How do you feel about Winona now?

How's Winona after all this time?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Does Winona need a re-rework?

• Yes, rework her entirely
    • Sort of, give her perks a rebalance (think Woodie's post-rework rebalance)
    • No, she's fine as she is

On 9.12.2019 at 5:10 PM, Desblat said:

I recently made a mod that adds floodlight and boat torches: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1910111177 

I feel like game badly needs lightsourses for boats. That's odd to force players play as Winona to use those craftables.

Exactly the thing I made. I really want it to be in game officially.

EB0EA070541759E63F72FC87A82E7EAF965D74A8

They look really cool. I love the boat cannons too. I would really like if these two would be added. I’m all in for new content for the boat.

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

^^^ why is this last one NOT patched into the game already..? Spider Warriors are ALREADY in the game and their Bright Green colors usually indicate Poison- Maybe they just decided to turn DST into a Base Building Party Game and remove the Uncompromising part altogether? Checkmate.

I believe it's because those poisonous variants are only found in tropical climates, whereas DST/RoG seems to take place in a more deciduous/temperate climate. 

18 minutes ago, Axelocke said:

I believe it's because those poisonous variants are only found in tropical climates, whereas DST/RoG seems to take place in a more deciduous/temperate climate. 

That makes no sense at all.. I live in south Alabama but I’ve had a sudden overtaking of African Banana Spiders in my Climate.

Fine but for whatever reason you guys don’t want any of the various spiders in the game to be poisonous (seriously just toggle them on or off if you don’t want them! Console players can’t mod our own into the game.. so unless Klei gives them to us in a patch we ain’t getting them) But If Spiders can’t provide the Damage over Time poison bleed out effect I’m sure they can make SOMETHING in the game do it.

the freaking BEES in MINECRAFT now provide a Poison over time health bleed out effect... Come on Guys, Are we playing a Multiplayer Uncompromising Wilderness Survival Game, or a Totally Compromising Co-op Base Building Party Game with friends?

but I rest my case and it’s time to put this thread back on its original Topic- Winona needs to have her Hunger Penalty for crafting Axes, Pickaxes and Spears removed or greatly reduced.. no one else in the game has to worry about nearly starving just because their axe & spear broke (that’s just annoying) BUT With her Trusty Tape being able to repair Winter Hats, Thermal Stones and Boats she is now officially the QUEEN OF WINTER in my opinion.

1 hour ago, lemon demon said:

She's basically Wilson on steroids

Personally, I would still rather have a beefalo hat warmth equivalent that takes no slots, since you don't have to stop to torch a tree or plop a campfire as much in winter. And since time is such a central idea in DS (think draining meters) I would say saving time in winter (probably the most busy season due to Klaus, Ice, mactusk, and deerclops farming) is worth more than an expensive way to kill bee queen early. But that's just my opinion and nothing more, bee queens drops are nothing to scoff at, but I just don't need them most of the time in my worlds.

We need to address the elephant in the room- Winona can use Trusty Tape to fix THERMAL STONES. ... is that not enough to make her the most overpowered character in the game for both the Winter and Summer seasons? No need to craft more Thermals to stay hot or cold, let’s just fix up the one we already have!

10 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

We need to address the elephant in the room- Winona can use Trusty Tape to fix THERMAL STONES. ... is that not enough to make her the most overpowered character in the game for both the Winter and Summer seasons? No need to craft more Thermals to stay hot or cold, let’s just fix up the one we already have!

You can sew thermal stones as any character, which is why the trusty tape can do the same.

7 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

You can sew thermal stones as any character, which is why the trusty tape can do the same.

Okay so we ask Klei to turn the sewing kit item into a stationary structure called a Sewing Machine and it would work identical to a Potters Wheel (Players would have to carry items to it and place them onto the table) 

Thanks!! You single handedly just solved how to fix Winona and make her Tape more useful. Without adding a bunch of extra structures like a Industrial Factory fan or her own mechanical Rook bot buddy.

TL:DR Sewing should become Stationary Structure, Trusty Tape should be able to be used while out on adventure.

51 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Okay so we ask Klei to turn the sewing kit item into a stationary structure called a Sewing Machine and it would work identical to a Potters Wheel (Players would have to carry items to it and place them onto the table) 

Thanks!! You single handedly just solved how to fix Winona and make her Tape more useful. Without adding a bunch of extra structures like a Industrial Factory fan or her own mechanical Rook bot buddy.

TL:DR Sewing should become Stationary Structure, Trusty Tape should be able to be used while out on adventure.

you're making a character "better" to play by nerfing another item instead of making the characters kit better and able to stand better on its own

plus god i hate making sewing kits

Don't Starve Together is certainly the "sort of sequel" to Don't Starve.  I think Klei did not want to make a DS2 because they didn't want to officially end DS, as evident since they've continued adding on to it, but the torch has been passed.  

I am with Mike in wanting more SW stuff added to DST - mostly because I don't want to go back and play SW lol.  Now that we have water, a lot of it can fit here too.  We should get Wilani, and coffee for sure!

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

Don't Starve Together is certainly the "sort of sequel" to Don't Starve.  I think Klei did not want to make a DS2 because they didn't want to officially end DS, as evident since they've continued adding on to it, but the torch has been passed.  

I am with Mike in wanting more SW stuff added to DST - mostly because I don't want to go back and play SW lol.  Now that we have water, a lot of it can fit here too.  We should get Wilani, and coffee for sure!

I think the difference here is that there is more money revenue to be made from a Multiplayer game with players purchasing skins, dlc characters and other cosmetics then there is to continue to develop on the single player game.. relying on money revenue from 15$ Single Player Expansions.

the single player version of DS does not have a roster of 15+ playable characters and growing, with tons of clothing options players can unlock/purchase to customize them with.

I would probably pay 15$ just to get some DS Shipwrecked and Hamlet themed Island Biomes added into the DST though. And and the chill Surfer gal Walani :) <3 As long as they don’t suddenly decide she’s 8 for no reason.

35 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I would probably pay 15$ just to get some DS Shipwrecked and Hamlet themed Island Biomes added into the DST though.

But Shipwrecked and Hamlet are happening on completly different regions with tropical climat, while dst is in more like cooler climat. It would make more sense to add icebergs, snow/ice biomes than tropical ones. This topic is about Winona though so why are we changing it into topic about shipwrecked stuff added to dst and dst being sequel to ds, if you guys want to discuss that, then just make topic about that.

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

why nerf everyone to buff Winona?! wtf?!

9 hours ago, Axelocke said:

Poisononous snakes live in every climate zone.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I would probably pay 15$ just to get some DS Shipwrecked and Hamlet themed Island Biomes added into the DST though. And and the chill Surfer gal Walani :) <3 As long as they don’t suddenly decide she’s 8 for no reason.

That's exactly right.  DLC like skins supports more content releases.  I'm glad to buy skin packs knowing Klei is adding real content to the game.  I do hope they can find a way to bring in SW and Hamlet, as well as Forge and Gorge into the game more.  Mabye we just choose which type on world-gen since they might not all play nice together at once.  I think Don't Starve Together has a lot of potential to expand in several directions.  Its not just a good decision for them in monetizing the game, but I certainly enjoy the game more this way (although I also hope they keep the game solo friendly, as I play solo 99% of the time)

1 hour ago, Kuba5565 said:

But Shipwrecked and Hamlet are happening on completly different regions with tropical climat, while dst is in more like cooler climat. It would make more sense to add icebergs, snow/ice biomes than tropical ones. This topic is about Winona though so why are we changing it into topic about shipwrecked stuff added to dst and dst being sequel to ds, if you guys want to discuss that, then just make topic about that.

I don't see why the climat matters much for this.  You could pull in a girl from Hawaii without pulling her into a Hawaii based fictional world.  Her surfing prowess (probably paddleboarding for DST type waters) would certainly be welcome to me.  Poison was an interesting mechanic.  Spiders, snakes, and scoprion would all fit in literally ANY world without problems adding this poison mechanic to the game.

Don't be a topic police pls.  This is where this conversation organically went.  You can comment directly to the OP even as our conversation has evolved from that point.

28 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I don't see why the climat matters much for this.  You could pull in a girl from Hawaii without pulling her into a Hawaii based fictional world.  Her surfing prowess (probably paddleboarding for DST type waters) would certainly be welcome to me.  Poison was an interesting mechanic.  Spiders, snakes, and scoprion would all fit in literally ANY world without problems adding this poison mechanic to the game.

I meant it for the biomes not the characters.

28 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Don't be a topic police pls.  This is where this conversation organically went.  You can comment directly to the OP even as our conversation has evolved from that point.

Ok, sorry.

I think what we all should actually do is get a huge poll going containing every item/gameplay mechanic from Forge, Gorge, Shipwrecked and Hamlet.

Players can vote for the Mobs, and unique features such as poison, and Biomes that they would like to see added into DST.  The parts of the poll that ends up with the most votes would give Klei an excellent idea of what players want to see taken out from those respective DLCs. I wanted mainly BOATS and an actual SEA and I got them both already..

so For me the items i still want are a fairly simplistic list-

1- Poisonous Snakes & Spider Warriors.

2- More New Island Biomes to sail my boats to and explore.

3- Walani, Woodlegs, Wilbur, Wilba, Wheeler & Wagstaff

4- A Forge Based Mini-Game where I can battle against Forge enemies in sort of a tiny gladiatorial Endless Survival Arena type thing.. Losing the mini-game does not erase my world, I just simply lose the Mini-Game and go back to my Sandbox world. Similar to how if you failed in Single Players DS Adventures Mode, it threw you back out of the Portal back to your Sandbox save.

(don’t you dare judge me on number 4.. Xbox did NOT get to really actually experience the Forge, so all those unique limited time enemy mobs are something I never even got a chance to experience.)

And for Winona- Yes let’s nerf everyone else by forcing the Sewing Kit to become a Stationary Structure you need to bring your items to and repair.. but let Winona’s Trusty Tape repair things on the fly!

I think this would be an excellent way to make Winona worth using without having to Rework her character entirely for a second time.

Also- It makes no sense to be able to repair a thermal STONE using a Sewing Kit.. maybe a welding Machine... (which would also probably repair Axes, Spears etc..) but Defiantly NOT a Sewing Kit.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

And for Winona- Yes let’s nerf everyone else by forcing the

Sewing Kit to become a Stationary Structure you need to bring your items to and repair.. but let Winona’s Trusty Tape repair things on the fly!

I think this would be an excellent way to make Winona worth using without having to Rework her character entirely for a second time.

Rework plan for DST chars to make them worth using without complete rework:

1. Remove golden axe and glass axe, so Woodie is worth using.

2. Remove torches, so Willow with her lighter is worth using.

3. Remove pigmen and bunnymen from game, so Wurt merms are worth using. Remove

4. Remove orange stave and healing items from the game, so Wortox blink and heal are worth using.

5. Remove farms from the game, so Wormwood planting skill is worth using.

6. Remove log armor, so Wormood armor is worth using.

7. Either remove Wormwoods poop wrap or remove Wortox souls. There can be only one healing item in the game.

8. Ether spiders or merms are worth using, I choose to temove spiders and Webber, because I don't like him.

And finally.

Remove Crock Pot, so Warly Portable Crock Pot is worth using.

P.S. If you are confused, just remove Wes.

8 hours ago, Desblat said:

Poisononous snakes live in every climate zone.

I see where you're coming from, but I'm not exactly sure if the constant mirrors the real world. I guess if birds can get in for no reason (according to Maxwell) I suppose I could see snakes and poisonous spiders as long as they're reskinned to fit the non tropical setting, or if we get a strange rain forest-like island. 

Poison itself might have to be tuned to be more dangerous/apply an additional status(?) cause if I'm remembering right I believe poison was sorta laughable in DS, and would be especially so with characters like Wortox.

(if poison actually comes back please give Wormwood his poison balm back, he could be a great poison healer)

5 hours ago, Desblat said:

Rework plan for DST chars to make them worth using without complete rework:

1. Remove golden axe and glass axe, so Woodie is worth using.

2. Remove torches, so Willow with her lighter is worth using.

3. Remove pigmen and bunnymen from game, so Wurt merms are worth using. Remove

4. Remove orange stave and healing items from the game, so Wortox blink and heal are worth using.

5. Remove farms from the game, so Wormwood planting skill is worth using.

6. Remove log armor, so Wormood armor is worth using.

7. Either remove Wormwoods poop wrap or remove Wortox souls. There can be only one healing item in the game.

8. Ether spiders or merms are worth using, I choose to temove spiders and Webber, because I don't like him.

And finally.

Remove Crock Pot, so Warly Portable Crock Pot is worth using.

P.S. If you are confused, just remove Wes.

Plus one for removal of Wes, everything else is too much.

Please do note that I did not say to completely REMOVE Sewing altogether but rather to CHANGE it into a Stationary Structure.. Besides, I’ve never really seen someone Knit a hat while running from an Angry Dog, If they COULD I am sure you would see lots of Postal Worker funny videos online.

I also fully support the idea that a STONE should not be repaired AT ALL by using a Sewing Kit... we need an Entirely NEW structure for that. 

Come on seriously... do any of you play Minecraft like AT ALL? There are like 15 different tables that each do a different thing.

Crafting Table, Cartography Table, Archery Table, Alchemy Table, Blast Furnace, Loom Table (Aka Sewing Table) and SMITHING TABLE (used to repair swords and such..)

While DST should NOT become a direct Carbon copy of Minecraft- We should still definitely have some new crafting Stations capable of repairing THERMAL STONES and SPEARS.

12 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

the single player version of DS does not have a roster of 15+ playable characters and growing,

DS has more characters than DST at the current moment. DST's 3 exclusive characters (with one more DLC character on the way) are Winona, Wortox, and Wurt, while DS's exclusive characters are Wagstaff, Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wilba, and Wheeler. And yes I am aware that Wagstaff, Wilba, and Wheeler are currently not on console, they still exist.

49 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

DS has more characters than DST at the current moment. DST's 3 exclusive characters (with one more DLC character on the way) are Winona, Wortox, and Wurt, while DS's exclusive characters are Wagstaff, Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wilba, and Wheeler. And yes I am aware that Wagstaff, Wilba, and Wheeler are currently not on console, they still exist.

They exist in DLC Expansions and can only be played with when you choose to play their respective DLC Expansions, Therefore no it is not in any way at all the same as DST where you have access to all of them at once to play as.

but I also tend to forget that PC has Mods that let them do whatever they want. :(

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

They exist in DLC Expansions and can only be played with when you choose to play their respective DLC Expansions, Therefore no it is not in any way at all the same as DST where you have access to all of them at once to play as.

but I also tend to forget that PC has Mods that let them do whatever they want. :(

you can play literally any of them in any world if you have hamlet compatibility enabled

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

image.png.ba6c6c249264dd0567d0df376d7c75d9.png
You can play DLC characters in any world as long as you've got SW/Hamlet compatibility turned on. A few characters do have to be unlocked in DLC worlds first (Woodlegs, Wilbur, and Wilba), but afterwards you can play them literally anywhere. Plus, you can link worlds with the sea/skyworthies, meaning you can play any character in every world in any save file.

Also, I don't use any mods. Anything I do in my gameplay that doesn't involve Hamlet or holding items with the mouse is 100% possible for you.

25 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

image.png.ba6c6c249264dd0567d0df376d7c75d9.png
You can play DLC characters in any world as long as you've got SW/Hamlet compatibility turned on. A few characters do have to be unlocked in DLC worlds first (Woodlegs, Wilbur, and Wilba), but afterwards you can play them literally anywhere. Plus, you can link worlds with the sea/skyworthies, meaning you can play any character in every world in any save file.

Also, I don't use any mods. Anything I do in my gameplay that doesn't involve Hamlet or holding items with the mouse is 100% possible for you.

I’m pretty sure when you click those check marks it only changes the expansion your actually choosing to play in.

i have NEVER been able to play as Walani outside of Shipwrecked, and if I can please explain to me how.

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m pretty sure when you click those check marks it only changes the expansion your actually choosing to play in.

i have NEVER been able to play as Walani outside of Shipwrecked, and if I can please explain to me how.

5df010700d52f_ezgif.com-optimize(3).gif.d935cf7433b72ba6e9b163f6d16d50e2.gif 

if you want i can go get my ps4 and show you me doing it there too

Archived