Question regarding boat bases

To manage against having limited space and wildfires at the same time, use these simple tactics
- Place anchors LAST

- To cover a greater area, put a flingo at the corner of the base, or someone that it reaches the midddle, right at the middle, put a meaty bulb.
Meaty bulbs have the highest burning priority, so if the game decides something will burn, it will be it. so you can cover a base that would need more than 1 flingos with just one.

Not worried about fires, and the only problem with placing the anchors last is at 6x6 I was looking at 800+ logs for the whole foundation. Needless to say the construction was done in stages, and the anchors had to go down when the boats went down.

Though the more I think about it, anchor placement doesnt really effect available space since structures cant straddle separate boats.

Of course as I type that I realize anchor placement and boat placement do effect available space since I found with as close together as I placed the boats, when I placed the anchor on one row of boats as far to the edge as possible, they actually interfered with the anchor placement on the next row of boats. That could be negated by placing all anchors on the same side, though the anchors would still interfere with other structures, or I could place the boats a bit farther apart so the structure space of one boat didnt bleed over to the boat next to it.

I also learned (too late) that it would be best to have a shoal on the non plank side of a boat, as cast/reel on PS4 is tied to the circle button, and circle also operates the plank.

The plank currently sucks honestly, not sure what its for, I'm sure Klei has something in mind for it down the road but right now it just gets in the way (on PS4 at least).

12 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

topis body: *not a single question or a question mark*

On 1/6/2020 at 7:08 PM, Dunk Mujunk said:

I'm wondering if I would be able to safely remove the anchors from all boats other than the ones on the perimeter without said boats disappearing while I was away. 

So I guess you want me to put a question mark at the end of that sentence? Of course, a question mark doesn't belong there. 

And yet it is still a question.

Thanks for your insight on the topic though.

7 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

So I guess you want me to put a question mark at the end of that sentence? Of course, a question mark doesn't belong there. 

And yet it is still a question.

Thanks for your insight on the topic though.

"I'm wondering" is more like a statement that question but ok :D:D:D:D 

On 8/1/2020 at 3:45 PM, Kelloggs Dogfry said:

Slightly off topic, but how do Gnarwails spawn anyways? Do you need to be on water for extended periods of time or?

Im not sure about the specific mechanic that spawns them, but I've usually found them randomly moving around the ocean. If I stay always around the same spot and that area doesnt have one, they dont seem to show up (at least in my experience). 

I just wanted to quote the top half of this about hounds not spawning when far enough out at sea..

I am pretty sure they are Aware of this and have plans to change that. Shipwrecked has its own unique threats at Sea, I hope they eventually bring some of that to DST.

I Mainly just want the Shadow version of Lochness though.. lol.

Which wouldn't change much. Simply fight the hounds.

Aside from that, the recent game update thread mentioned a bug involving anchored boats being destroyed was fixed. Which i'm taking to mean that the answer to my original question, will unanchored boats surrounded by anchored boats be safe, is no.

So heading into another summer this is where im at-

PS_Messages_20200109_231054.jpg

PS_Messages_20200109_231059.jpg

PS_Messages_20200109_231102.jpg

A small 3x3 base far from land by a Deep Bass shoal. I spaced the boats out enough to where the structures of one boat cannot interfere with the structures of another boat. Ive also confirmed for myself that I am able to trap birds at sea. We are headed back to the caves in a few days for the summer, i'll see how all this fairs with us gone for so long.

I've also found quite a few of my old exploration boats at this point. I never put anchors on them, and ive found enough to wonder again whether I can keep unanchored boats in place with a perimeter of anchored boats. I'm gonna remove the anchors from a couple boats in the middle of the old foundation, raise the anchors of a couple boats in the middle of the old foundation, and as a control I will remove the anchors and raise the anchors on a couple boats on the perimeter of the old foundation and return after summer to see what happens.

Aside from all that, at some point I plan on searching for a spot at sea that meets the following criteria-

2 Shoals within extremely close proximity, close enough to place a 6x6 foundation that butts up against both shoals.

Salt formations a short boat trip from the shoals, for monster meat to supplement the fish meat.

Far enough away from land to avoid hound waves as they are now.

Close enough to sea stacks to have a section of base dedicated to stone production.

No Malbatross shoals.

I'd like Narwhals as close as possible, however ive yet to see any so thats up in the air atm.

Supplies will still need to be provided. I havent tried planting pine cones on a boat, im sure I wont be able to. But logs, grass, twigs, flint etc etc will need to be shipped out.

I am also curios as to how Deerclops spawns will operate when players are this far out to sea.

2 hours ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

I am also curious as to how Deerclops spawns will operate when players are this far out to sea.

I could be wrong but I am confident that it will behave similarly to how it would if you were in the caves. You can delay his spawn or unfortunately prevent it all together should winter cycle over. Though I suppose for a boat base with only 2 people, 2 eyes would really be all you need lol. 
Looks like you have a fun setup though! Nice progress!

Gnarwails spawn in the deep waters. That's it. They can sometimes spawn right in your boat but that has happened only once, and then it despawned when i moved away far enough.
Hounds actually used to spawn when you're on a boat, but this feature got removed probably because they can easily swarm you and there's not much room to fight them, so i doubt anything similar to Crocodogs from SW will be added to DST.
And there's no specific requirement for hound waves to appear when you're out in the sea - even if you're 1 tile away from any land but standing on a boat upon triggering the wave event, hounds won't spawn.

6 hours ago, Charesque said:

Gnarwails spawn in the deep waters. That's it. They can sometimes spawn right in your boat but that has happened only once, and then it despawned when i moved away far enough.
Hounds actually used to spawn when you're on a boat, but this feature got removed probably because they can easily swarm you and there's not much room to fight them, so i doubt anything similar to Crocodogs from SW will be added to DST.
And there's no specific requirement for hound waves to appear when you're out in the sea - even if you're 1 tile away from any land but standing on a boat upon triggering the wave event, hounds won't spawn.

I wonder if this can work as a defense like ducking into caves.  When you hear their growl you can duck into a cave to avoid their spawn.  I wonder if I could just run jump on a raft for a bit and let them pass lol

10 hours ago, Shosuko said:

I wonder if this can work as a defense like ducking into caves.  When you hear their growl you can duck into a cave to avoid their spawn.  I wonder if I could just run jump on a raft for a bit and let them pass lol

No, it won't work. Simply put it - jumping on a boat won't save you from an event that's already in progress. Standing on a boat just won't allow hounds to spawn. 

15 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Does THIS look like something that should be Neutral?

1C05F9C7-2CA8-4E39-8BA7-835EE48FFD65.jpeg

That's not really fair, though. The vignette is depicting an angry gnarwail attacking Wilson's boat. This is kind of like posting an image of a dog looking angry and saying "does THIS look like something that should love humans?". A picture of an animal that's been provoked is likely not how that animal acts normally.

41 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

That's not really fair, though. The vignette is depicting an angry gnarwail attacking Wilson's boat. This is kind of like posting an image of a dog looking angry and saying "does THIS look like something that should love humans?". A picture of an animal that's been provoked is likely not how that animal acts normally.

But what is it Angry about?? Wilson is holding his hands up weaponless clearly in shock and surprise of it bursting up out of the Water, so clearly Wilson did not provoke it.

10 minutes ago, NormalPinkerton said:

Maybe he fished in it's area? They get ticked off when that happens.

No.. a more hilarious explanation is that WX78 came through before Wilson on his own boat and ticked it off and then sailed away before poor Wilson tagging behind him could catch up thus Setting Wilson up for the Angry Gnarwails attack.

Hahaha multiplayer shenanigans 101.

But it could also be entirely possible that Gnarwails are actually intended to be hostile mobs (as depicted in this image), and that Klei simply has them set as a Neutral Mob until a later Update branch.

24 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

But it could also be entirely possible that Gnarwails are actually intended to be hostile mobs (as depicted in this image), and that Klei simply has them set as a Neutral Mob until a later Update branch.

You can befriend them just like pigs,so i really doubt that tbh.

Archived