Pipes inside solids transfer heat at a much higher rate than inside liquids or gases, so it's generally better to run pipes through tiles where you want to transfer heat (like important parts of the base) and through non-tiles where you don't. If you need extra fast heat transfer (like areas with lots of powerful machinery), use radiant pipes inside of metal tiles.

On 7/26/2020 at 11:53 PM, GoHereDoThis said:

How is granite better than radiant pipes?

At the moment, I am using radiant (lead) pipes through the floors (granite) with pollutend H2O as coolant.

Radiant piping in your bedrooms when you're pumping around 0 C polluted water to cool heavy machinery will be a serious problem because now things like buddy buds can't grow. Granite should be the majority of your piping. Also, when you do want to cool things like steam turbines or petroleum generators, aim for aluminum or at least copper; lead is very low in thermal conductivity compared to other refined metals.

lead is very low in thermal conductivity compared to other refined metals.

But you have a lot of free lead, and you may have no copper or aluminium at all, or too small amount.

pumping around 0 C polluted water to cool heavy machinery will be a serious problem because now things like buddy buds can't grow

Why? Previously I have around 15 steam turbines, on volcanea asteroid and I cool them with polluted water with average temperature 10c. Sometimes more sometimes less, but steam turbines was always around 40-60C.

1 minute ago, degr said:

Why? Previously I have around 15 steam turbines, on volcanea asteroid and I cool them with polluted water with average temperature 10c. Sometimes more sometimes less, but steam turbines was always around 40-60C.

The first part of the sentence specifies bedrooms, which are places where you might want things like buddy buds, which will not be fond of being set straight to 15 C.

Ah, you are about this. Actually, never met such problems, because I set up 2 or more cooling systems. If you have one, you can send cold water to your steam turbines and then to living quarters, think it should be warm enough

Running 20° polluted water through granite pipes is even fine for some industrial areas. I start with that and only add bit of gold radiant pipe for machinery. A power transformer for example only needs a single tile of radiant. Things only become a bit more problematic once you get into things like petroleum generators, but overall it's still fine.

Radiant pipe is total overkill for the core base though. The cooling you need there is minuscule. I do really like the cold oxygen approach though. Easy to do with an AETN and it lasts for hundreds of cycles. Unless you completely seal of your base things can still get a little toasty in the long run though. In my last game I only insulated the top and the sides and the left the bottom open so gasses could fall down easily. I suppose that also let heat drift up over time. Easily fixed with a cool slush geyser though. Or a parasitic loop from an aquatuner doing something else.

My biggest concern in base cooling is literally only my food wing. I spend the most energy in keeping my crops/critters happy, and I don't worry if the rest of my base hits 140F, the dupes won't be comfortable, but its fine until a long term solution can be put in place. I usually put off cooling the rest of the place until I locate an AETN, then I build a SPOM next to it, once done, I'm using 130F Water and the system is spitting out 73F Oxygen.

Archived