4 dangerous ideas :D

Hey Klei

First of all love this game to much for my own good ;D

I been thinking on new things for the game and love to see it since u brought in the soda Fountain in the next update <3 i hope we get something to use our carbon dioxide for :D

First, let me say sorry for poor English and bad grammar.

1st idea Ignite/fire features on buildings: Have it as buildings have a chance to catch on fire, make a spark thus setting gasses/liquids on fire, or even explode. Then u can make a “safety” job to counter it and keep it in check. It will use some resources on bringing the machinery up to safety standard thus lowering chance on igniting/fire.

When the safety dupe have “upgraded” the building to the desired standard then it would deteriorate and the chance will get bigger again. Then it could be nice to have like a “schedule” tab that would give an overview what buildings and how safe they are. In addition, for setting the desired standard for safety levels on the different buildings.

2nd idea Monsters/evil critters in geysers/vents/caves: the idea is to have like a “geyser” that would spew/spawn some non-tamable critters that would attack dupes on site. The challenge would be to confine the monster cave and then kill the monsters for special resources like energy crystals or fusion worthy materials :D  

To make a kill room/farm u would need a new heavy suit with weapons to fight the monsters, and later tech would be like the auto miner just with a kill function. It would need ammo in form of bullets or a lot of power for laser version :D

3 types of spawns:

1st a cave that spawn little monsters like baby’s but very often (easy)

2nd a cave that would spawn both a little amount of baby’s and mostly adult types of the monster (medium)

3rd a cave that would only spawn adults and sometimes a Queen or King type of monster (hard)

However, every type of cave should have the chance to spawn the King/Queen monster but lower chance on easy and medium compared to the hard one. Drops of the monsters should be better on adults and Kings/Queens of course.  The King and Queen monsters should have the ability the break every tile in the game freeing the cave from the dupes. Making kings and queen something u want to kill as soon as they spawn or else they going to destroy the base or all dupe made things.

I have been thinking on some monsters already but I hope moor people can help me with some good ideas:

·        A crystal snail that would drop energy crystals and the slime it leaves behind would crystalize titles if left in free environment.

·        An acid bat that would poop out acid and making places inaccessible if left in free environment.

·        A radioactive worm that poops out radioactive fumes and materials making environment inaccessible if left in free environment  

3rd idea dangerous plants and hazardous environment: Carnivorous plants that would eat and damage dupes but on harvest the would drop some materials used for buffing dupes. When harvest the plant would have like a regrow period to come back.

Acid: lakes and clouds could be a thing damaging dupes or making an area uninhabitable or impossible to access before the acid would be neutralized, it would need a special suit or an upgraded atmo suit to clear out the acid.

Trash: from eating at mess table, drinking coffee and the water cooler. From the sauna would spawn dirty towels and so forth. The idea is that trash would bring décor down and make a fire hazards thus making it so the bigger the trash pile the bigger the chance on igniting or catching on fire.

Radiation: top tier danger, radiation would need special suits for collecting and storing in special lead made chambers/rooms. It should be visible on the disease overlay but only for dupes with the special suit and if they are in proximity of the source. Making radiation a sudden killer and something always to be afraid for and looking for.

4th idea safety jobs galore: I’m thinking that the safety skills would branch into other skills. Like a farmer with the “safety farmer” skill would be the one to deal with carnivorous platns. The “safety tidying” skill would deal with trash. “Safety rancher” or “trapper” skill to build the monster killing things like we need a special operator to build shipping things. A “safety guard” would be the one to upgrade and maintain buildings so they do not catch on fire and ignite. A safety guard can be upgraded to “soldier” skill thus making him the one to operate the heavy suit for monster caves killing.

Keep up the good work and can’t wait to see what else u guys have in plans for us down the road

If they ever do make combat a real part of the game (through aggressive critters or otherwise), I hope it's optional. I don't have any desire for combat in ONI, partly because it's not thematically interesting to me and partly because I doubt that it could be implemented in a fun way. As it stands the game is just not built to handle situations requiring precise real-time control over dupes. I think anything other than very light, non-threatening combat mechanics would end up as an exercise in frustration.

Environmental hazards and fires could be interesting, but like any new feature a lot would depend on the details of how it's built. For example, I would not want to have to micromanage the maintenance schedule of every building in the colony. If you can find a way to add the risk/reward mechanic (spend time/materials on fire prevention, or accept higher risk so I can spend them on other priorities) without bloating the game though, sure, that might be fun. Even then, it needs to be balanced so that it's not either a mandatory resource sink that you unthinkingly fulfill or a non-threat that you totally ignore - it would need to be a real choice, one that you have to actually weigh and revisit periodically as you play.

I'd like it if the vacuum of space sometimes would be consumed by a cloud of hot/cold gas and you could have space scanner detect when that might happen.

12 hours ago, SkumL said:

Trash: from eating at mess table, drinking coffee and the water cooler. From the sauna would spawn dirty towels and so forth. The idea is that trash would bring décor down and make a fire hazards thus making it so the bigger the trash pile the bigger the chance on igniting or catching on fire.

I also really like this idea a lot.

On 14.11.2019 at 11:22 PM, Sasza22 said:

Like the base game could be all about building and managing resources and the dlc would be more about fighting against the enviroment.

I hope you talk about a free DLC for ONI?
Basegame feels no way polished and there are so many bugs included, but no good performance..

it would be interesting if you had missions to fulfill, like DS adventure mode, we could go into a cave or rocket trips and then the normal world would stop while the dupes would go on this new mission, so just imagine you have a new place totally new to build a base from 0 but from top to bottom, so if you wanted resources you would have to assign those resources to be stored, the return trip would be automatic would just send the rocket back since it left it stocked on the way out but ... what if you want to go to another planet? then you would put more fuel

17 hours ago, metallichydra said:

i dont think a "creature geyser" would be a good idea. even though i like the idea, i fear everyone would just flood it with water, and let the creatures die for easy drops.

i can see what u thinking there and i did not, but thats why the king/queens can smash tiles and walls to free dem.. my thought is that with theese monster caves u can never really make dem safe but with time moor and moor manageable.. :D
like the dont stave series with the returning wolfes coming and trying to eat u.

i had anorther idea for fighting:

maybe have space pirates to fly around on the space map. then u need to build smaller spaceships with the laser guns to protect ur main rocket or maybe have like a space invader event where u need to fight off aliens or space pirates coming down.

-poor english sry

8 hours ago, SkumL said:

-poor english sry

let me preface this by saying, i am in no way making fun/trying to cause offense...(there's always a "but")

BUT

i read

8 hours ago, SkumL said:

i can see what u thinking there and i did not, but thats why the king/queens can smash tiles and walls to free dem.. my thought is that with theese monster caves u can never really make dem safe but with time moor and moor manageable.. :D
like the dont stave series with the returning wolfes coming and trying to eat u.

in this voice

Spoiler

which made it 10000000% more hilarious/terrible  wonderful (:

1. about fire/ignite: I feel like there is already a melting/phase changing mechenic and the game and it works for the most part. and heat is already a big part of the game.

most of stuff you build are either metal or stone/mineral. I can see wood burning a thing but kinda find it hard to immagine how it will be presented in a game... so over all im not sold on the idea of fires.

however, as @goboking mentioned, radiation could be implemented in a game neutrally (as already heat radiation is fun part of the game) and I think if Klei find a way to make it fun it could be a good idea.

2. I agree with @Supraluminal at pretty much everything he says. For me, I find combat to be the less intriguing in those kinds of games. I think its not really what the game is about, adding combat would probably make it just more frustrating and not fun to play with (As already fighting with pokes is just annoying unneccesarly).

A lot of games are not about combat, and thats fine. look at the Anno's or Sunless sea, where it feels like they added combat only because 'thats what games do' but it just ended up being unfun and under developed part of the game.

I feel like the ONI community doesn't look for combat. at least at the most part.

however, maybe more interrelations between in game critters/plants and the enviroment could be interesting. I already like how pufts work with morbs, where one produces what another seeks. or how Dreckos eat blam lilies that grow in the world, or pips. any more interections like those would be interesting imo. but not dupe-critters combat.

16 hours ago, meepmoop said:

1. about fire/ignite: I feel like there is already a melting/phase changing mechenic and the game and it works for the most part. and heat is already a big part of the game.

Bear in mind that fire doesn't necessarily have to be about heat.  Overloading circuits could be a source of fire.  This gives players the agency to avoid accidental overloads, but also adds a new challenge for people who get careless.

16 hours ago, meepmoop said:

I think its not really what the game is about

The game is about problem solving.  Combat, implemented properly, could be another problem to solve for without changing the paradigm.  Take the shockworm, for example.

5c1a557c4a7c6_theoryjonfirmed.gif.334a8b

These could be aggressive, territorial critters that attack on sight.  Now you've got to account for your pacifist miner's inability to defend himself.  Or take it a step further.  Say they spawn from nests and drop something valuable.  Now you've got a decision to make.  Do you clear the area and destroy the nest, eliminating the threat?  Or do let them keep respawining, giving you a renewable source of whatever they drop at the cost of injuries suffered during combat?

And as with everything else in this game - be it germs, stress, or calorie intake - I'm sure Klei would give us the option to toggle aggressive critter behavior on or off so we can each play the game we want to play it

Archived