Help choosing crude oil to sour gas boiler

9 minutes ago, psusi said:

I only see one NG pump in there.  If 3.5 kg/s of crude goes in then isn't that going to produce way more than 500g/s of NG that will need to be pumped out?

The pump to gas storage is an unlimited pressure bypass that sucks to vacuum every other tick (top left).

image.png.e452783a2c5c0f15fd6307df1c12b8

1 hour ago, nakomaru said:

The pump to gas storage is an unlimited pressure bypass that sucks to vacuum every other tick (top left).

Yes, but in that storage there is only one pump to send the gas out to NG gens.

On 6/1/2020 at 2:55 PM, nakomaru said:

Because it's an open system with regards to oil in and gas/sulfur out, any imbalance in SHC will be carried by the final temperature difference in the input/ouputs in a perfectly efficient system and reach a steady-state.

A simpler example is that when converting oil to petroleum at 100% efficiency, your petroleum output will always be higher than your oil input. This changes depending on your starting temperature, but here is an example. (300K input → 312.4K output).

image.png.73db9314fd3b9cf2ab2c469445b34c5c.png

Less than 100% efficiency is okay too. It will just increase the output steady state (it will make the -635 number closer to 0).

Oh, I didn't think of that. Thanks, it makes complete sense!

Underway to my PoC. Building even in debug takes some time. I don't know, if it will work, but as always science and engineering dictates, i have to try.

PoC240.thumb.png.5706c4cc2ba6e6487203b806aaf856c8.png

If my math served me right, i have around 28MDTU/s to kill from conversion of sour gas to nat gas, that's the reason for the 24 ATs. Maybe the shafts are to short, i will see... could not wrap my brain around to calculate min or optimal length... brain too rusty.

IF it will work, you have to decide:

1. where to put 1778 nat gas generators

2. what to do with 1.422 MW of energy

3. how to handle 120 kg/s polluted water OR steam

4. how to handle 40kg/s CO2

The design is ALMOST feasible, as there are maps with 60+ oil wells or in other words 200kg/s crude oil. :mrgreen:

20 hours ago, TripleM999 said:

The design is ALMOST feasible, as there are maps with 60+ oil wells or in other words 200kg/s crude oil

There are?  Jesus!  I thought my current map had a lot.  I think it has 3 or 4 pairs of them and one or two lone ones.

1 hour ago, mathmanican said:

I only see 24 pumps... You left one out, as max flow is 250.  Was the extra one left out for safety measures. :) 

24 pumps or 240kg crude makes the math more appealing. 160kg NG and many more. :grin: I have a showstopper though at the moment, and i hope, you as the liquid magician can help. The bead pump don't want to start, either what amount of crude i throw at it. It beads one time and then drips. Has for sure to do with liquids liking it more to move left, instead of right.

BeadProb.thumb.png.0700f6dc80ee2e93c724b279775cc8b7.png

Even the classical approach with a vent above a mesh tile wont work. one bead, rest drops.

1 hour ago, psusi said:

There are?  Jesus!  I thought my current map had a lot.  I think it has 3 or 4 pairs of them and one or two lone ones.

With https://toolsnotincluded.net/map-tools/map-browser you can filter for oil reservoir, count at least 60. The current DB contains exactly 1 map. But there were much more, around 20 before.

1 minute ago, mathmanican said:

Your pump is on the incorrect side. 

so single bead HAS to be on the left side? As you showed left AND right side beads/waterfalls too.

30 minutes ago, TripleM999 said:

one bead, rest drops.

Another possible issue is flaking.  If flaking occurs, then lots of the liquid stops beading. So if you hit the conditions to force flaking to happen...

25 minutes ago, TripleM999 said:

so single bead HAS to be on the left side? As you showed left AND right side beads/waterfalls too.

In that post, you'll find a collection of 128 different pictures, illustrating how to form waterfalls off the left.  In a few cases, you get a bead on the left.  

Because of the complexity of making waterfalls off the right, I didn't bother testing that case, and didn't check 128 different configurations.  It is my best guess that the issues is the side you built your pump on.  However, it looks like you have the tenacity to check all possible configurations on the right. If you want to do it for us, and share, I'd love to see the results. This picture might help you setup a test scenario on the right. 

waterfall-jump-start-config.png.de519edb338d1899cb7d19bbcd244d9f.png

I know the thread is about waterfalls, but you get bead pumps in some configurations. 

@TripleM999, another simple option might be to move your door 2 tiles down, so you get the required waterfall start configuration. That's my first simple thought, but I can't open up ONI right now to test. Leave the sensor where it is.  Unfortunately, this means you'll be dropping 2 full tiles of liquid right off the bat...

3 minutes ago, TripleM999 said:

quite ugly

They could go in this region:

image.png.e9c1e14749646f75197f583d7938d28f.png

They don't have to be above the level at which liquid flows, since crude pushes upwards at way under 1000kg. Any reason you left out a NG trap above this section (using a natural filter lock) to suck out any stray NG?  Oh wait, this was for science (can it be done), not usefulness. :lol:

37 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

They could go in this region:

image.png.e9c1e14749646f75197f583d7938d28f.png

They don't have to be above the level at which liquid flows, since crude pushes upwards at way under 1000kg. Any reason you left out a NG trap above this section (using a natural filter lock) to suck out any stray NG?  Oh wait, this was for science (can it be done), not usefulness. :lol:

You are quite right, they could have gone there, when i think about it... No reason to seal them from above... maybe heat transfer, could be good or bad.

There should be no stray NG, plenty of cooling for the startup. NG usually gone loose on initialization or too little cooling, not intermediate.

Btw. Stable bead at 120kg:

StableBead120kg.thumb.png.1958d8f3fe084af2f658a21fe0dca9be.png

Thought about it, to power all the pumps for the 160kg NG one would need TWO conductive heavy watts circuits. 

I do not think, flaking plays a major role for the OSHA bead boiler, as glas was not helping, but limiting the max flow for the given chimney length to 180kg/s. Conductivity seems to be more important, as changing to thermium metal tiles allowed reaching the 240kg/s.

StableBead240kg.thumb.png.1db2c6a5571af812089a1d846e6f6fc8.png

I made an alternative NG trap, and although it is not 100% reliable, i think it is a basic necessity cause of the sheer mass of NG. Gas Pumps could not cope. Also pure liquid motion seems to not be able to keep up with the NG mass, so i used a mini esher to remove the methane from the condenser. Edit: Had to modify the cooling chamber for more thermal mass and heat exchange. (metal statues and bridges between super coolant basin and cooling chamber)

1864847104_NGTrapMiniEsher.thumb.png.407814528d64b97d8cbc552854531161.png

Final build of the PoC, running at 240kg/s crude before long time test. Edit: Current build with modified cooling chamber.

240kgReactor.thumb.png.1f114665fbc9d310bfe0d3726957ef22.png

Different implementation with the "Temperature Swamp"-device. And a different boiler plate (liquid aluminium) for better conductivity.

240kgReactor2.thumb.png.ba8e4d85a99c9b5a26ca37bb0f37e58a.png

Wow, high flow/high pressure gas operations are messy. I doubt, this thing will ever reach a stable equilibrium. Everything is highly volatile and heavily fluctuating. Horizontally gases are swapping mass and temperature seemingly random, vertically it looks more predictable. :shock:

10 hours ago, TheOneFinn said:

Exploring some new (to me) concepts. I'm calling it brute force and ignorance

Welcome to the forums. I'm glad you are having some fun. Now we just need to build this in 1/4th the space, and make it so simple that a brand new player could copy it...  That might be too optimistic, but let's aim for it. 

13 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

Welcome to the forums. I'm glad you are having some fun. Now we just need to build this in 1/4th the space, and make it so simple that a brand new player could copy it...  That might be too optimistic, but let's aim for it. 

First goal is to do it without space materials, I;m pretty sure a single hydrogen thermal regulator should be more than enough to keep your doomsday chiller stable, so its more what is the minimum I can get away with to tap the right side off of a volcano.

Hardest part I think is going to be making the methane block in survivial as its under AETN temp, once you have that you are laughing.

12 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

Man.  Why don't we have some use for sulfur yet?  Wouldn't it be crazy if sulfur had a nice use and the natural gas became the byproduct of this operation?

Several nice designs.  Thanks.

It is ready for cooling through shipping rails. I use it directly in the boiler, it reduces the temperature of the output natural gas by around 30 degrees, though it doesn' really matter since it goes directly inside natgas generators, which don't care about input temp. You could still cool something else nearby, but I agree, some other use would be nice.
Also, it's yellow gas, pretty exotic colouring. My first attempt to turn my boiler on was a GIGANTIC fail, everything melted and I ended up with a room full of sour gas, natgas and gas sulphur. It looked really nice (and gay)(and deadly).

Archived