Remember to check out the DST Suggestions tab every now and again

Few people post in the "Suggestions" tab regularly anymore, and even fewer both view and comment on them as well (most posts don't get many comments, views, or reactions at all when compared to "General Discussions"). Nowadays suggestions get posted in "General Discussions" because they are much more often viewed by others, and because the general consensus is that "no one looks in suggestions anyways"; but don't forget that there are a lot of passionate people that want to put their two cents in to make what they believe will improve the game, and the "Suggestions" tab is the resource used to convey those ideas.

Also I do apologize if my tone comes off as though I am blaming others, as that is neither my intention nor do I believe that anyone is at fault. I simply wanted to raise awareness for the passionate people that take the time to post what they believe will improve DST. Truth be told, I'm no better myself; but I will endeavor to do better myself.

Don't forget to:

• Read and react to the ones you like
  • Comment on the ones you want to discuss / want to improve on
  • Post your own suggestions and whatnot

I know you posted this with good intent, but very few people are actually going to change their forum activity over this, But because of this post I will now go post something in the suggestions tab!

(yes it will be far fetched, highly unlikely to actually happen and silly, but it’s something a seriously would like to have and hopefully others want it too! I will be posting this NOT as a Troll post, it’s all in good fun.)

Just now, Sinister_Fang said:

I used to pop into suggestions and feedback regularly, but I eventually got tired of reading countless suggestions that just don't fit the feel of the game.

A lot of them are character suggestions that would fit being modded than being official. Mechanics should be discussed over characters. Same with game quality.

23 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I used to pop into suggestions and feedback regularly, but I eventually got tired of reading countless suggestions that just don't fit the feel of the game.

Suggestions are suggestions man good or terrible, everyone’s got suggestions and I respect all of them even if they can get really weird at times also the new one I just posted fits into that same does not fit the game category, but you know what? Considering the current community choice Vignette vote I felt it was appropriate. ;)  

*shrugs*

No one visits the suggestions forum because 95% of it is suggesting pointless buffs, nerfs, features that don't fit, don't have purpose, or are way too hard to code for little gain.

You are more likely to receive... critique for posting bad suggestions when you are on General.

I think we talked about this a few months back (and probably a bunch of times before that), and on top of the low interest in responding to posts which results in less traffic, the lack of responses and traffic result in less posts which result in even less traffic/interest.

Add to that Klei has stated they more or less like to hear what the community has to say to gauge where our heads are at, but generally prefer to do their own thing as they have their own plans and ideas that usually don't coincide with what the community thinks up (this isn't verbatim, and I don't remember where this was said, but I remember a comment from Klei along these lines).

Furthermore all the exciting stuff happens in GD. Update threads, dev threads, etc.

This all adds up to a situation where it is extremely hard to keep interest/enthusiasm for the Suggestion Section up. It isn't a knock against Klei, and it isn't a knock against the community, it's just what it is.

The best thing to do is what @Owlrus98 is doing here in this thread, which is drawing attention to the issue. Last time, I suggested we all make a concerted effort to liven up the Suggestion Section and increase traffic......and I followed my own advice for like 2 hours before I forgot all about it lol. 

But that's really all there is to do. I do think we should remember though, a bulk of the more interesting content here on the forums is generated by the community itself. So really the community is the entity with the power to change the state of the Suggestion Section.

I'll personally make another effort to spend more time over there. Even if its just quoting one sentence of a post and saying "I do like this part of the idea" or even just throwing out a like or 2 every now and then. I think as the section becomes stronger it will become easier to keep interest growing.

Hell, I know @Mike23Ua and I are always down for some verbal sparring no matter the section. If that's what it would take to bring Suggestions back to life i'm sure we can make it happen.

Of course, this may just end up driving even more people away from Suggestions.

Edit: I also still think moving the Suggestion Section directly under GD (just above the console sections) would help. It is currently buried toward the bottom of the DST section list.

Unfortunatelly majority of posts in SaF are something like "Add squirells" and that's it, that's the entire post.

I myself regulary visit that subforum and the ratio of good posts to bad posts really is something like 1:5

Tho when you find a good post, that author of, you can tell, is passionate about their idea, it's nice.

To be honest, I'm of the point of view that sadly:

- people cant be forced to post in other, less active subforums

- people will gravitate to posting in DST's GenDisc just because its more active there for better or for worse. Not just suggestions but also issues entirely for other forums e.g. console forums

22 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

- people will gravitate to posting in DST's GenDisc just because its more active there for better or for worse. Not just suggestions but also issues entirely for other forums e.g. console forums

Well this one is pretty self explanatory too, people post here in General Discussion instead of on their respective platforms forums because this is not labeled as PC Discussion or Steam Discussion but rather General Discussion, which would imply all consoles correct?

Besides have you actually bothered to check those other platforms respective discussion forum activity? Aside from the occasional Developer Update log or forum member bringing up bug issues (which again equally has its own forum for posting that stuff to) Those forums are Deader than my relationships have been, and I’ve been single since 2007.. soooo yeah. They Dead.

Anyway, These forums are also quite confusing too, we have forum sections for general discussion, but then we also have forum sections for Return of them, but since RoT is now a core part of the game doesn’t that also fall under General Discussion?

the ONLY separate forum I see a point in for Return of Them content is the BETA discussion because THAT is actually running a different version of the game.

If I wanted to start right now talking about how cute Saladmanders are does that go in General Discussion or does it go in Return of Them discussion? And before you answer that- pretend you just picked this game up for the first time yesterday....

how the bloody heck you gonna know the difference? 

10 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Well then this is just a spiral of doom of sorts.

People won't visit SaF cuz it's unpopular and it's unpopular cuz people don't visit it.

We have to go out of our way and start visiting that place if we want more people to visit it as well

...Although Klei could always just move SoF a little bit higher, maybe below RoT subforum...

11 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Add squirells" and that's it, that's the entire post.

What's wrong with that? I personally dislike most big huge ideas like biomes, or entirely new mechanics in the subforum, Most of the simple ones are my favourite and I find some would make great additions despite being small.

4 minutes ago, Hornete said:

What's wrong with that?

Simple ideas don't really result in any discussions since… what's to discuss? You can either agree or disagree. 

If there's no discussion then subforum is less active and when it's less active it leads to this- people having to remind others that that subforum exists.

I didn't say that simple ideas are bad. It's just that… they're simple

2 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Simple ideas don't really result in any discussions since… what's to discuss? You can either agree or disagree. 

If there's no discussion then subforum is less active and when it's less active it leads to this- people having to remind others that that subforum exists.

I didn't say that simple ideas are bad. It's just that… they're simple

I dont see what's wrong with no discussions. It's a suggestions and feedback subforum, not a discussion forum.

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

I'd rather not push the devs with big ideas. They seem busy with four different games.:wilson_dorky:

That’s the thing though man a lot of times these devs want that extra input from the community, not one individual persons ideas But rather the Community as a Whole, as in Everyone playing the game.. With that information they can see what the people playing their game really wants to see Happen and with that they can decide where they want to invest their resources into.

I mean honestly.. what do you think the cause of these character reworks has been? They don’t suddenly just decide that characters that have been the same since 2013 should start getting major overhauls in 2019/2020 out of thin air... they are making these changes BECAUSE of Us, Us- As a Whole.. not as any one particular person, they heard our complaints and opinions about how single player characters designed for single player gameplay does not really go over all that well within a Multiplayer game.

They KNOW we want to see more team based Synergies like Wortox+Wormwood+Wickerbottom.

Even the 2020 roadmap they spoke of how We the community are helping to shape the games future. 

So in conclusion- post your ideas, post what you want to see, don’t be afraid of posting something just because you feel like Ehh I’ll just let Klei do their thing. Klei WANTS to see and hear that stuff.

(just uhh don’t get crazy with your ideas and request Harley Quinn’s Mallet or something, because I’m sure the chances of you getting that are zero & none.) 

Archived