhilde on a fiery mountain top and strips her of her godly powers until a brave man saves her. This is why Wigfrid is still in character. She believes she is banished to the Constant by her father Wotan just like in the play, awaiting his rescue.

13 hours ago, Hornete said:

I see quite a few suggestions for Wigfrid getting her own boat and while it's a cool idea, how does that have anything to do with her and her character?

because we have still no new boat yet and this could be the perfect opportunity for it? 

armored boat? sea combat? wigfrid?

Vikings were above all, excelling sailors. It is proven that their weapons, armor, and combat styles were average (or in the case of the quality of their weapons, when they started with the raids, was even below average for Europe at that time).

They started imposing themselves across Europe and beyond, because of how fast and consistently were able to sail to places, they always had the element of surprise. They were towering 7 foot blonde/redhair dudes showing up out of nowhere to your town demanding to steal everything you had, basically.

So following the viking theme, I wouldn't rule out Wigfrid getting new water related stuff among her new things. 

And I'm pretty sure Klei knows that everyone likes the current status of Wigfrid, so I doubt that they will change entirely or nerf anything of what she currently has. I think her refresh will go the Wendy route: New optional stuff, and improvements on what she has already.

I think it's been mentioned in this thread that wigfrid is less a viking, more a valkyrie. besides, as much as klei is trying, the sea is an unpopular place to be compared to the mainland.

I don't particularly want a wigfrid exclusive craft to be super under utilized because it had to be on the shores.

For now, I think that sea updates should stay away from character refreshes until the ocean becomes a place that rivals the seas of shipwrecked.

Bottom line; wigfrid isn't really a viking and i don't think she should have a boat in the midst of the ocean content being a bit too tedious and treacherous for there to be a wide enough interest.

2 minutes ago, chirsg said:

I think it's been mentioned in this thread that wigfrid is less a viking, more a valkyrie. besides, as much as klei is trying, the sea is an unpopular place to be compared to the mainland.

I don't particularly want a wigfrid exclusive craft to be super under utilized because it had to be on the shores.

For now, I think that sea updates should stay away from character refreshes until the ocean becomes a place that rivals the seas of shipwrecked.

Bottom line; wigfrid isn't really a viking and i don't think she should have a boat in the midst of the ocean content being a bit too tedious and treacherous for there to be a wide enough interest.

If I understand correctly, you don't want a new boat because the sea isn't interesting?

That seems counter productive. Especially if Klei does end up making the sea good, then we'll already have the new boat ready for it.

14 minutes ago, Well-met said:

That seems counter productive. Especially if Klei does end up making the sea good, then we'll already have the new boat ready for it.

personally, I do enjoy sailing. I get very annoyed when structures fall off my boat when I go too fast, but I do enjoy sailing. the near misses can be thrilling and having people with you is even more fun (if I'm captain)

Having said that, the mainland will always be the place where don't starve together really takes off. It's the meat and potatoes of the game. The ocean for the time being is like... marmite/vegemite.

either you love it or hate it. Because of that type of division, ocean content in my opinion should not be tied to an existing character who fits other roles because it's prone to get lost on players who plain don't like the ocean or sail significantly less than the time spent on the mainland.

The thing is, the way I see it, if wigfrid has an ocean focused rework, she'll lose out on other cool ideas and concepts.

However if she does get cool armor crafts, unique weapons and a clear cut ability that sets her apart from wolfgang in combat, the addition of some boat goodies is welcome, but at that point, I feel like that's TOO big a rework.

6 minutes ago, chirsg said:

ocean content in my opinion should not be tied to an existing character who fits other roles because it's prone to get lost on players who plain don't like the ocean or sail significantly less than the time spent on the mainland.

but the old boat doesn't stop existing just because another character can craft a different one...

Many aspects of the game are lost simply because nobody on the server picks a character. Had I not tried Winona or Warly once in a while I don't think I would have ever experienced her buildings or his spice buffs. I'm not sure why this is apparently something to worry about now.

7 minutes ago, chirsg said:

The thing is, the way I see it, if wigfrid has an ocean focused rework, she'll lose out on other cool ideas and concepts.

Nobody wants wigfrid to have an ocean focused rework. It's literally just a new boat. It doesn't even have to be good.

Archived