Do you want the Old Bell or "Biiigfoot" to return to DST?

Do you want the Old Bell or "Biiigfoot" to return to DST?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the Old Bell or "Biiigfoot" to return to DST?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care
    • What is the Old Bell?

2 minutes ago, Well-met said:

yes please. I wanna see it and I really don't care about DS1.

Also the griefer argument is void. A torch does a better job.

They left DS1 to die. People who don't want Bigfoot in DST because of griefing have nothing to stand on. Klei might as well remove torches.

Not really. The only thing the Old Bell has ever been good for is mass log farming and its re-addition would only devalue existing characters and items that are designed to do that (Woodie, Maxwell, Warly, Moon Glass Axe).

I do, however, want some new crafting recipe that makes use of Glommer's drop, since it feels so wasteful to have 2 items that serve no purpose other than being glorified firepit fuel.

Just now, QuartzBeam said:

Not really. The only thing the Old Bell has ever been good for is mass log farming and its re-addition would only devalue existing characters and items that are designed to do that (Woodie, Maxwell, Warly, Moon Glass Axe).

I do, however, want some new crafting recipe that makes use of Glommer's drop, since it feels so wasteful to have 2 items that serve no purpose other than being glorified firepit fuel.

That last part I agree with for certain.

Just now, QuartzBeam said:

I would want to see a better use for Old Bell IF they added in on DST.

42 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

I don't want it in the game because of how griefy it is. Sure, people say not to account griefing when deciding a items fate but this is just way to much to be overlooked. It's power would be one of the highest forms of grieving to ever be produce because of one simple concept: Fire can negated with planning and proper item using, hammers don't do much if you act fast enough, there is nothing you can do to stop a big f@@king foot deceding from the heavens to destroy.

has the same destructor power as a torch in terms of destroy a base

22 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Besides that, while you can use Ice Flingomatics or your Ice Staff against fire, or ressources to rebuild the few smashed structure, there's no way you could stop Bigfoot from stomping your whole base.

30 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

Fire can negated with planning and proper item using, hammers don't do much if you act fast enough, there is nothing you can do to stop a big f@@king foot deceding from the heavens to destroy.

These are some of the weirdest takes on griefing I've heard, to the point where it almost feels like y'all are playing an entirely different game with different mechanics. If someone wants to burn your base, there's way way more factors than just "if you have a flingo/ice staff then you're immune to fire." For example, there is nothing stopping someone from entering your base, hammering your flingo, then setting everything on fire. And if you have an ice staff? You likely don't have infinite ice staffs. A griefer isn't just gonna see you blast a fire with ice and then immediately back off, they're gonna keep setting more fires until you can't keep up and then eventually run out of staffs.

I'm also super confused about "hammers don't do much if you act fast enough." Act fast enough how? If you're on your own hosted server and in the middle of base then maybe you could ban them instantly, but on a pub there's literally nothing you can do except vote-kick them, which takes long enough that they'll have taken out a big chunk of structures.

With all this in mind, the old bell really isn't that bad in terms of intentional griefing. I'd still say it shouldn't be in DST as-is though, because of unintentional griefing. Example being that if I ring the bell in my tree farm, it's going to jump in from offscreen, meaning it could take out anything (including structures or players) in the general area, then do the same on its way out. If the old bell was modified to only strike the spot where you ring it, I think it'd be okay.

In all of these cases, the best thing you'll be able to do is kick and roll-back to before the damage was done. Assuming everyone on the server believes you or witnesses it... and assuming you witness it, as another one of those factors I mentioned is that you aren't going to spend the entire game in your base. Someone could find your empty base, torch it, then leave the scene of the crime before you ever even notice.

1 hour ago, TheGoldenDonut_ said:

We need a disease cure.

No we don’t... I want an uncompromising mode, I want stuff and things that happen that DONT have an answer for them, If disease had a cure it would be just like wildfires... a threat that becomes a non-threat once you obtain the items to deal with said threat.

But I get it... some of you guys want to build these 3,000 day worlds and build massive huge pretty bases and live in that world forever, which is EXACTLY Why There should be alternate game modes.

Your (mostly peaceful) base building experience with the games default settings and problems that also have items that overcome said problems- Such as Wildfires and Iceflingo’s.

then there should be a mode where pure chaos happens, natural disasters like earthquakes, landslides, Tornadoes, floods, things that DONT have an item you can craft that makes the threat null & void. A mode where you will be FORCED to make impulse decisions when you least expect them.. If a for example a narrow bridge of land walkway you were used to taking Suddenly collapses into the ocean due to Antlion craters smashing it... you will need to find Alternative methods of getting around that now collapsed bridge of land. A mode where each day of staying alive is an accomplishment in its own right.

The TL:DR- If every problem had a way to counter said problem, then eventually that problem just becomes a Non-Problem.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

No we don’t... I want an uncompromising mode, I want stuff and things that happen that DONT have an answer for them, If disease had a cure it would be just like wildfires... a threat that becomes a non-threat once you obtain the items to deal with said threat.

But I get it... some of you guys want to build these 3,000 day worlds and build massive huge pretty bases and live in that world forever, which is EXACTLY Why There should be alternate game modes.

Your (mostly peaceful) base building experience with the games default settings and problems that also have items that overcome said problems- Such as Wildfires and Iceflingo’s.

then there should be a mode where pure chaos happens, natural disasters like earthquakes, landslides, Tornadoes, floods, things that DONT have an item you can craft that makes the threat null & void. A mode where you will be FORCED to make impulse decisions when you least expect them.. If a for example a narrow bridge of land walkway you were used to taking Suddenly collapses into the ocean due to Antlion craters smashing it... you will need to find Alternative methods of getting around that now collapsed bridge of land. A mode where each day of staying alive is an accomplishment in its own right.

The TL:DR- If every problem had a way to counter said problem, then eventually that problem just becomes a Non-Problem.

The only reason I want a cure is because it makes twigs and berries nonrenewable.

9 minutes ago, TheGoldenDonut_ said:

The only reason I want a cure is because it makes twigs and berries nonrenewable.

Exactly what I just said- there should be alternate modes for that AND the big foot. 
The foot to me just feels like an alternative to a tornado, something you can’t prevent or have an answer for that destroys a large area.

If your wanting your worlds to last forever then obviously your NOT going to want this Bigfoot or Disease without a cure.

But if your like me and most your worlds only last about 300-500 days anyway before you grow bored and delete them to start a fresh one, then Maybe I wouldn’t ever get bored if literally every little problem didn’t have an item that completely nullifies said problem. 

I don’t come to these forums and repeat myself like a broken record because I want a Klei to RUIN their game, lol I come here repeating myself this way because literally if ANY Game on this planet can be accessible both to people who just want to build mega bases and live in the same world forever, and for the people who wants every single day of survival to have been an accomplishment in its own right, That Content, those game modes CAN Exist.

There is an option to choose how slow or how fast or even if disease even happens in your world at all is there not??? 
Then Someone please tell me why there can’t be an ADDITIONAL option below that with the simple description reading as Cureable? And the option to toggle Yes or No.

This lets YOU have a Cure for it and for it to become yet another minor hassle with an answer to, and let’s ME see it as an actual threat that can end my worlds existence.

I would put Bigfoots foot into this category (but not the bell no one needs a bell to control where a gigantic foot stomps down... that just sounds like Grief material in a multiplayer game.)

24 minutes ago, TheGoldenDonut_ said:

Not defending the disease feature, however twigs are still renewable by either twiggy trees or spiky bushes, since they are both immune to disease !

Well guys, this game (DST) has this real pretty but mostly not as complete as it COULD Be server settings option menu that lets you toggle on and off as well as how slow or how fast various different things work.

this suggestion the Old Bell and the Bigfoot fall into this Category, They should be toggleable for those who WANT it, but completely able to be shut off for those who don’t want anything at all to do with it. 
Simple stuff like Bigfoots foot enabled yes/no, then if yes is toggled on an additional option pops up Old Bell usable By player Yes/No

This lets the foot appear as an AI Only threat if the foot is enabled as Yes, but the Bell itself useable by player is enabled as No.

I campaign so hard for changes to this game because a few extra toggle options can make all the differences in the world, imagine if Butterflies had menu options for- Restore Health & Hunger Points- Yes/No/Only Health/Only Hunger.

This Game NEEDS toggle options for Stuff like this... and I hope that eventually someone somewhere sees that I’m not just talking about stuff that just can’t possibly ever happen.

10 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Well guys, this game (DST) has this real pretty but mostly not as complete as it COULD Be server settings option menu that lets you toggle on and off as well as how slow or how fast various different things work.

this suggestion the Old Bell and the Bigfoot fall into this Category, They should be toggleable for those who WANT it, but completely able to be shut off for those who don’t want anything at all to do with it. 
Simple stuff like Bigfoots foot enabled yes/no, then if yes is toggled on an additional option pops up Old Bell usable By player Yes/No

This lets the foot appear as an AI Only threat if the foot is enabled as Yes, but the Bell itself useable by player is enabled as No.

I campaign so hard for changes to this game because a few extra toggle options can make all the differences in the world, imagine if Butterflies had menu options for- Restore Health & Hunger Points- Yes/No.

This Game NEEDS toggle options for Stuff like this... and I hope that eventually someone somewhere sees that I’m not just talking about stuff that just can’t possibly ever happen.

I feel like Klei doesn't use toggle options enough.

Just now, TheGoldenDonut_ said:

I feel like Klei doesn't use toggle options enough.

And that’s a shame! Food Restores Health Points- Yes/No 

I can go on and on and on... we don’t need MODS we need toggle options. Mods should Never be the only answer.

56 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

For example, there is nothing stopping someone from entering your base, hammering your flingo, then setting everything on fire. And if you have an ice staff? You likely don't have infinite ice staffs. A griefer isn't just gonna see you blast a fire with ice and then immediately back off, they're gonna keep setting more fires until you can't keep up and then eventually run out of staffs.

If it's a newcomers base, then there indeed is nothing stopping someone from entering their base, hammering their flingo, and then setting everything on fire. But in that case, Kick & Rollback does work pretty fine since everyone profits from that base. Loosing a place where you can collect cut grass or twigs, prototype things, or make Crock Pot dishes is something you can't really afford which helps undoing the mischief. Also not every griefer I saw had the knowledge that an Ice Flingomatic is able to get rid of fire, they did more like just try to burn everything quickly in rage.

Ice Staffs are quite effective against most kind of fires, except on farms where you should rely more on waterballoons or the Luxury Fan. I indeed don't have an infinite amount of Ice Staffs, but the same thing goes to the griefer who does not have an infinite amount of torches or infinite amount of time to fulfill their work. And in some cases, kicking a griefer takes even less than 30 seconds to succeed.

Also if it's not a newcomers base, then there are things which stop others from entering it.

Archived