To get right into it, I did like Woodie's video, though I felt mixed feelings with it. I've been looking forward to getting some shred of concrete lore on his background for years now, and I'll admit I felt a bit cheated/disappointed when I saw his video. On the other hand, I did think it was pretty funny how something as extreme as being cursed to turn into icon Canadian animals, and having a sentient talking ax, are sort of a "meh" background that the setting doesn't think needs any further explaining. The Constant is a pretty weird world anyway, but I thought there was something wry about that.

Anyway, I overall have positive feelings towards the video, but I really, reeeeally want something concrete on Woodie. Please Klei, I'll sacrifice as many rabbits, filthy birds, and potato cups as it takes.

I just wanted to bring up a few things I liked in particular.

- The music was perfect. Honestly, does anyone else want to get a gramophone in the game to blast that theme in their camp? I've wanted to build a fur-trader's post or lumber camp in the game for a while, but this song makes me want to build pig cabins, give all of them catcoon caps, hoist a Canadian flag and wolf down some flapjacks while clear-cutting a forest. It was sooo good. I thought it sounded classic "Outdoorsmany" and Paul Bunyan-like.

- The art style. It was a little off compared to the other ones we've gotten, and made me think more of the Wortox and Wormwood videos than Willow's and Warly's, but I also thought it had a "Paul Bunyan" look to it that fit Woodie really well. Not much else to say there, but while Woodie did look a bit off in it (or "stylized"), I thought it seemed like a fitting theme for him.

I don't have much else to say on it I think. I'm thrilled Woodie got fixed after his initial refresh, though considering the time and effort it must take to make these shorts, I'm not very hopeful that we'll get an actual lore video on him anytime soon. Really disappointing as a Woodie main, but at least playing as him is a blast.

What about all of you? What were your thoughts on the video? Think we'll ever actually get a lore video on everyone's favorite Canadian stereotype?

As a side note, I wasn't expecting the hockey theme for his skin pack and new skin, but I actually really like them. I'd love more woodsman-themed ones (a capote coat would be perfect, both as a traditional outdoorsman apparel and something that originated in Canada), but I do like the ones we got. His beard with the hockey skin is a solid 10/10 in my opinion.

1 minute ago, TheTraditionalGentleman said:
  1. The music was perfect. Honestly, does anyone else want to get a gramophone in the game to blast that theme in their camp?ke.
  2. - The art style. It was a little off compared to the other ones we've gotten, and made me think more of the Wortox and Wormwood videos than Willow's and Warly's
  3. What about all of you? What were your thoughts on the video?
  4. Think we'll ever actually get a lore video on everyone's favorite Canadian stereotype?
  5. As a side note, I wasn't expecting the hockey theme for his skin pack and new skin, but I actually really like them. I'd love more woodsman-themed ones (a capote coat would be perfect, both as a traditional outdoorsman apparel and something that originated in Canada), but I do like the ones we got. His beard with the hockey skin is a solid 10/10 in my opinion.
  1. The opening track gave me huge nostalgia of my childhood whenever I visited Frontierland in Disneyland. So it's still stuck in my head.:wilson_ecstatic: I'd actually would love a extended track of just the Woodie chopping music.
  2. I feel that the Warly short had some off animation as well(mainly the closeup on Warly's face doesn't feel as fluid but more puppety in the rigging). The aesthetic on the short is what is bothering people more than the animation. Since I see a bit of Jeff Agala's love for those 180 shots(that he probably storyboarded). I'm a little disappointed how majorly the moose design out of the rest of the designs are in contrast to the game style moose. My father said he was expecting Woodie to be joining a flying squirrel when he saw the new short.
  3. As a fun romp, it takes me back to Cartoon Network's What a Cartoon pitch series. So it was really fun, made me think of Tom and Jerry. Though I'm sad the treeguard at the end didn't blink to add some morbidity to the end.
  4. Something is telling me they're saving lore for a big movie. We didn't exactly get lore on Warly for his deal scene. Usually when a person enters the Constant, they make a deal. So he must have talked to Maxwell before the events with Angeline.
  5. I love the new skins, just wished the log cabin skin had the pigman leaving with a canadian sweater. Would've added a nice touch.
1 minute ago, TheTraditionalGentleman said:

I overall have positive feelings towards the video, but I really, reeeeally want something concrete on Woodie. Please Klei, I'll sacrifice as many rabbits, filthy birds, and potato cups as it takes.

That Winona video seems to promise us something big for the future. On the connection board she made, Woodie is on a missing poster, a photograph of a Constant spiral, and he's connected to the Voxola factory.

4 minutes ago, minespatch said:
  1. The opening track gave me huge nostalgia of my childhood whenever I visited Frontierland in Disneyland. So it's still stuck in my head.:wilson_ecstatic: I'd actually would love a extended track of just the Woodie chopping music.
  2. I feel that the Warly short had some off animation as well(mainly the closeup on Warly's face doesn't feel as fluid but more puppety in the rigging). The aesthetic on the short is what is bothering people more than the animation. Since I see a bit of Jeff Agala's love for those 180 shots(that he probably storyboarded). I'm a little disappointed how majorly the moose design out of the rest of the designs are in contrast to the game style moose. My father said he was expecting Woodie to be joining a flying squirrel when he saw the new short.
  3. As a fun romp, it takes me back to Cartoon Network's What a Cartoon pitch series. So it was really fun, made me think of Tom and Jerry. Though I'm sad the treeguard at the end didn't blink to add some morbidity to the end.
  4. Something is telling me they're saving lore for a big movie. We didn't exactly get lore on Warly for his deal scene. Usually when a person enters the Constant, they make a deal. So he must have talked to Maxwell before the events with Angeline.
  5. I love the new skins, just wished the log cabin skin had the pigman leaving with a canadian sweater. Would've added a nice touch.

That Winona video seems to promise us something big for the future. On the connection board she made, Woodie is on a missing poster, a photograph of a Constant spiral, and he's connected to the Voxola factory.

Yeah, the moose did look a little out of place compared to the others. A flying squirrel would have been fitting :D. The Moose is a lot burlier in the actual game.

I've seen some people mention the idea of a big lore movie, and I really hope that's the case. That would be great. The idea of the pigs in sweaters is perfect too! We could make a legitimate Canadian pig village XD Plus that would set the groundwork for more pig house skins and different looking pigs in the future.

And yeah, I was wondering about that. He shows up as missing in her video, which implies he had at least some connection to the factory or someone there. So he can't have been just some hermit in the woods. I wonder what deal Woodie made?

I think the video I'm most looking forward to next is Webber's. I already have the scene played out in my mental headcannon, but he is a really interesting character, so I'm hoping we'll get to see how he came to be.

Isn't the video just supposed to be like that though? I know we all wanted some super tragic backstory behind Lucy, but Woodie's entire character is just an amalgam of Canadian stereotypes, I.e a joke. Klei seems to know exactly what they were doing with the past cinematics, so having said that, it makes sense that Woodie's short was really just "wUdi FoUghT a tReEGuarD loL" rather than actual lore. 

16 minutes ago, Canis said:

Inb4 its just him post-spider dancing around eggs and fending off a hound attack.

Yeah, I guess that's the fear now, that some characters might not even get any lore explained. I don't want that to happen, though if Woodie for some reason got singled out to not get a lore video I won't be happy either XD  

1 minute ago, Plushical said:

Isn't the video just supposed to be like that though? I know we all wanted some super tragic backstory behind Lucy, but Woodie's entire character is just an amalgam of Canadian stereotypes, I.e a joke. Klei seems to know exactly what they were doing with the past cinematics, so having said that, it makes sense that Woodie's short was really just "wUdi FoUghT a tReEGuarD loL" rather than actual lore. 

I guess that could be it. It's possible he's just a joke character, though I'd hope even as a joke character he would have something a little more real. The DLC characters had more lore in their videos than a Woodie, a canon character, and if any backstory were to get written off I'd have thought it would have been theirs. Not that I want any of them to be written off, but I was hoping for something for Woodie. 

4 minutes ago, minespatch said:

The video didn't even exhibit the idols and their mechanics.

I noticed that too! He just changed on will. You'd think for a video that was going to omit any lore for a showcase of new abilities we'd see the idols get used. Heck, maybe his lore being him making them for the first time. Or his first transformation into his new forms during the full moon, and his reaction to it. That could be a lot of fun.

I'm noticing that the more I talk in this thread the more negative I feel about the video, but I think the lack of lore just left a sour taste in my mouth lol. I do like the video we got, but I was wanting something different. Even just a thin sliver of background information on him.

7 minutes ago, TheTraditionalGentleman said:

I'm noticing that the more I talk in this thread the more negative I feel about the video, but I think the lack of lore just left a sour taste in my mouth lol. I do like the video we got, but I was wanting something different. Even just a thin sliver of background information on him.

Yeah, I'm being negative too. The video was a juggling act with my emotions since I love what Klei did but felt my expectations subverted.

Just now, minespatch said:

Yeah, I'm being negative too. The video was a juggling act with my emotions since I love what Klei did but felt my expectations subverted.

I think that's a good way of putting it. "Expectation Subversion" isn't always a good thing. I guess we'll just see what happens with the other characters next. Klei said each one was going to be getting a lore video, so I'm still expecting to see bits of their backgrounds, but like I said above, it'll be weird if Woodie is the only one (including DLC characters) who didn't get any lore. I suppose we'll just see what Klei decides to do *shrug*.

Archived