Question regarding boat bases

So I lashed a 6x6 square of boats together out in the ocean with an anchor on each boat. I haven't placed any structures out there yet (finished what I currently have on the last day of Spring and we are in the caves now) other than some lighting rods.

I'm a bit worried because the lightning rods needed quite a bit of space to put down, and i'm starting to wonder how much room a 6x6 layout will actually provide (my initial plan was 4x4, but after placement it definitely looked too small) with anchors on every boat.

I'm wondering if I would be able to safely remove the anchors from all boats other than the ones on the perimeter without said boats disappearing while I was away. 

My world should be in permanent Summer with the levels of deforestation that have occurred, i've been working on roads at the same time. It took 800+ logs for 36 boats and anchors, I don't want to take any chances.

On PS4 if that matters (i'd imagine it doesn't).

And for anyone wondering, here is my layout-

o = boat

- = side anchor is on

o--oo--oo--o

For the sake of space i'm illustrating only a single row, but all rows have the same setup.

The moment I saw Boat Base red flags went up that it was a BAD IDEA.

For One- Summer Season sets them on fire that’s not fun but it’s Manageable.. if you know how.

but #2- And this one is probably most important- We have absolutely NO IDEA how much more content Klei plans to add to the Ocean.. It sure looks peaceful Now, but what happens when they give the sea rushing waves, hostile mobs, and its own weather seasons?

I say this because I used to play a game called Ark Survival Evolved- and when I first started out I built a huge boat base out at Sea connecting a few boats together like a puzzle to build a mansion At Sea, no other players could ever Kite dinosaurs into my base because uhh well I lived ON THE SEA... the Developers... However- Witnessed my Awesome Sea Base and thought “Aww Nahh we can’t have that.” And So- They eventually released a Massive Moby **** Whale Sized Dinosaur into the Waters, his ONLY Purpose is to Spawn in, Target and destroy Boats. Bye Bye beautiful Boat Base..

The TL:DR- Don’t Build a Boat Base, The Sea in DST is very much an Unfinished Product and you may suffer the same faith that I did with Ark. :( 

We spend our summers in the caves, not worried about fires. If we have the spare gears maybe one day i'll place some flings out there, but at the same time i'm not sure I want to commit to a trip out there at the beginning and end of each summer to turn flings on and off. The boats are well into the ocean, we won't ever be close enough to trigger a fire if we are up top during the summer.

i don't really see waves being an added issue later down the road. RoT boats are obviously nowhere near as maneuverable as their SW counterparts, and dodging a wave would be extremely difficult, if not impossible. I don't see this being implemented, though I could be wrong.

Not really worried about mobs being added later either, as this is mainly an experiment, and it can always be moved, just as you base away from mobs on land.

And of course, this isn't an attempt at high level survival strategy, simply a fun side project for some laid back shoal fishing.

I've yet to see cool boat bases.

I'd try to add a flingo and a rod to the center one, and place the others around in circles so they get all covered by that single flingo and the lightning rod. And then keep adding more in a circular way from that point.

The idea of making a whole new artificial island base sounds really cool, if you manage to get to a cool spot building it, post some pictures please :)

Summer is currently coming to an end. I'm not sure how much longer we are gonna play tonight, but ill try and get a pic of the foundation up.

I'm gonna be hesitant to put a fling up for a while. I'm not currently comfortable with boat mechanics when the player is away. I've found a couple of my temporary boats a good bit across the map from where I ditched them, so the game is tracking them when off screen. But I havent found nearly enough of them to know exactly whats going on when I'm away.

I've yet to see one, we've done a fair amount of fishing in shoals on another map, actually spawned the Malbatross 5 minutes into our first shoal ever (and ran like hell lol), but haven't seen a Narwhal yet.

Gonna go on a test fishing run at the base tomorrow night and see what happens. Once base goes up we will have boat patches on hand and if Narwhals are an issue we will try and figure out how to handle them. Worst case i'll shift the foundation over a bit and put a short boat rides worth of space between the shoal and base.

For now though no structures are going up until I feel a bit more comfortable.

We will be fishing tonight, tried to make it happen last night but I had to get to bed. We are approaching winter in our world and I plan to make a few trips out there before summer hits again. Once it does we will head to the caves, and when we come back up i'll survey the situation and hopefully start placing structures out there.

If it works it will be the first of many sea bases. I'd like to find 2 shoals close together, one on the mainland side of a line of sea stacks and one on the ocean side with a walkway winding through the sea stacks connecting the 2.

So we got out there, and literally 3 or 4 casts in this happened-

PS_Messages_20200107_195616.jpg

PS_Messages_20200107_195609.jpg

I thought I had been reading this guy was hard to find lol. We've spawned Malbatross at the first 2 shoals we ever fished now.

Anyway, we ended up going to a shoal a bit further out, turned out to be Deep Bass. We'll probably just make this base a jumping off point for the other shoal. Just heading into winter now, I'm gonna start building onto the foundation next fall.

3 hours ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

So we got out there, and literally 3 or 4 casts in this happened-

I thought I had been reading this guy was hard to find lol. We've spawned Malbatross at the first 2 shoals we ever fished now.

Anyway, we ended up going to a shoal a bit further out, turned out to be Deep Bass. We'll probably just make this base a jumping off point for the other shoal. Just heading into winter now, I'm gonna start building onto the foundation next fall.

Oh, that's what I was thinking of! It's the Malbatross who gets mad about fishing, not the Gnarwail.

I'm super paranoid about boats.  They are a heavy investment and prone to casualties in different ways.

I'm curious though - why do you want to build a boat base?  Is there some advantage?  Or is it just for fun?

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

I'm super paranoid about boats.  They are a heavy investment and prone to casualties in different ways.

I'm curious though - why do you want to build a boat base?  Is there some advantage?  Or is it just for fun?

Depends on your general play-style. If one wants a pretty relaxed setup with minimal danger (if knowing ocean and how to sail ofc), one might go for a boat-base: no periodic hounds attacks, no giants, no stress - aside Malbatross (easily avoidable) or Gnarwail (just don't attack it, is naturally neutral). Also on hectic public servers where newbies, noobs, and griefers run rampant, some boat-base can be a proverbial God-sent. More to say about this topic, but basically these are the strong points. Bonus activity: "fishu fishu" :encouragement:

8 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Just for fun. I was wanting to be able to fish a shoal from "base", it will also act as a bit of a jumping off point for the Lunar Isles, putting the comforts of home a bit closer to the Isles just in case. Right now I'm mainly experimenting though. I'm honestly less concerned about mobs and more concerned about what the boats will do when I'm away for extended periods.

4 hours ago, Booklover said:

Hounds can swim. Other than that, yeah boat bases are cool and safe.

From what ive seen hounds won't come for you if you are far out enough. On multiple occasions we have had hound waves when ive been on the water, and not a single hound has come to me. I suppose I'll find out for sure though.

2 hours ago, Ezaroth said:

The whole base can be set on fire, and a slight push can cause a domino effect and wreck the whole base.

Put anchors on each boat as I put them down, and we wont be hanging out there during summer.

7 hours ago, Booklover said:

Hounds can swim. Other than that, yeah boat bases are cool and safe.

If you are at all-times more than 1-screen-away from land (be it mainland or Lunar Isles) you won't spawn any hound wave ever. Am sure one of the "data miners" around here can give you the precise specifics in terms of turf-tiles or-the-like, as mine are purely empirical observations from regular game-play. But be assured yet again: if you stay away from land at least 1-screen-distance when the timer for dog attacks clicks, none will spawn on you. On the other hand if you are close/on land when that occurs, yes, they will pop and swim after you if you try to escape via sea.

5 hours ago, Ezaroth said:

The whole base can be set on fire, and a slight push can cause a domino effect and wreck the whole base.

I wouldn't call it safe unless you flingo and anchor the whole boats.

Ofc, I thought that was understood/implicit: regarding sea-bases, if player plans to spend summer on, flingos are a must (like with any other non-Oasis/non-Caves base) - even if it's only a single boat and one doesn't possess Luxury Fan, Ice Staff or.. visual acuity for manual extinguishment :encouragement:

I was kinda wondering that myself. Ive still yet to see one. Ive spent a decent amount of time on the water, but its mostly been a from point A directly to point B affair. Ive done a bit of fishing, but no more than a day and a halfs worth straight at any shoal. Ive also done a good bit of salt mining, but it's been in bursts. 1 time getting a feel for it, and 2 times where ive gone out and got enough salt for 4 or so salt boxes.

On the other hand it seems im the Malbatross whisperer as hes been at 2 of the 3 shoals ive fished at.

9 hours ago, Ezaroth said:

I wouldn't call it safe unless you flingo and anchor the whole boats.

You could use the flingo lureplant trick to cover a large area with just one flingo.

Archived