Suggestion: Wilson's new exclusive item -- Rawling

Give Wilson a character exclusive item: Rawling?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Give Wilson a character exclusive item: Rawling?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Meh...
    • I have other ideas; see below.

Don't Starve Shipwreck has Rawling, a mysterious ball you can find in far ocean if you explore enough which talks (like Lucy). The best part is you can throw the ball and have fun (+1 sanity)! Playing a ball is totally a Together thing, so it would be so awesome for Wilson to bring his Wilson (ehem, Rawling)* to the Constant, organize his fellow Survivors, and make the surviving a little more enjoyable. Imagine we can even do Volleyball matches or something.

* Rawling is Wilson, you know.

I found that thing while playing as Walani once and freaked out. I didn’t understand what it was.. what it does, or what it wanted.

(I don’t spoil the games secrets by looking them up online I like learning things at my own pace) 

Rawling could be thrown at enemies in Shipwrecked to damage them as well (if I Remember correctly) I haven’t played Shipwrecked since DST got boats yeah.. can you believe that? Me probably the biggest advocate for Shipwrecked content in DST.. has not been playing Shipwrecked lately.

In fact I stopped playing DS single player completely and played strictly just DST until the Hamlet DLC came out, It is really hard to go back and play DS.. when DST is its canon Sequel..

As a Wendy main, it’s frustrating to go back to solo DS and have Abby die as soon as she enters into a Swamp knowing how Awesome Klei reworked her in DST.

It also feels a little empty without all my belongings and character skins.

So the TL:DR- The more of Shipwrecked & Hamlet content Klei can port over or Improve Upon adding into the Superior DST game.... the happier I’ll be.

So 1+ for adding Rawling!

Rawling was actually originally made to be an exclusive item for Watricia, a scrapped Shipwrecked character. This would have fit a Cast Away reference for her (she also would have had a mail pack). With that in mind, I don't see Rawling ever being exclusive to Wilson or any other character. It would be just as good if Rawling was added to DST without being tied to any character like he is in Shipwrecked.

The idea of Rawling floating all the way towards the ocean of the constant sounds like such a fun idea. Perhaps he could even include a bunch of new lines and a few (very subtle) references to some of the Shipwrecked cast. Maybe even a "Hey, do I know you?..." when being picked up by Warly. :highly_amused:

15 hours ago, ModsterMash said:

Rawling was actually originally made to be an exclusive item for Watricia, a scrapped Shipwrecked character. This would have fit a Cast Away reference for her (she also would have had a mail pack). With that in mind, I don't see Rawling ever being exclusive to Wilson or any other character. It would be just as good if Rawling was added to DST without being tied to any character like he is in Shipwrecked.

I'd say backstories during development probably isn't part of the lore canon, but I am not sure. In any case, we can still have other balls to throw, like the Silly Monkey Ball.

2 hours ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

This would be great. I'd love to set up a little beach volleyball area. I'm all about more fun little minigames. 

Mini Games are great, but what I really want is new levels of difficulty. Chopping a Tree in SW or Hamlet can result in spawning a hostile mob or having a coconut konk you on the head injuring your Health, things that DST does not use outside of its Underground Caves.. or the Treeguards/Birchnut Guards.

Outside of that.. Rawling being a character exclusive item I don’t agree with, it should just be an item anyone can find, I mean didn’t Return of Them start by literally having a massive tidal wave caused by a chunk of moon that fell into the ocean?

14 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Mini Games are great, but what I really want is new levels of difficulty. Chopping a Tree in SW or Hamlet can result in spawning a hostile mob or having a coconut konk you on the head injuring your Health, things that DST does not use outside of its Underground Caves.. or the Treeguards/Birchnut guards.

Not even what this thread is about. Plus, don't you have some difficult bosses to beat for the first time? 

15 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Outside of that.. Rawling being a character exclusive item I don’t agree with, it should just be an item anyone can find, I mean didn’t Return of Them start by literally having a massive tidal wave caused by a chunk of moon that fell into the ocean?

If it were an item it should just be a special item (1 per world) that can be found floating in the ocean by any character. 

Spoiler

Yeah I just want to say that any boss you can name can probably be killed with enough gunpowder charges and a carefully constructed fuse to light said gunpowder from a safe distance away.

Do I fight the bosses in DST? Hell no I do not, at least not the ones that don’t come attempting to demolish my base every other season.

What does killing bosses in this game do? Bragging rights? To measure some ego system?? Oh wait that’s right- They give you some item that makes staying alive even easier. 

Are there a million ways you can beat a boss making their existence only a minimal annoyance? Well uhh let’s count the ways, Stone Walls, Bunny Farms, Pig Farms, Catapults, Wolfgang+Warly, Gunpowder + Panflute, Treeguards, Boss + Another Boss

The TL:DR if you want to call me out for choosing not to fight totally optional raid bosses that are designed for a group of players to battle and be easy to take down as a group, I will list the multitude of ways said bosses can be dealt with for their meaningless tools to help you Survive better

now that that rant is out of the way.. yes Rawling shouldn’t be a character exclusive Item, it should be an item that can be found floating in the ocean, people can play with it, throw it, use it as a mostly ineffective weapon.. It would just be a fun little thing from Shipwrecked that people can play around with and enjoy (or not) for people who have played SW it’ll be a nod to that DLC for them, for people who have only played DST it will just be some weird new “Thing” for them to find and encounter for the first time.

Should it be a Wilson exclusive item like this thread suggests? No.. why should it be limited to just letting Wilson play with it? Why limit Rawling to only Wilson?? I don’t understand why anyone would want that.. :( 

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Hide contents

Yeah I just want to say that any boss you can name can probably be killed with enough gunpowder charges and a carefully constructed fuse to light said gunpowder from a safe distance away.

Do I fight the bosses in DST? Hell no I do not, at least not the ones that don’t come attempting to demolish my base every other season.

What does killing bosses in this game do? Bragging rights? To measure some ego system?? Oh wait that’s right- They give you some item that makes staying alive even easier. 

Are there a million ways you can beat a boss making their existence only a minimal annoyance? Well uhh let’s count the ways, Stone Walls, Bunny Farms, Pig Farms, Catapults, Wolfgang+Warly, Gunpowder + Panflute, Treeguards, Boss + Another Boss

The TL:DR if you want to call me out for choosing not to fight totally optional raid bosses that are designed for a group of players to battle and be easy to take down as a group, I will list the multitude of ways said bosses can be dealt with for their meaningless tools to help you Survive better

The point is you keep interjecting arguements about difficulty into every other thread whether it's relevant or not. At the same time, you talk in posts about still struggling with various aspects of the game or content you haven't beat yet. There's no conversation to be had about harder, more uncompromising game modes, until you actually have a grasp on the normal mode. 

6 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

The point is you keep interjecting arguements about difficulty into every other thread whether it's relevant or not. At the same time, you talk in posts about still struggling with various aspects of the game or content you haven't beat yet. There's no conversation to be had about harder, more uncompromising game modes, until you actually have a grasp on the normal mode. 

Spoiler

Dude I can go build a hundred pigman houses in this game place them in Football Helmets and let them kill the boss for me.

Theres a difference between “grasp the normal mode” and “fight bosses intended for multiple players”

And hey I tell you what- until Klei makes the game register how many players are fighting a boss and then scale them to have much more health to account for all the players fighting it together as a team, then I’ll continue to say- Grab a group of friends some armor, some weapons, spam attack button till it’s dead much faster and much easier than you ever would’ve accomplished alone.

Dont even try to argue with me.. you Know I’m right, you know that one Wendy player will take forever killing Dragonfly when a group of Wolfgang’s can accomplish the same task in a few short seconds.

i have every right to ask for boss content scaling (both downward in hp as well as upward) as you have.

But.. your derailing this thread by picking on me for not wanting to go fight some optional boss. It’s not right man, please stop.

I only brought up the trees spawning hostile mobs, BECAUSE I don’t want DST to become a peaceful mini-game playing Mario Party Simulator.. it needs to have SW/Ham levels of Uncompromising added into it.

Outside of raid bosses.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

But.. your derailing this thread by picking on me for not wanting to go fight some optional boss. It’s not right man, please stop.

You ever stopped to think WHY people talk to you like that? Because hmm...i don't know, maybe there's a vital clue as to why people despise what you bring to the table on almost every thread you post on.

Either way, back on track. Personally i would enjoy Wilson more if he had his own persona and characteristics brought as his means of survival not some cheap happy companion from solo ds, he's a scientist after all, a failed one but still a scientist.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t want DST to become a peaceful mini-game playing Mario Party Simulator.. it needs to have SW/Ham levels of Uncompromising added into it.

Minigames in DST are luxuries for players that have the excess time, resources, and safety to do so. It doesn't lessen the threat of death at all. 

Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together are different in their designs because they're different in their goals. It's like comparing Super Mario Bros. 2 to Mario Party. One is a challenging solo only experience and the other is a fun time with other people. Trying to impose the same metrics to both isn't going to work. 

14 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Minigames in DST

Curio Collector should be the only guy with mini games unless it's special case like the pig king.

Pearl's quests should be more what the devs should stride for. Isn't that what Mumsy does?

9 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Curio Collector should be the only guy with mini games unless it's special case like the pig king.

Pearl's quests should be more what the devs should stride for. Isn't that what Mumsy does?

Jackpot, what if at the end of Pearls quests she rewarded you with Rawling? 

Or if you just found it randomly floating in the ocean like you do Pearls bottles.

I just don’t see the point in it being a Wilson exclusive item, especially since the first time I ever encountered it I was playing as Walani and it freaked me the heck out.

I can see it being a useful tool for drawing enemy Aggro early game.. when you don’t have a ice staff or boomerang or a Walter on your team.. you can chunk it at enemies to get their attention to come after you.

I would use this thing to draw a Cookie Cutter away from its horde, or to maybe Aggro a Shark or something.. the potential for its uses are there, to me it would just feel like a thing that is a nod towards the Shipwrecked DLC, but to people who have never played SW.. it will be like how it was when I first encountered it in SW.. a “What the Heck is this Thing?!?!” Type of Moment.

35 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I guess it just boils down to what each player finds fun. I find the Curio games uninteresting enough I can't be bothered to even get the icon reward for "beating" them. 

While I enjoyed doing Pearl's Quest, because I enjoy playing DST, it was really just a glorified series of fetch quests locked behind seasonal gates. Not saying it was bad at all, but it wasn't the end all be all of activities for the game. 

26 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

I guess it just boils down to what each player finds fun. I find the Curio games uninteresting enough I can't be bothered to even get the icon reward for "beating" them. 

While I enjoyed doing Pearl's Quest, because I enjoy playing DST, it was really just a glorified series of fetch quests locked behind seasonal gates. Not saying it was bad at all, but it wasn't the end all be all of activities for the game. 

Mini-games (both Curio Cabinet games and In-Game ones..) are fun, and Klei should add more of them in a variety of ways.

I suggested a few awhile back like a micro version of a Forge Survival Arena or a Gorge Style Cook Em Up Mini game.. 

I would have both of these in-game events triggered by presenting a particular item to the Pig King. (Like how you can trade him a championship belt to get hilariously smacked around by pig warriors carrying large wooden signs for a little while) 

I draw the line when Mini-Games becomes the biggest content draw, I want Shipwrecked and Hamlet style features in DST, both for the “life” something like Piko brings to Trees, as well as the “challenge” something like an entire biome covered in toxic gases brings.. I don’t mind more mini-games, they’re a fun little distraction from the core game..

But I also would like to see new islands with harder content drawing inspiration from ideas Klei used in Single Player DS and its DLC Expansions.

Since this is slightly off topic, but still slightly on topic- How the heck would a Wilson exclusive Rawling be used for a Volleyball mini-game anyway?

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

How the heck would a Wilson exclusive Rawling be used for a Volleyball mini-game anyway?

How are you responding to this post if you cannot answer this question of your own?

17 hours ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Dont forget batilisk and cookie cutters xDDD

17 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

How the heck would a Wilson exclusive Rawling be used for a Volleyball mini-game anyway?

It wouldn't be Wilson exclusive. The Rawling would almost function like a boomerang. Throw it, then either catch it, or hit it back. A button prompt would come up when the in-air Rawling is close to a player for them to interact with it. The idea would be that with good timing two (or more) players could keep hitting the ball back and forth to each other. 

If Rawling lost the sanity gain on throw I would be okay with it being added, just as a generic item though.

Seriously, get up against some obstacles, and spam throw/pick up Rawling and you will go from 0%-100% sanity in like a minute.

I could see Volleyball being a fun little extra activity, in the vein of rat races. I would rather pretty much ANYTHING ELSE get added to the game, but I guess it could be fun.

On 7/9/2020 at 7:33 AM, minespatch said:

Lucy would see a friend in Rawling.

Until Woodie unequips Lucy in order to equip Rawling. Lucy would then enter a jealous rage, blaming everything on Rawling. She would start drinking more and more, until Woodie has enough, and leaves... with Rawling. Lucy then enters the ultimate downward spiral, starting to smoke, and drink even more, until... Woodie tries cutting a tree, at which moment Lucy teleports to his hands (yes, this is a thing). A touching reunion takes place, that takes Lucy out of depression, and back into the loving hands of Woodie. Rawling would then be catapulted by Winona's catapult, far, far away. Rawling would fly so far away, eventually it would strike the ground so hard, that it would be the reason the Ancient Hulk of Hamlet broke apart in the first place.  

Archived