Ideas on Walter's Slingshot, and other ranged weapons

So Walter having a slingshot in his teaser has sparked a lot of conversation here, and I want to throw my hat into the ring. My main hope for how Walter's slingshot works is that you will have to aim it with your cursor instead of just holding f to fire. Think of the Fire dart's special attack from the Forge. The reason why I want this is because then using the weapon would require at least some degree of player interaction. If you've ever used a mass amount of darts, you just hold f and your target eventually dies. Melee is different in this case because you have to kite, which is something. If you don't want to kite, you can tank which requires more resources and puts yourself at risk.

In other words, Because of the inherent upside of a ranged weapon being that it puts the user in less danger, said weapon would need to require some sort of skill and/or player interaction to compensate. Hell, if people enjoy the system, it can be ported to darts (and while you're at it make them cheaper)

Imo, the arrow that appears on the ground when you're aiming with a forge weapon's special attack should be present at all times when holding the slingshot. Having a system "aim" and "un-aim" would most likely overcomplicate things, as you can just unequip it.

My second hope is that you'll have to manually load it after every shot (think Blunderbuss). While this may sound doo doo and tedious, I'm assuming that you can load it with rocks and stuff which are super easy to come by. Plus, if you can just hold your cursor over a mob and not move it, you may as well be holding f at that point. It will probably become really easy to quickly reload once you get used to it. 

To wrap up with a final wish, a easy-to-amass ammo in the early game can do 34 damage or something along those lines (remember that you will always outDPS with a spear assuming you'll need time to reload with slingshot), while also having a late-game alternative to match the dark sword in terms of damage-per-shot, just so Walter's main gimmick doesn't become obsolete after early-game.

There’s also the whole Xbox/PS4 Thing and how that would even work on a Console.

On PC I imagine it’s as simple as moving your mouse in the direction your wanting to aim clicking in your mouse click button to pull back the sling shot and then firing.

Since Consoles do not free aim with well uh Anything except maybe Wortox’s Soul hop (which is still limited to only the direction he is facing in and you have to maneuver him around to line the soul hop location up where your wanting to go) 

I guess doing it like Wortox soul hops MIGHT work, but it would be a hassle. (Probably) but I’m no Developer and since they’ve been working on this guy for quite some time I’m confident that they’ve got how he performs using an Xbox/PS4 controller down pat by now.

The only thing that Debunks the above- Is that Consoles STILL do not Have Hamlet, so the (Ranged Combat) Characters like Wheeler have never existed for Consoles.

I can make suggestions like tapping left on Dpad to auto load rocks from your inventory into the slingshot, and then hold down x to activate a “Strength Meter” as to how far your rocks are going to go when you let go of the X Button but honestly....

If they are this far along in the development process of Walter then it’s probably far too late for me to be making suggestions on how he should play using an Xbox Controller. 

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

console

This is actually something I did not consider. Perhaps Walter can utilize the arrow on the ground as his primary method of aiming instead of relying on cursor position. As for reloading, I got nothing. I have never touched console DS/T a day in my life so I wouldn't know how that would work.

6 minutes ago, Canis said:

This is actually something I did not consider. Perhaps Walter can utilize the arrow on the ground as his primary method of aiming instead of relying on cursor position. As for reloading, I got nothing. I have never touched console DS/T a day in my life so I wouldn't know how that would work.

Yeah sadly this game leaves me feeling like ALOT of it was designed strictly with PC play in mind, especially as a WENDY Main.. I mean honestly Klei why is Burning Abigails flower even a thing??? 
(You’ve probably heard me complain about accidental flower passing to other players or thrown into fires when trying to control her) You have to proceed with caution and move far enough away from other players or campfires to NOT do something undesirable with Abigails flower.

on a boat... especially! 

But- Hopefully Walter (And Wheeler if she ever gets added) will work decently for us console players :) 

I haven't been contributing much to predicting or brainstorming Walter's perks, mainly the obvious slingshot, but I like this idea a lot, as some people might get fast enough to just hold F and reload crazy fast with a usual ranged weapon, making it a weak dart machine gun. As the slingshot will also need to be reloaded, with your idea it'd make Walter able to pick and choose targets instead of having a random one chosen after reloading, as holding F after doing something else targets the next closest enemy (given you're ever in a situation like that.)

As for ideas I had just thought that Walter could have some splash damage given that there are shown to be multiple stones when seeing rocks either on the ground or in your inventory. The way this could work is comparable to the darts special from the Forge, where you'd right click and launch a volley of darts in a direction. Walter's slingshot could launch a small cluster of rocks in a direction with an amount of spread that depends on both how much you charge it and from your distance to the enemy/enemies.

Although I'm comparing quite a bit to the Forge, it might also be neat for Walter to grab a large amount of aggro with a ranged attack as well, maybe using flint or the splash damage from rocks. Flint for pulling bigger enemies away from your friends or for distracting a bunch of spiders that had just started stunlocking an armored player.

New characters are usually given large amounts of thought and have already planned gimmicks, so I don't really talk about what ideas I would have, as the devs at Klei always surprise me. 

Certain craftable ammo would be nice though, as it would make Walter flexible and able to bring the right ammunition for the occasion. (and maybe implement stingers as a crafting material.)

As for console use for these ideas, maybe click in the right stick specifically with the slingshot to aim with it, as clicking in right stick beforehand would cause you to lock-on to an enemy. Changing this for the slingshot would make it so Walter can instead aim via right stick, and moving around right stick to navigate your inventory would have it be locked in its previous space, making it easy to just tap one of the D-pad buttons to load ammo, click right stick, aim, fire, and return your attack mode to inventory navigation mode. I'm not very knowledgeable with coding, much less controller configuration, but this is the only idea I've got for implementing this idea to console. As for Wendy, if you're lucky you can just lock-on to Abigail and unsummon her that way, from any distance if you've previously locked on to her. :D

There are so many possibilities for this weapon, depending on how creative you're willing to get. Sorry for this wall of text!

Everything that balance range weapon is welcome  Range weapons are so broken in a game that 90% mobs are melee and 100% pf them are more slow than the player so expect for klei something more balance than the pew matic (that was stupid in mechanic and damage)

I always felt darts are long ranged melee weapons. You don't efforts on it and darts gets shot himself automatically. Power meter is smart idea but İ think ammo variaton should be limited by minerals/stones, maybe stonefruit too (A useful way to broke that veggies). I always find stupid Wheeler's pewomatic. It's throwmatic. Also I think it's not normal somebody use manure and seeds at slingshots.

Imo damage should not be that high. He is a kid and he has a toy ranged weapon. But his shot speed should be fast (I remember some kids shot stones to the chickens so fast when I was kid, but my mom didn't bought a slingshot bc it's dangerous lol). 

i really like that idea. Using the forge doohicky spiffys aiming on ranged weapons will make it into a balanced viable. Only thing i'd add would be the ability to equip ammo without dragging it around using a hotkey if the slot is empty, that way it wouldn't really be as op as it is just convenient. 

Maybe rework darts to do 50 damage, require 10 hounds tooth and have 50 shots/uses, and make them use crow feathers instead for accessibility sake, make Sleep darts use the blue feathers instead.

The console problem is a thing, but I like the idea to hold the button to charge it for max power. Or the charge could go up and down and we would have to release the button at the good moment for max damage.

Or, holding the button would make stop the character, then we'd be able to aim with the moving left stick. But I'm not sure, would you like to not being able to move while you're aiming ?

It'd be really cool if Walter came with some sort of ranged weapon update, revamping ranged combat, making darts balanced but useful rather than having to craft each and every single dart individually for ammunition, maybe some new ranged options? :o

Archived