You don't need a fast solution unless you are already in so much trouble it might be too late.  If the temperature change is toward the oxygen temp then it will eventually get there.  Even if it takes 100 cycles.

If you really need it now then through flooring is the best to avoid any negative decor of radiant pipes.

1 hour ago, GoHereDoThis said:

I'm running some radiant pipes through my base but I wonder if running them along the floor (aesthetics) has any difference/benefit over running the pipes above the floor?  The floor is granite.  Thanks!

Considering how effective running temperature controlled liquid through just the exterior walls of my base is, hiding the pipes in the floors will do you just fine. 

19 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

You don't need a fast solution unless you are already in so much trouble it might be too late.  If the temperature change is toward the oxygen temp then it will eventually get there.  Even if it takes 100 cycles.

If you really need it now then through flooring is the best to avoid any negative decor of radiant pipes.

What he said... you don't gain anything from cooling tiles, machines, or buildings specifically. The only reason to cool a building is to keep it from overheating. As far as dupes are concerned, all they care about is the air temperature (or liquid temperature if they are submerged). Centralized oxygen is the way to go, it takes little energy to cool and you have a built-in distribution network. Eventually the tiles will cool to ambient temperature. This results in slightly increased cooling costs initially, but over the long run it balances out. It also keeps any one tile from taxing your cooling system too much.

Say, for example, you wanted to build a new room out of freshly refined iron or steel, your cooling loop would struggle to keep up initially if you cooled with liquid pipes. All-in-all, it's more a matter of personal preference. I typically use pipes in floors for temporary cooling of specific areas, and it works reasonably well. It's just that cooling the air makes more sense on a larger scale.

1 hour ago, GoHereDoThis said:

I'm running some radiant pipes through my base but I wonder if running them along the floor (aesthetics) has any difference/benefit over running the pipes above the floor?  The floor is granite.  Thanks!

For cooling, you want the pipes up top.  For heating, you want the pipes down low.  It makes a difference because the thermal energy prefers the "heat rises, cold sinks" rule.

Actually what you need to cool isn`t the base itself but your oxygen production facility. Dupes use up the oxygen in the base and it`s repaced with new oxygen you produce. If that oxygen is already cooled it will cool your entire base. Just run your radiant pipes next to your diffusers, electrolizers, terrariums or oxygen pipes, whatever system you use for spreading oxygen. Will be both aesthetic and effective.

3 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Actually what you need to cool isn`t the base itself but your oxygen production facility. Dupes use up the oxygen in the base and it`s repaced with new oxygen you produce. If that oxygen is already cooled it will cool your entire base. Just run your radiant pipes next to your diffusers, electrolizers, terrariums or oxygen pipes, whatever system you use for spreading oxygen. Will be both aesthetic and effective.

Yes.. and no.  It can also depend on how your base is built.  Cooling the air before it goes into the base will definitely help, but it isn't always a perfect solution.

1 minute ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Yes.. and no.  It can also depend on how your base is built.  Cooling the air before it goes into the base will definitely help, but it isn't always a perfect solution.

Of course heat sources inside the base will still be a problem but i had a lot of success placing my electrolizers near an AETN and having my base nice and cool for a long time. Just needed to keep the hot machines outside.

2 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Exactly. The way I build my bases, the only oxygen I pump into the base is for exosuits. The O2 my dupes breath in base is generated in base by oxyferns and/or algea terrarium created polluted water bottles. 

So I use a perimeter cooling loop running through my central clean water reservoir (approximately 80,000kg) kept at 25C by a combination of melted ice and a liquid tepidizer. 

This being said, I do cool the oxygen pumped into my exosuit docks to 20C via an aquatuner controlled secondary reservoir (another 48,000kg) just outside my base purely so I can run normal granite gas pipes instead of igneous insulated pipes. 

Yeah, there are some challenges with air-cooling your base. Both methods have advantages and disadvantages. In a case like beowulf2010 mentioned, where you don't use centralized oxygen production, liquid pipes are far simpler to set up. Also, unless you also place "return" gas pumps near the bottom of your base, you run the risk of areas not getting cooled because no oxygen is being consumed in that area. Of course, personally, I do that anyway because it's a handy way to also get rid of co2, natural gas, and any bits of chlorine that get in... but it does mean that air-cooling your entire base can be complicated to set up initially, especially if you want constant flow. I still think it comes with the fewest headaches in the long-term though, as expanding is usually easier once the main infrastructure is already in place.

I usually just run a water-loop with granite pipes all through my base, radiant is overkill. One exception, around my electrolysers (SPOM? What is that?) I have a double loop of radiant pipes with 20...25C water. Yes, that wastes a tiny bit of energy because the hydrogen gets cooled too.

Thanks guys.  I like a cool base even though it's not really needed.  Just like I provide showers for the dupes and I'm really particular about germs not getting into the base.

I'm not sure if I'm doing O2 correctly.  I cool it down to around 2 degrees or so by running through a cold biome, then insulated pipes to the the base, then radiant pipes inside the base.  The immediate 10 tiles or so around the pipes are cool, then a little more as the O2 spreads, but it's not as even as I like and it does not penetrate down as far as I like, even with a 5-tile wide central stairway and lots of air vent tiles along the floor.

7 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

I'm not sure if I'm doing O2 correctly.  

There is no "correctly" or "incorrectly". There are things that work and ones that do not. If your approach works, then it is "correct".

3 hours ago, GoHereDoThis said:

What I mean is that it's not working as others describe.

Most people that depend on cool oxygen to keep the base from getting warm do it by releasing the gas through multiple vents instead of running it through pipes.

Also, if you're trying to spread out the cooling effect, use granite instead of radiant piping.

If you're looking at using contents of pipes to cool, consider liquid cooling. 10 times the volume and at least double the heat capacity per gram. 

Trying to pass cooling pipes INSIDE of floor, because electrolizers, toilets, showers, sinks, etc have input pipe at first cell above ground, and output pipe at second cell. Also, as mentioned above, better cool floor, because once it is cooled, it will keep this temperature for long time, also, better cool with polluted water (if you have no enough supercoolant).

image.png

11 hours ago, GoHereDoThis said:

How is granite better than radiant pipes?

At the moment, I am using radiant (lead) pipes through the floors (granite) with pollutend H2O as coolant.

More abundant material, better effect. With radiant, you have the problem that they cool very well initially, but then just propagate the ambient temperature. Granite has worse heat-conductivity and hence affects a larger area.

Archived