Maxwell Idea: "Unlocks the full potential of Magic"

I felt like brainstorming possible Maxwell ideas (in lieu of @Axelocke's thread) and I came up with this idea:
What If items in the Magic Tab gained additional effects when used by Maxwell?
He is, in fact, a magician, so it isn't too far off the mark, yeh?

Here are all of my ideas for magic items, ie what effects Maxwell could unlock when using them.

Spoiler

General Changes to all items listed:
-Effects that lower sanity don't apply to Maxwell.
-Maxwell uses 50% less durability when using an item from the Magic Tab, including instant durability loss and durability loss over time.

Meat Effigy:
-Attuned players will resurrect with full health, hunger, and sanity, in addition to gaining 15% movement speed for 4 minutes. The effigy will resemble Maxwell instead of Wilson, to display the fact that it's an upgraded version.

The full stats are an easy choice for an upgraded meat effigy, and don't need further explaining. The movement speed buff, however, helps the resurrectee to get back to their items more quickly. Plus, experienced players could possibly use maxwell effigies for bosses and such, utilizing the movement speed if one does. Note that other characters can attune to these effigies.

Pan Flute:
-Mobs put asleep will not wake up if they are initially hit, instead waking up when they take a certain amount (Generally 250, 500 for bosses.) Mobs will still wake up normally if enough time passes.

The Pan flute is one of the few magic items that is widely and commonly used. Giving Maxwell a powerful effect to it may change the meta surrounding it, and make Maxwell the preferrable holder ot it.

One Man Band:
-Hostile mobs such as Spiders and Hounds will follow you, but are NOT befriended and will remain neutral until you unequip the One Man Band or it breaks.

The One Man Band could become a "panic button" to Maxwell. If he was unprepared for a Hound Wave, he could throw it on and lead the hounds elsewhere. However, the Hounds would aggro the moment Maxwell unequips it, so realistically it only delays the wave, not deals with it.

Night Light:
-Automatically light up when Maxwell is nearby. The more insane he is, the brighter it burns.

Right now the Night Light is a honest contender for the worst item in the game. Giving it such a powerful effect (infinite light) while still locking it behind it's expensive crafting recipe would change the base-building meta as a whole and make it more commonplace, assuming that people bother to play Maxwell.

Dark Sword and Night Armor:
-No extra effects, save for the ones in "General Changes".

The Dark Sword is the most used magic item in the game, by far. It's one downside is the low durability. Maxwell simply throws that out the window with his inherent 50% durability use. This applying to the Night Armor as well turns it from a paperweight into a powerful armor option, giving it more durability than the marble suit. This may sound doodoo OP, but remember Maxwell's low HP of 75. These two items no longer having a sanity drain will change how Maxwell gets to low sanity, instead having to rely on green caps and glommer goop.

Bat Bat:
-On hit, gain 4% movement speed for 5 seconds. Stacks up to 20%.

Following the "Life Steal" idea, Maxwell could gain speed when attacking an enemy, allowing him to kite more effectively. The Bat Bat would also have 150 durability, giving it (and Maxwell) more survivability. Remember that it's a pain in the rear end to craft in the early and mid game.

Belt of Hunger:
-Increased hunger loss reduced from 40% to 50%.

The Belt of Hunger is alright, and doesn't really *need* anything special, so a simple stat change is all that's really necessary.

Life Giving Amulet:
-Maxwell is healed more often when wearing it, recovering 5 health (and draining 5 hunger) once every 15 seconds instead of 30.

The secondary use of the Amulet (healing when worn) is almost never used, ever. Making the healing work more often would motivate Maxwell to use it for that purpose, especially considering his max HP. Resurrecting with the Amulet does not give any additional effects or benefits, because it is already a powerful utility in that regard.

Chilled Amulet:
-Along with the inherent 50%, the Chilled Amulet loses durability 250% slower, totalling to 300% slower, or 18 minutes.
-Mobs that hit Maxwell start to freeze, and eventually do if hit more than once, similar to an ice staff. This drains 2% durability per hit, regardless of damage.

Apparently the Chilled Amulet already had this second effect according to the wiki. Who knew? Anyways, giving the Chilled amulet 3x more durability will make it more commonly used for said second effect.

Nightmare Amulet:
-Shadow Creatures summoned from the Nightmare amulet drop 2-4 nightmare fuel instead of the usual 1-2.

With Maxwell's main source of insanity gone (Dark Sword / Night Armor no longer having sanity drain to him), the Nightmare Amulet is now more potent than ever. Because of Maxwell's proposed durability perk, the amulet would last a little more than 6 minutes, meaning that Maxwell could spend nearly a whole day farming nightmare fuel, and get much, much, MUCH more than any other character. This will also make up for the fact that he can't used the aforementioned Dark Sword + Night Armor combos to constantly be insane.

Fire Staff:
-Now deals direct damage when attacking a mob, dealing 45 damage.
-Can be refueled with Nightmare fuel by Maxwell for 50% durability (20 out of 40 uses)

Giving the Fire Staff direct damage would change it from being garbo to being a contender for Maxwell's primary weapon of choice. It will still have a REALLY low durability of 40 (in relation to other weapons), so making it refuelable by Maxwell allows the Fire Staff to be a staple of his loadout. Plus, a viable ranged weapon is neat.

Ice Staff:
-Now does AoE; When a mob is hit with the Ice Staff's projectile, surrounding mobs will also start to freeze / be frozen.

With an AoE, the Ice staff goes from just a "wildfire prevention" item to a crowd control weapon. If Maxwell is being swarmed by hounds, spiders, or anything else that attacks in groups, Maxwell could escape an otherwise unsurvivable situation. Note that this will also help wonders against splumonkeys underground, as they are otherwise unstoppable when in a large group.

Telelocator Staff:
-The animation for casting is 50% faster.

The Telelocator staff doesn't really need anything, so simply making the animation faster could help in a few niche situations, such as teleporting yourself out of a situation (but does anyone actually do that?)

Telelocator Focus:
-When used, only one socket will lose a gem instead of all three.

A simple change, but making each teleport only cost 1 purple gem instead of 3 allows teleportation to occur much more often. A Maxwell could possibly substitute this for the Lazy Deserter. Not completely of course, but carrying a Tele staff as a "get home quick" device becomes something other than a complete waste of resources.

Ocuvigil:
-Visible radius is now twice as big when built by Maxwell.

Again, simple change. This actually isn't really necessary, but no stone left unturned, I guess.

Moon Dial:
-...?

Do you have any ideas? I sure as hell don't.

The Lazy Deserter:
-When channeled by Maxwell, he can stop channeling and leave a shadow puppet of himself in place, continuing to channel until the Deserter is activated of the puppet is killed. This counts as an active shadow puppet, meaning that the maximum amount of puppets that Maxwell can have following him is reduced by 1.

A simple concept, but it doesn't take much to imagine the uses one could utilize with this. You could take a trip across the map, and then teleport back in a second without the need of another player. Going to the PK, which is halfway across the map because you suck at choosing a base location? (/s) Only take the trip 1 way, and then teleport back at virtually no cost. Keep in mind that a puppet channeling the Deserter will allow any player to teleport to it, not just Maxwell.

Keep in mind that these are ideas, and I'm just spitballing for the fun of it.

Thots?

Yesssss, I love these!

The Lazy Deserter idea is ingenious and would really benefit long term solo players! :D

Overall, these suggestions are great. 

(what on earth could they even do with the moon dial, I can't think of anything.)

I think the moon dial becomes brighter as the moon becomes fuller each night which. Too bad you can't use it at maximum brightness on the full moon night since the night sky is already lit anyways. Maybe Maxwell could do something simple like allowing it to have a larger average brightness aura on each night. Idk it's kinda basic. The moondial is basically in the same tier as the thermo-meter and the rain-o-meter. It just tells you something you probably would either know soon or know in advance. If season lengths, weather, and the full moon cycle was less predictable, maybe then it could be useful. But as for now, it's garbo.

I just had a wild idea from reading this, and probably plenty of people will find this stupid and nonsensical, but here goes...

I think that theses additional effects of the magic tab should be from maybe Wortox, not Maxwell. When Wortox inspects Maxwell's book, he says something like "I don't think he really knows how to use it". Wortox also does magic stuff himself, with his souls and saying "I can come and go as I please" when inspecting the florid postern. I just feel like Wortox might know more than Maxwell about the Constant's magic because he lives and grows in the constant. Or at least he has a different perspective on magic.

I think Wortox's comments make Maxwell seem like kind of an amateur, and that Maxwell thinks he knows magic so well, but that he's still an insignificant plaything of Them. I think Wortox has his eyes more open on the Constant's mysteries than the other survivors do, and is therefore better at magic than them.

10 hours ago, Canis said:

Moon Dial:
-...?

How about when Maxwell uses it, he gives us some useful lore quotes

Or it could produce some sort of moon loot over time? As Maxwell stands close to it, the pool would fill up with moon glass, and drop some on the ground. This would increase as the full moon draws closer.

11 hours ago, Hornete said:

I dont think Maxwell knows how to use Lunar magic. So he shouldnt really get special things from lunar magic items

I would also argue that to better contrast the forces of shadow and moon, there should be a character that being Maxwell and the 4th dlc character.

23 hours ago, reverentsatyr said:

-snip-

I wad always undwr the impression that Maxwell knows what he is doing, just can't do it. Whatever it be that he is lacking in proper tools, resources, proper time to use, or just lacking power in general, it seems like he knows about it but just can't do it. For example, in the forge he was able to do a shadow swarm attack when he achieved enough damage with a staff, this is important because it shows that he could very well use but lack the tool too. The swarm only happens when attacking with the staff so is shows a obvious relationship between the 2. There could also the reason that of all the magic he can do, most of it isn't useful. Like on the Hallowed Nights loading screen, it shows maxwell just summoning a shadow hand for the others at the campfire. Based on how it never appears again, we can assume that it was a neat party trick but wasn't actually useful. There is a high chance that even with ancient magic like this, there is bound to be a few duds every once in a while. Maxwell also just not be able to use more powerful spells because he is too weak. Maxwells downside is being frail because the years and years of being on the throne seemed to have ebbed him away. He most likely couldn't do most of the skills he regularly used while king because it literly overexert him to where he could pass out or maybe even die. That why he uses puppets, breaking your mind off into fragments and using n. fuel as a catlyst to use them is much easier then summoning night hands and having them teleport them somewhere completely different while also immobilizing and incapciating them. Finally, I don't think Wortox is the best judge for this sort of thing. Wortox hasn't seen what Maxwell was capable of when at his height of power and only sees him for the simple magician he is. There is also the fact that he also doesn't flaunt his power as much as the other characters (summoning puppets of yourself is really overshadowed by the gigantic angrey teddy bear and a human turning into a giant beaver) and thus can give off a air of inexperience because he just has not shown his powers to his full capacity compared to space bending imp.

I'd love to see these implemented, but I also think he should be weaker with items that aren't magic. This would kind of have the Warly effect to make a character have to live off of lesser used recipes (or in this case, magic items). The only thing I would change is the night light. I would instead make it so that if Maxwell fuels a night light, it would also light any night light within a certain area around the one that was fueled (which reminds me of the lights at the end of adventure mode)

14 minutes ago, Dr. Safety said:

I'd love to see these implemented, but I also think he should be weaker with items that aren't magic. This would kind of have the Warly effect to make a character have to live off of lesser used recipes (or in this case, magic items). The only thing I would change is the night light. I would instead make it so that if Maxwell fuels a night light, it would also light any night light within a certain area around the one that was fueled (which reminds me of the lights at the end of adventure mode)

that was another idea of mine, but honestly that should be a feature for all characters since the current light light is uh oh stinky.

Moon Dial:
-...?

Simple: moon dial provides lunacy aura. 

On 22.01.2020 at 7:50 AM, reverentsatyr said:

I think that theses additional effects of the magic tab should be from maybe Wortox, not Maxwell. When Wortox inspects Maxwell's book, he says something like "I don't think he really knows how to use it". Wortox also does magic stuff himself, with his souls and saying "I can come and go as I please" when inspecting the florid postern. I just feel like Wortox might know more than Maxwell about the Constant's magic because he lives and grows in the constant. Or at least he has a different perspective on magic.

I think Wortox's comments make Maxwell seem like kind of an amateur, and that Maxwell thinks he knows magic so well, but that he's still an insignificant plaything of Them. I think Wortox has his eyes more open on the Constant's mysteries than the other survivors do, and is therefore better at magic than them.

Wortox is an imp, who got his powers from his origins + one random warm heart act.

While Maxwell was nobody and actually studied magic(!) from zero. 

If anything Wortox just acts as a <censored>, telling a man, who discovered constant and ruled over it for decades or centures. Telling Maxwell that he doesnt understand, what he is doing.

Archived