Does anyone else get triggered when people go through your Woby?

I’m usually pretty calm, but whenever someone just strolls up to my Woby and opens it, I feel a sense of unbridled rage fill my body.

This doesn’t happen with any other followers like Chester or Hutch, just with Woby. It’s irks me badly and I don’t know why.

There's something even worse than that (for me, at least), and its passing by another player or group of players, while minding your own business, not seeing that they actually checked Woby on time, and 5 minutes later when you open your Woby to pull out that important thing you collected (EG: 4 living rabbits to finally craft the prestihatitator) it's all gone, and obviously the thief did not even use them wisely (EG: bunnies were eaten).

Woby's inventory in public servers can only be used safely to place Walter related stuff, unfortunately. And sometimes even those get stolen. 

Heh sorry I guess I'm amongst the perpetrators of this crime, he just feels like Chester or Hutch as community's moving chest. However, if you think about it, it is Walter's personal chest-friend and a natural extension of his own personal storage,; people shouldn't handle him without permission. If other Walter players also feel similarly, I thing you should add this on the How to be Curtious... thread. It's really not something you'd think muxh about without someone pointing it out.

Maybe there should be an option to command Woby if that storage is personal or public? I was honestly surprised that storage wasn't "Walter only". One of my friends picked him,  I could use Woby storage and I could even feed her (but I couldn't pet :c). Since my friend was mostly running around me and Woby was everywhere, sometimes I just missclicked her instead of chest...

It's dangerous to carry both easy-to-access resources and rare ones in Woby's backpack. There's always that one Wigfrid that grabs all your rocks you've been collecting for a boat or, as mentioned before, a few live rabbits.

It does not really feel right having Woby accessible by everyone, but i guess it's understandable that in case of Walter's death nobody could look through Woby's storage and retrieve potentially valuable resources. 

Even if it appears to be rude to check the storage of another Woby, I wouldn't consider it wrong if you do so, as long as you don't just take any items you want to have. Since players tend to leave as soon as they die, items stored in Woby's inventory have a bigger chance to disappear forever than items stored in Walter's inventory, because she doesn't drop her items if Walter dies. Especially Walters who went through all the chests in your camp should be controlled if they didn't try to sneak valuables out of your camp.

Every Walter player should face this and accept it: in a pub (the KLei wild-west variety without any moderation whatsoever - but really one should actually expect this in any server) your Woby will succumb to ransacking sooner or later (or sooner rather than later). Blame KLei for this design (having "vital" items in Woby that cannot be access after Walter's death is not a valid excuse when people fill their inventories with not-their-base stuff all time and leave servers on a whim while owner of server/base usually has no clue about said happening).

What if instead, Woby's contents were locked to the Walter owner but, if the owner dies, Woby despawns until you are alive again, and all its contents fall to the ground?

Actually when I first saw Woby I instinctively thought that would be its behavior, I was quite surprised that Woby was free to open for everyone,  and even more that it would remain and follow you after you die.

Technically speaking Chester's contents don't fall if you die, but chester himself does, not allowing you to free roam the world as a ghost carrying items. And all minions despawn when the owner dies.

3 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

What if instead, Woby's contents were locked to the Walter owner but, if the owner dies, Woby despawns until you are alive again, and all its contents fall to the ground?

That would remove Walter's ability to play as a flying Eye Bone.

3 hours ago, bruhmoment23 said:

YOUR Woby? You mean OUR Woby.

IMG_20200809_112402.png

Heh heh, yea that's the sentiment. Yesterday on a public server some Wilson encountered me, yelled I FOUND YOU! and started following me everywhere. Confused, I asked Were you looking for me?- which he confidently rebuttled with Isn't surviving together the whole point of the game? It was the plain truth so I agreed, made a base with him with him mostly attending the household chores.

37 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Isn't surviving together the whole point of the game?

From my point of view it's not.

The "Don't" in "Don't Starve Together" refers to "Starve Together", meaning you're not supposed to starve together. In other words: You fail if you AND your "friend" starves. But that's not the case if only one of you starves, because then the "AND"-condition is not fulfilled: true AND false equals false. So if your "friend" dies and you stay alive, you still fulfilled the task of the game because you didn't "Starve Together", meaning "surviving together" (which would mean you fail if you OR your "friend" starves) isn't the whole point of the game.

This is even more confirmed by the fact that the regeneration countdown starts only and only if everyone ingame starves, since you achieved "Starve Together" and thus failed your task.

12 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

There's something even worse than that (for me, at least), and its passing by another player or group of players, while minding your own business, not seeing that they actually checked Woby on time, and 5 minutes later when you open your Woby to pull out that important thing you collected (EG: 4 living rabbits to finally craft the prestihatitator) it's all gone, and obviously the thief did not even use them wisely (EG: bunnies were eaten).

Woby's inventory in public servers can only be used safely to place Walter related stuff, unfortunately. And sometimes even those get stolen. 

This actually happened to me last night. I had a bunch of bunnymen material I was using to reconstruct a bunnyman farm in Woby. On my way there, somebody opened my Woby and started eating all the carrots!

11 hours ago, gaymime said:

likely to give griefers less room for snatching things

I mean, it would be easier to just pick up rare materials and log-out. This is more of a DST problem than a Woby problem.

2 hours ago, gaymime said:

some griefers stick around to grab a full invo of stuff. i'm not saying they'd play for an hour and then go i am saying they'd spend an extra minute or five stuffing woby too just to be extra malicious

I mean, this is just the equivalent of a briefer starting willow because she starts with her lighter.

On 8/10/2020 at 1:53 AM, 1bubbainpa said:

I mean, this is just the equivalent of a briefer starting willow because she starts with her lighter.

-shrugs- not sure what to tell you. options are options. for sure though so far the only griefer in any of my worlds was a wilson all three griefers i have dealt with were wilsons so please don't assume i think all griefers pick the most useful char for prickishness

Archived