Please help me understand water reservoirs

Not sure what you're looking for.  A water reservoir is just a hole filled with water.  Tiled in or not as you like.

Now if you're asking about an infinite storage setup, that's still pretty easy but does involve some specific setup.

Just now, Soulwind said:

Not sure what you're looking for.  A water reservoir is just a hole filled with water.  Tiled in or not as you like.

Now if you're asking about an infinite storage setup, that's still pretty easy but does involve some specific setup.

liquidreservoir.png.fc3e4fa28e64fb0ac68fe9dcc79c47dd.pngnew_liquidreservoir.png.51bbc5f4f9bcba73a232f8b2e440f90c.png These things.

Liquid goes in, liquid goes out. The biggest trick is using them to remove germs from water. Place a reservoir in a room filled with chlorine, and the germs will get purified. Liquid pipes do not have this ability, this includes the smallest piece of output pipe that you might connect to something.

Liquid reservoirs are handy for reducing your power demand for pumps. The reservoir acts like a "water tower" and fluid will flow out freely, without costing any electricity. Pump it once, store it up and it'll flow in circles forever.

Liquid goes in, liquid tries to come out. If liquid can't come out, up to 5,000kg will build up in the reservoir. 

You can force a reservoir to fill by either blocking the output with a valve/shutoff or opening an airlock door underneath it. (Opening the door prevents outflow but inflow is still accepted.)

Contents of the reservoir will react to the outside environment in exactly 2 ways. 

1) Chlorine will kill all germs in the reservoir in a bit under 200 seconds, assuming no in/outflow for the entire 200 seconds. (Note, there are ways of using multiple full reservoirs in series to disinfect a full 10kg/sec)

2) The contents of the reservoir react thermally to only the left tile the reservoir is sitting on. For whatever reason, the contents are treated as debris sitting on that tile. If you need perfect insulation on the contents of the reservoir, put it in a vacuum and have the left tile be eith mesh or airflow. (Note, the reservoir itself and it's contents to not directly interact with each other, only indirectly through the left tile and whatever liquid/gas is above the left tile) 

What @beowulf2010 said, and the links. One other nice feature of his description of the mesh tile under the left edge completely insulating the contents in a vacuum is you can still use the on/off door, too. Just put the mechanized airlock next to the mesh tile, under the right lower tile of the reservoir. Still turns the reservoir output on and off when closed and opened. Very useful for liquid hydrogen or LOX storage in your rocket setup.

On 11/4/2019 at 9:27 AM, minespatch said:

I'd like a beginner's view of water reservoirs with pictures please. Nothing too complicated, just something to help me get a little better at maintaining stored water and flooded areas(which is why I made flooding aisles.

I have a few examples.  They're not exactly straight forward, but.. they work.  Here is a reservoir used on a cooling loop from an aquatuner.  

Example one: Liquid pipe buffering.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4bcf24b04a8def1f0a7a7638cb972332.png

image.thumb.png.6815280a334e11da60ed9c7d32cecc64.png

image.thumb.png.86c6596a858bf3fb33f767e50751bfd9.png

image.png.221a7fc488e10ae6268976fc7a49b396.png

image.thumb.png.a432371af28fc92ef25aa1f44ad33e11.png

In this particular example, the reservoir acts as a liquid buffer.  When the circulating water is warmer than 14c (liquid pipe thermo sensor in upper-right corner of the pool), the Liquid Shutoff is open, letting water flow through the aquatuner to get cooled down (First picture).  When it is not, the shutoff closes, sending the water through a shorter pipe segment so that it continues circulating in the pool (Second Picture).  The extra liquid is buffered in the reservoir so that it always continues flowing smoothly.  Letting it circulate helps my pool maintain a more consistent temperature even when I'm continually adding hot water from a cool steam vent.

Here's another example: Using it as a resource pool.

Spoiler

image.png.d88b4ccee7aa1c7bfee2151d639c6404.png

image.png.ff819b52a5e7f0821ea08de9361fa30b.png

image.png.2b616610bad66e1a75abcd777811c4bb.png

In this particular case, the reservoir is full of petroleum.  The line feeds a petroleum generator that runs periodically.  Oil comes in to an oil refinery that is capable of producing 5kg/s petroleum while a dupe is operating it.  The generator uses 2kg/s while running.  If necessary, the generator can run for more than a full cycle before a dupe must operate the refinery.  This means I can set my refinery to a lower priority without worrying that my generator will run out of juice.  It also means that I don't need to dig a pool with a pump to feed the generator.

Here's a third case: Temporary intermittent storage.

Spoiler

image.png.4b7f6e0c227d4bb6c90eb3e92d6f1ec0.png

image.png.7464d03664095c152b1438016d1100eb.png

image.png.17fb326f16f867d020a8683fd2b176de.png

This is the business end of my closed-loop septic system.  Polluted water from my toilets, sinks, and showers comes in to a water sieve and gets filtered into clean water.  This water still contains germs, so I don't want it getting into my pure supply.  The default route for the water is to go straight into the feed back to my bathrooms.  There is always a little extra due to the dupes using the toilets.  This extra gets stored in the reservoir to eventually feed in to my electrolyzers.  Currently my electrolyzers are fed hot water from a cool steam vent.  I want to use the hot water before I use anything else, so while the vent is errupting, germy water gets stored in the reservoir.  Once the eruption stops, the reservoir feeds in to the electrolyzers. Finally, if there is no hot water, and there is no germy water, THEN the electrolyzers use from my cooled supply (shown in the first example).  I'd show the whole system, but its a mess because it was built a bit at a time.  At some point I'll overhaul the system, but .. since its working at the moment, I just leave it alone.

Finally, a 4th case: Temperature safe temporary storage

Spoiler

image.png.be07e8f92f770ee1955285d63c46385c.png

image.png.3d267de7ee24acf2dc803eaf151d56c8.png

image.png.ea9e300cf2f28014e91d38863c62a74a.png

I have an oil well in a very cold location.  In fact, even with insulated pipes, the water would freeze during periods of inactivity.  The solution was to store the water close by and use a circulating loop to the oil well.  I could have built an insulated pool with pumps and everything else necessary to hold water in the cold area.  Instead, a reservoir works just as nicely, without needing power or a lot of space. 

I hope this answers your question about how to use reservoirs.

Archived