Guys I still hate the Tackle Receptacle, I'm sorry.

More problems. Please can this be changed, it's so awful on so many levels. After coming back to the game, I've realised even more issues with it and I hate it even more.

- (THE BIGGEST PROBLEM) You can't learn Lure recipes: If you loose your lure, you need to GO ALL THE WAY BACK TO YOUR BASE (or wherever you placed the Tackle Receptacle) and craft it again from the crafting station. This is a nightmare! Especially if you're aiming for your boat to be self-sufficient and are depending on fishing for your main source of food. This has to be changed. Fishing is finicky as it is and loosing lures happens all the time. Making players walk all the way back to their base is just so impractical and annoying.  

- Getting the Tackle Receptacle Set Up is a Horrible Experience: Getting Fish Steak is such a nightmare. Most fish in the costal ocean provide fish morsels or popcorn. Your only hope is the Mudfish, which is uncommon in that area. So you just have to hang out by the shore and just pray that Mudfish spawn. Alternatively, you can set up your boat first, but you don't wanna travel too far without lures because you won't be able to fish properly. 

Then you have to wait for it to rot...Again, you just have to wait. You can put it on the floor to rot faster, but you risk new players picking up the Fish Meat and eating it. 

- Space (I've said this before in my post): There's literally no reason for this to be an extra crafting station. Name me one reason why Lures can't be recipes from the Think Tank. 

I want boats to be self-sufficient and it seems to me that all these choices are trying to stop that from happening and make me dependent on land bases. 

I love the boats in DST and I love the idea of fishing, but if Klei wants players to seriously invest in it, they really need to make the Tackle Receptacle more efficient. Most players I find on servers, don't even know how to use Lures because it's an absolute nightmare to even get to that point. I think not many people complain about this, because most people aren't fishing or boating at all. And why should they? When getting the proper fishing equipment is a nightmare to set up, there's no reason for players to waste their time with this.  

All these hindrances are just annoying and time consuming. It's not about difficulty. There's nothing fun or engaging about waiting days for Fish Meat to rot, or waiting for a Mudfish to spawn, or having to abandon your boat and walk all the way back to base to get a new lure because, for some reason, you can't just craft them on the spot like literally every other item in the game. I could have made a self-sufficient land base in half of that time .

From what I can take, deep sea fishing is suppose to be a side-activity, and one for mid-to-late game (when usually you have a lot of time for collateral not-essential-to-survival stuff as deep sea fishing primarily seems to be). Like a hobby, a vanity project and the like. Is your choosing if you want to survive on Ocean fish alone and rush such activity early on - in which case maybe learn how to fish better without having them watery rascals escape and break your fishing gear?! (on a personal note I saw the rate of success is higher when you fish right beside boat) And even then is not such a bothersome process you make it to be. Maybe plan better the space allocated on your boat for essential buildings and/or have more specialized boats. You don't need to use 1-boat-for-everything. Game runs can be long and you should enjoy said runs, taking time and planning well. Get a lot of materials for a lot of boats if you so desire. Experiment freely. Likewise you can rush things, but again, priorities and planning are the base of it - like always. To me Tackle Receptacle feels fine for its supposed intent in usage.

In spoiler below are some of my rather amateurish boat models, as boating represents for me merely a very side-dish most of times, yet am sufficiently satisfied with their results.

Spoiler

boat-model_1

boat-base-model

boat-model_2

boat-model_3

I always go sailing in early game with one stack of seeds and rots, few stacks of logs

with one fishing rod I can survive easily on the sea whole winter

with ocuvigil, I update everyone's map

with crockpot and icebox the monster meats from salt area and seaweed I got bunch of food

I rarely see fish morsel or popcorn fish once I leave shallow water area

the rest issue is just how long it takes to bite my lure

seed and bent spork work pretty good before you have tackle receptacle

I found the main issue on the ocean isn't getting tackle receptacle

it just lacks of content, weight of fish is kind of pointless currently

I kind of enjoy the fishing simulator

although in the end I get nothing but a weight number, until then I get bored, and leave the game

hopefully next update "she sells sea shell" would make this boring fishing simulator a little more interesting

a few points that is annoying on the ocean should be fixed

1. summer wild fire on the boat, you can't do **** without flingo pre-built in your boat

we need a water sprinkle(like the one in hamlet) that probably costs one gear and can be crafted from think tank

2. sometimes you need fuel the light up before dusk

once the fish bite, you sadly can't pause but stop

if the skittersquid appears, you can only give up the fish, lures, fish tackle or your life

we should be able to fix fishing rod stand still and pause reeling with extra assist tool

so we can deal with skittersquid, the night, the wild fire or the hounds

While the feedback is helpful, I'd suggest putting it in a less condescending and more factual format. Sure, we get that there are problems with the Tackle Receptacle, but we'd be better off knowing said problems instead of your sheer hatred for it as well when you raise new issues regarding it.

imo the most annoying part of Tackle Receptacle is getting 4 driftwoods for it

its literally impossible to build this station before sailing out  (unless you are woodie)

you need to either sail around and pick random driftwood on the water

or transfrom into goose fly to lunar island and chop driftwood there to build this thing.

I totally agree with Squirrel's opinion, cuz it's takes kinda much time to found a spoiled fish steak (don't remember an actual name, sry) and to craft a tackle receptacle then, which u will use one or two times at best.

Which tackles and lures do you use and do you go sailing with having like only one or two in your inventory? I'm a bit confused, even if you could craft them without being near the crafting station you'd still need to go back to land to collect ingredients for them, right? And it's convenient to get a larger amount of ingredients when you're at it? Imo it's nicer to have farms that produce everything you need than having to search for the stuff and hope you can find a good amount of it. So you could just build your farms near the tackle receptacle and craft a bunch of good lures and tackles and then head off without any problems? You could also build all this on a boat like somebody said. I get people have different playstyles and want to do things differently, but I too think fishing is intended to be more like a side quest or a hobby than an actual main surviving strategy. It's cool that people do that too, but imo it's unnecessary to complain it's hard to survive solely by fishing and never going to land. DST is a sandbox game and you get to do what you want, but ocean fishing isn't what you're "supposed" to do to survive. It's like deciding to live in caves and having a balanced diet that consists only of different mushroom. It's possible but definitely not the easiest or most efficient way to survive and I see no reason why it should be. What's the point of having different strategies if all of them are equally easy?

13 hours ago, Squirrel12 said:

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM) You can't learn Lure recipes: If you loose your lure, you need to GO ALL THE WAY BACK TO YOUR BASE (or wherever you placed the Tackle Receptacle) and craft it again from the crafting station. This is a nightmare! Especially if you're aiming for your boat to be self-sufficient and are depending on fishing for your main source of food. This has to be changed. Fishing is finicky as it is and loosing lures happens all the time. Making players walk all the way back to their base is just so impractical and annoying.  

Make it in your boat.

- Getting the Tackle Receptacle Set Up is a Horrible Experience: Getting Fish Steak is such a nightmare. Most fish in the costal ocean provide fish morsels or popcorn. Your only hope is the Mudfish, which is uncommon in that area. So you just have to hang out by the shore and just pray that Mudfish spawn. Alternatively, you can set up your boat first, but you don't wanna travel too far without lures because you won't be able to fish properly. 

Don't use lures, or use rot, doesn't really matter. You'll still be able to get a big fish. Just get your boat far from the shore. Throw your line, and don't move it if you're not using the craftable lures, because fish know that rot/berries/etc shouldn't move while the craftable worm looking lure should, but doesn't necessarily need.

I want boats to be self-sufficient and it seems to me that all these choices are trying to stop that from happening and make me dependent on land bases

See attachment, you can make it early game if playing alone, just wait to get ice at around day 10+. Mid game if playing on a public server, but you'll always be able to go sea fishing early game, you don't need half of what is in the screenshot.

2 hours ago, Mrklli said:

Which tackles and lures do you use and do you go sailing with having like only one or two in your inventory?

Craft 5 of each that don't use the beefalo wool. Use them at their respective time. Be extra careful when fishing during evening, the moment it goes dark you'll lose the lure. You don't need farms for them shrooms, get them while exploring the map.

Untitled.png

On 06/04/2020 at 2:17 AM, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

From what I can take, deep sea fishing is suppose to be a side-activity, and one for mid-to-late game (when usually you have a lot of time for collateral not-essential-to-survival stuff as deep sea fishing primarily seems to be). Like a hobby, a vanity project and the like. Is your choosing if you want to survive on Ocean fish alone and rush such activity early on 

It seems to me that these choices are trying to make it that way, you're right. I would hope that they don't go that route, because personally, the only reason I'm playing the game anymore is because of the boating and the fishing. I enjoy the 'Animal Crossing' chilled fishing simulator experience. 

Fro in which case maybe learn how to fish better without having them watery rascals escape and break your fishing gear?! (on a personal note I saw the rate of success is higher when you fish right beside boat) 

There will always be elements that you can't control that might interrupt fishing. 

Maybe plan better the space allocated on your boat for essential buildings and/or have more specialized boats. You don't need to use 1-boat-for-everything.

I've addressed this problem before. It's such a HUGE structure and only serves one purpose. It isn't worth me putting on my boat. There's no reason for it to be that big or even be an additional structure in the first place. As for the 'use more than one boat thing', again, that's just more work and I prefer to live through the year in one boat just, just a personal preference. 

Final note, that boat you showed me looks way too chaotic for me and overloaded. My perfect boat looks like this:

image.thumb.png.f0925380ae56c4e86771377a409e9676.png

On 06/04/2020 at 3:18 AM, Mike23Ua said:

I’m going to Wait until return of them is almost 100% complete before I judge anything in its current state.

You can’t judge boats/sea content when its hardly been established yet.

I would disagree. NOW is the time to bring up issues. They are more likely to fix problems now rather than in the future when they've moved on to other things.

Look at Critters or Disease for example.

23 hours ago, gghhrr said:

1. summer wild fire on the boat, you can't do **** without flingo pre-built in your boat

we need a water sprinkle(like the one in hamlet) that probably costs one gear and can be crafted from think tank

Yeah, this is especially annoying if you're in the middle of fishing.

19 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

While the feedback is helpful, I'd suggest putting it in a less condescending and more factual format. Sure, we get that there are problems with the Tackle Receptacle, but we'd be better off knowing said problems instead of your sheer hatred for it as well when you raise new issues regarding it.

Apologies, it's just extremely frustrating. 

18 hours ago, Zauberkunst said:

imo the most annoying part of Tackle Receptacle is getting 4 driftwoods for it

its literally impossible to build this station before sailing out  (unless you are woodie)

you need to either sail around and pick random driftwood on the water

or transfrom into goose fly to lunar island and chop driftwood there to build this thing.

Very valid point.

15 hours ago, Mrklli said:

I'm a bit confused, even if you could craft them without being near the crafting station you'd still need to go back to land to collect ingredients for them, right? And it's convenient to get a larger amount of ingredients when you're at it? 

Yes, but if your base is in on the other side of the map, it's a problem. Instead, you could just hop to land briefly, pick some mushrooms and flint, and jump right back onto your boat.

On 4/7/2020 at 5:34 AM, Squirrel12 said:

I've addressed this problem before. It's such a HUGE structure and only serves one purpose. It isn't worth me putting on my boat. There's no reason for it to be that big or even be an additional structure in the first place. As for the 'use more than one boat thing', again, that's just more work and I prefer to live through the year in one boat just, just a personal preference. 

Final note, that boat you showed me looks way too chaotic for me and overloaded. My perfect boat looks like this:

image.thumb.png.f0925380ae56c4e86771377a409e9676.png

True, the space Tackle Receptacle takes is rather big, likewise some other structures like Crock Pots etc. Would be quite nice if KLei decided to revisit these structures and tweak a bit the allocated spaces they require when placed.

My solution is indeed... cramped, but functional. May not be aesthetic too much or synchronous with realistic placements - still for my intended purpose (biggest number of useful structures per boat), is ok.

Archived