yet another fruit/veg poll

do you use garden plots  

73 members have voted

1. 1. do you use garden plots

• yes(i make many types of recipes and need them for ingredients)
    • yes(as quick fodder for perogis/meatballs/bac&eggs)
    • no(i make many types of recipes with gathered ingredients)
    • no(i primarily only make perogis/meatballs/bac&eggs)
    • i only use gardens as a decoration
    • i use plots in ds/dst but not ds/dst
    • i don't play the game

5 minutes ago, bruhmoment23 said:

"I use plots in ds/dst but not ds/dst"

Could you explain that option more clearly? Because i don't really get it. I'm guessing it was supposed to be "I use plots in ds but not dst"?

you use it in one game but not the other(it doesn't matter which)

Feel like I've made farm plots once or twice then gave up. Gathering all those materials just for afew fruits and veg that will most likely end up as meatball filler, or until you get a dragon fruit then just spam farm that. 

I like to play wormwood every now and then and honestly get surprised at how filling some veggies can be, like raw Corn, cooked potatoes and pumpkins, and how much hp some can give like Toma Root and Pomegranate. Tet I would still never go out of my way to make farm plots for them, because a lot of the time I'd still be getting food that's better used as filler because their main dishes don't provide much hunger and if I wanted health or sanity I'd just go for other methods, and if a recipe ever called for fruit or veg I would just use Berries from bushes or stone fruit instead. 

I feel like like the main issue comes from sustainability and reliability, I don't want to go through all the effort of creating farm plots using so much stone grass and poop (time that could be spent gathering more saplings/berry bushes/grass tufts) just to enter a lottery of of food that either fills us as little as a meat morsel or a bit over a full chunk of meat (both of which can be turned into meat balls to become farm more filling). And the bird is just a spit in the face, a 50% chance to get an extra of the type you fed to the bird back and a 50% chance to get a random one? I don't want to feed the bird for feeding the birds sake! I want to farm foods dang-it, the bird should at the very least give a 1.75 return of the fed seed variety so that the entity farming process isn't just a lottery on getting a good crop, then being able to actually propagate it, pretty much every other method of food gathering is more effective because you know what you're gonna get and you keep on getting it, sure spiders drop things other than monster meat, but those have uses completely unrelated to the food process, same with pig butt. This was more of a rant than an analysis of sorts but all my thoughts were jumbled when I just thought of how bad farming was so 

TL;DR Farming with farm plots is too random and unreliable for the cost put into it, would rather gather other food's and resources as their methods are more reliable and involved, I'll only see what a seed can sprout into because wormwood planted one into the ground.

isnt worth wasting time of all the stuff you must do to adquire few veggies/fruits that will end be eaten by an ungreatful bird

in years i only remember using farms in hamlet (im noob and i needed a fount of food and them were already placed in the farms outside of the pig city), playing as wurt to have a fount of healing (only for dragon pies, for stomach i eat avocados) and as warly because for his power ups there isnt another alternative

with the rest of character is just pointless. Even for taming a beefalo you can rely on avocados that will consum 9384593 less hours

18 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

rarely i will use them to break the monotony, but normally I'll focus on bees

I have so many hours in this game and think I've farmed bees like once or twice, I just don't understand it 

I don't feel any answer really matches my play style, but I voted "Yes, I use them for recipes" because that is closest.

By and large I do not use farms at all - but after a year or two in game I do use them in my cave base because they won't wither and will stay fresh until I pick them.  As such I can do whatever I want and return to my cave base and have plenty of food ready for me.  I don't use farms for generic filler though.  I grow dragon fruits to make dragon fruit pies, I grow corn to make powder cakes, and grow other veggies that are good to just eat raw / cooked.

Tbh i dont really agree with farms being a hassle to build. i dont get which part people have trouble with.

the 10 grass? spend a day or two in the dragonfly desert chasing tumbleweeds and u'll easily get like 80 grass. for the poop gather lightbulbs in the caves and feed them to a werepig or track a koalafant and chase it to ur base and let it poop around ive found it poops A LOT more than beefalo do.

i have a lot more fun gathering the supplies for farms rather than for rabbit hutches or pig houses which require 4 boards -> 20 wood -> 4 large trees including the stumps... 

if you build a few farms early they're a nice bonus passive food source. later after winter you can expand and focus on a specific crop like dragon fruit if u want. if i get dragon fruit early ill just feed it to a bird and save the seeds for spring. when it comes to the bird seed RNG, maybe it could be turned up a bit but i usually have pretty good luck and i like the risk/reward factor haha Bird gambling! 

51 minutes ago, Bellium said:

Don't angry bees chase you when you do?

run far with some speed modification and return to the next one. Bees are slow and you can even cross them and dont be hitten. I like to use walking cane and mag to do it quickly and safer

you can make an icefling and burn the bee box to freeze them and pick safely the honey or just make a lot offscreen and harvest them only in winter since they will not go out

Dst bees arent like DS bees, you can harvest safely with not so much problem if you keep the distance. In DS was a little harder for that exists beekeeper hat (before beequeen this was useless in dst)

I think it's fun to make different kinds of foods instead of the same thing over and over. So I like to grow random seeds in a farm plot and cook with what I get. I don't care about being super efficient or anything. I just like video game food. ^o^;>

2 hours ago, Bellium said:

Don't angry bees chase you when you do?

What others said about speed and some good spacing between the boxes, plus honey takes a long time to spoil so you can carry it without worrying about spoilage, even though bundling wrap is a thing. And it's also good for Wolfgang to keep his hunger always maxed when fighting some boss since honey is pretty fast to eat.

Lastly, it has 0 maintenance which is great if your world has disease turned on. Other farms that I find useful, low maintenance and biome independent are the pig farm in full moons and bunnymen with spiders. As long as these things are possible, farm plot is mostly for fun to me (even as Warly).

I do use garden plots very often because i play Wurt a lot. Most times i dont use crockpot, i just quickly grill veggies because its more efficient.

I do use crockpots for Creamy Pure or Salsa fresca, but try to focus on farming one of the two recipes. (2 is very grindy)

Also, dragonpies

8 hours ago, Ohan said:

Tbh i dont really agree with farms being a hassle to build. i dont get which part people have trouble with.

the 10 grass? spend a day or two in the dragonfly desert chasing tumbleweeds and u'll easily get like 80 grass. for the poop gather lightbulbs in the caves and feed them to a werepig or track a koalafant and chase it to ur base and let it poop around ive found it poops A LOT more than beefalo do.

i have a lot more fun gathering the supplies for farms rather than for rabbit hutches or pig houses which require 4 boards -> 20 wood -> 4 large trees including the stumps... 

if you build a few farms early they're a nice bonus passive food source. later after winter you can expand and focus on a specific crop like dragon fruit if u want. if i get dragon fruit early ill just feed it to a bird and save the seeds for spring. when it comes to the bird seed RNG, maybe it could be turned up a bit but i usually have pretty good luck and i like the risk/reward factor haha Bird gambling! 

Most people don't chop wood or anything of the sort for rabbit hutches or pig houses.  You just smash down the existing ones.  Each smashed one gives you 1/2 the resources to build a new one.  You can easily smash down 20 pig houses or bunny hutches and have all the resources you'd need to set up a decent farm for these mobs.  Its not like we need random piggies or bunnies roaming the countryside where we can't reliably utilize them.

Each person plays differently.  If your goal is to set up farms then you can do it.  I think boating and beefalo taming are the only things in the game that take so long you can't really get them in first autumn (and if you do, you probably didn't do much else lol.)  I'm not sure what else you're doing when you start a world.  I usually try to either raid lunar island, clear bee queen, or clear ruins, and always ko dfly in first autumn.  I'm not sure I could harvest that much grass that isn't already purposed without knocking any of those key early game plays off the schedule.  The payoff for farms is pretty slow compared to these other things I have on my "new game first autumn" check list.  It takes a couple days for the plants to grow, then you gotta feed any good crops to the birds to target the few good veggies.  This has to repeat a few times before you're even eating any good veggies, and all of the bad ones might as well be stone fruits, cactus, mushrooms, berries, carrots, or kelp which are all available with much less work.

Now if you're playing with a group and you're tasking yourself with setting up base while they explore and acquire these other goals then setting up farms can get you a jump on getting a good supply of the few valuable plants you can grow from a farm.  Especially if you're using Warly or Wurt.

I use farms for decoration and I try to grow corn/dragonfruit for powcake/pies plus getting the elusive peppers in order, but there simply isn't enough time in the day or disposable resources at my disposal to manage more than like 4 farmplots until like 2 years into the game when I get bored during springtime. Poke /u/kcda on the subreddit and he'll happily give you the farm gospel to explain why it isn't really worth it in general. 

It's a little different in team play, since you can have people dedicated to managing the base (and the farms), which also enables you to sustain a warly without getting a coronary from how annoying he is solo. 

Archived