Red gems in winter/spring?

Is there any reliable way to acquire more red gems without having to wait for summer to arrive for the periodic hounds?

I'm playing solo atm, and are currently preparing for the ruins and want some red gems to get purples, and I want to wait until after ruins before I attempt another dragonfly kill(my pan flute is 20% atm)

I've already dug all the graves in my world and every clockwork in the surface world has been killed(so no bishops for purples)

Do I have to just tumbleweed farm for red gems during blue hound seasons? At least until I eventually raid the ruins, or is there a more reliable method?

All of the useful suggestions have been posted, every one of them is RNG based with the fastest output to my experiences being haunting hounds (which if not using life amulets which cost red gems will wear down on wood and beardhair pretty fast.)

I know you said you're playing solo but if you don't mind changing that having a friend to just sit in the server to prevent the world from attempting to reset and saving you a good bit of resources and time is recommended, otherwise best of luck.

I didn't think of stalagmites, Maybe I could spend a winter doing that. I know caves in winter is a bad idea, but I'm spending all spring and summer krampus farming(He doesn't like droping that sack), and spending autumn tree chopping with bearger then restocking moon glass after.

It's a solo sufvival world, so I don't plan on suiciding, I have yet to get the meat effigy actually, I usually have one after ruins as the monkies drop plenty of beard hair.

I'll try some stalagmite mining one winter.

Also I'm aware of the moon glass thing, it's just I only go to the moon island in autumn after bearger shenanigans. Perhaps after I finally get my krampus sack I can actually spend spring doing other things for once.

But yeah, anywho, this worlds pretty late in (about 450 days atm) and I don't plan to suicide just to haunt hounds, so I'll try stalagmites one winter, it's currently winter now in my world, but it's like 2 days till spring and I want to be ready for another spring spend krampus farming.

Thanks for the suggestions anywho.

Best way to get so much gems that you don't know what's you gonna do with all this is ruins.

Bring hammers and pickaxes, make sure you destroy all the Broken Clockworks around and you will surely result in +10 red gems from this:

SetSharedLootTable("chess_junk",
{
    {'trinket_6',      1.00}, --wires
    {'trinket_6',      0.55},
    {'trinket_1',      0.25}, --marbles
    {'gears',          0.25},
    {'redgem',         0.25},
    {"greengem" ,      0.05},
    {"yellowgem",      0.05},
    {"purplegem",      0.05},
    {"orangegem",      0.05},
    {"thulecite",      0.01},
})

After that, mining statues will result in a lot of ruins gems but some red one depending of your luck, and then, the Labyrinth could be nice and have some:

Spoiler

local items = 
	{
		{
			--Body Items
			item = {"armorwood", "footballhat"},
			chance = 0.2,
			initfn = function(item) item.components.armor:SetCondition(math.random(item.components.armor.maxcondition * 0.33, item.components.armor.maxcondition * 0.8)) end,
		},
		{
			--Weapon Items
			item = {"spear"},
			chance = 0.2,
			initfn = function(item) item.components.finiteuses:SetUses(math.random(item.components.finiteuses.total * 0.33, item.components.finiteuses.total * 0.8)) end,
		},
		{
			item = "nightmarefuel",
			count = math.random(1, 3),
			chance = 0.2,
		},
		{
			item = {"redgem", "bluegem", "purplegem"},
			count = math.random(1,2),
			chance = 0.15,
		},
		{
			item = "thulecite_pieces",
			count = math.random(2, 4),
			chance = 0.2,
		},
		{
			item = "thulecite",
			count = math.random(1, 3),
			chance = 0.1,
		},
		{
			item = {"yellowgem", "orangegem", "greengem"},
			count = 1,
			chance = 0.07,
		},
		{
			--Weapon Items
			item = {"batbat"},
			chance = 0.05,
			initfn = function(item) if item.components.finiteuses ~= nil then item.components.finiteuses:SetUses(math.random(item.components.finiteuses.total * 0.3, item.components.finiteuses.total * 0.5)) end end,
		},
		{
			--Weapon Items
			item = {"firestaff", "icestaff", "multitool_axe_pickaxe"},
			chance = 0.05,
			initfn = function(item) item.components.finiteuses:SetUses(math.random(item.components.finiteuses.total * 0.3, item.components.finiteuses.total * 0.5)) end,
		},
	}

Know you said you wanted to wait for Dfly due to low Pan Flute durability, but...there are other options for handling it.
Big one: if world resource regen is turned on, then the Mandrakes should (s h o u l d) eventually start re-spawning around where they were first found. More Pan Flutes can be obtained that way.
Other than that, maxing out Dfly's wetness by spamming a few Water Balloons will also end the Enraged state. Rain also helps slightly.

Otherwise, yea, it's all pretty much been covered. Go forth and rid this world of the Stalagmite menace.
Remember when you do get around to raiding the ruins that any unneeded Pseudoscience Stations can be smashed to pieces for goodies, they aren't just for crafting.

4 hours ago, maradyne said:

Big one: if world resource regen is turned on, then the Mandrakes should (s h o u l d) eventually start re-spawning around where they were first found. More Pan Flutes can be obtained that way.

This is a lie, i dunno where you found this but the resource regeneration regens only plants with the exception of bushes/tufts and saplings and mandrakes.

The only reliable methods I know of to get red gems from renewable sources are haunting hounds and killing the Dragonfly, neither of which is exactly convenient. Earthquakes in the caves drop red and blue gems somewhat more often than tumbleweeds do, but it's still a low RNG chance. However, if you're poking around in the caves anyways mining stalagmites or fighting bishops or something, it's probably worth keeping an eye out.

23 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

This is a lie, i dunno where you found this but the resource regeneration regens only plants with the exception of bushes/tufts and saplings and mandrakes.

On Endless worlds, berry bushes (both kinds), grass tufts and saplings (and flint, technically) spawn randomly around the world. Try setting them to "None" in World Generation settings on a new world, and you'll find that some eventually spawn regardless. You are correct in that mandrakes don't respawn, though.

Also, cactus, reeds, lichen, glowberries, and mushrooms (there may be more I didn't list) are plants that don't spawn with resource regeneration. It's only carrots, flowers, trees, light flowers and rabbit holes that regenerate on all worlds.

1 hour ago, Ispin69 said:

What about a varg farm?

A Varg will not spawn red hounds during winter and spring, which is what the OP wants.

It seems that the other replies here listen basically every source of red gems in the game, but I'm just going to add one: Klaus. If you defeat him, his deer leave their gems behind. It seems silly to fight an entire boss for one red gem, but hey, at least you get random boss drops of questionable quality!

On 9/6/2019 at 11:24 AM, Electroely said:

A Varg will not spawn red hounds during winter and spring, which is what the OP wants.

It seems that the other replies here listen basically every source of red gems in the game, but I'm just going to add one: Klaus. If you defeat him, his deer leave their gems behind. It seems silly to fight an entire boss for one red gem, but hey, at least you get random boss drops of questionable quality!

If you are really determined and have extra antlers, you could telelocate Klaus away as soon as he appears to get gems from the deers (they will drop their gems after Klaus despawns out of range). Might be worth the effort if you have extra purple gems lying around. Otherwise you'll still get 3 red gems back for each telelocator staff. Of course, you could just kill the deer without telelocating Klaus, but that requires more effort.

5 hours ago, mistrbushido said:

If you are really determined and have extra antlers, you could telelocate Klaus away as soon as he appears to get gems from the deers (they will drop their gems after Klaus despawns out of range). Might be worth the effort if you have extra purple gems lying around. Otherwise you'll still get 3 red gems back for each telelocator staff. Of course, you could just kill the deer without telelocating Klaus, but that requires more effort.

...holy heck, you might've just devised a new long term farming strat.
Considering the amount of antlers that are obtainable per herd this is is actually a great idea.

Archived