My current base schematics(please critique)

I'd consider putting the refinery and algae down lower and shift the break room up? Your schedule will dictate this to some degree, but dupes will generally use the bathroom, eat, and go to the break room before sleeping. If this is putting more distance between your farms and heat creating machines so much the better. 

Just something to consider. Rather than having an explicitly planned base, I go for a "distributed" base design. 
I make sure that:
- all floors are have 4 tiles of space between them
- you insulate areas that require it
- airlock areas that require it.

As I develop my base, I simply chop and change areas as I need them. It is not optimally efficient in terms of travel time and fps but you can chop and change pieces of the base as you need to quite easily
image.thumb.png.97488d98be82268897258bd4e25aa4bc.png

image.thumb.png.719581b045ca2ad92cffb4fdb2369af4.png

1 hour ago, Smithe37 said:

It is not optimally efficient in terms of travel time and fps but you can chop and change pieces of the base as you need to quite easily

Holy mother of lags.

Do you use your cpu to heat your house?

Jokin aside...nothing wrong even this way. To optimise your pathfinding just insert some doors and set direction rules...i.e make some 1 ways so to say...not every floor has to be a two way road...if you half the amount of possible paths your cpu will thank you dearly

2 hours ago, minespatch said:

Which I do except for stuff that involves five tiles high length.

You could also combine two section vertically and split them; so you would have a 5 and a 3 or a 6 and a 2.  And you can use the short section for gas tanks or storage or an extra pool of liquid.

What about a shine bug ranch?  You can fill you base with non-electric no-heat lighting and add decor at the cost of some phosphorite, which dreckos produce.

10 minutes ago, SquirrelTeeth said:

What about a shine bug ranch?  You can fill you base with non-electric no-heat lighting and add decor at the cost of some phosphorite, which dreckos produce.

I wrote that on my second schematic page. So I plan on getting phosproite in the future. I also want to make shovole farms as soon as I unlock metal tiles in my currently playthrough.

1 minute ago, ONIfreak said:

Showers in the bedroom by the door. Thats my trick to save dupe travel time. They wake up - shower and are ready to go. 

I didn't realize I could do that. Will add that to my notes.

Place the slickster farm on the bottom right of your main base outside the insulation ring and use a jebaiter to draw the CO2 into the room.
Takes very little power, and gets the CO2 out of the living quarters.

If you're against the jebaiter do it with ordinary pumps.

Also, I'd have slicksters above the shroom farm so they won't eat all the CO2.

18 hours ago, minespatch said:

I didn't realize I could do that. Will add that to my notes.

To be clear, showers aren't counted towards any room bonus, and won't conflict with either bedrooms or washrooms. They can technically go anywhere. There are loads of different bedroom and bathroom designs out there, and it really depends on personal taste as well as how many dupes you want to cater for. 

If you're committed to a 4x16 grid you can condense the whole lot into 1 unit: 

door/wall + cot + cot + cot + cot + door + shower + lavatory + sink + door

or 

door/wall + comfy bed + comfy bed + comfy bed + door + shower + lavatory + sink  + door

This gives you a combined barracks/bathroom or bedroom/bathroom for 4 or 3 dupes in a single 16x4 grid. You just have to put up with the interior door not dividing up the bedroom/bathroom evenly. I usually give the extra tile to the bedroom because you'll have a free decor tile when you are using cots, and you don't need to adjust anything when you switch to comfy beds. 

You can reverse the design so that you have these bedroom/bathroom combos on either side of your dining hall and rec rooms, which would take up the middle grid spaces. So if you arrange your rooms to be: 

bed/bath - rec room - bed/bath

bed/bath - dining - bed/bath 

You can have 12 dupes in comfy beds in a single 2x3 array. 

7 hours ago, cpy said:

As long as it works, it's fine in my eyes.

It does. The pip fields on the left work so well. The dreckos and Shinebugs get a place to move around in. The right is the squeaky puft fields which will clean the bins and drop a huge ton of bleach stone so I can refuel the sanitizers.

Hatchery near the oil fields means the heat from the lower area will rise the hatching time.

On 02/09/2019 at 5:19 AM, Smithe37 said:

Just something to consider. Rather than having an explicitly planned base, I go for a "distributed" base design. 
I make sure that:
- all floors are have 4 tiles of space between them

Except when you need a space of 5, or 6...

I like the concept of building to a plan or set of guidelines, but the reality is that when you find that magma volcano right in the middle of your allocated area for planting your sleet wheat farm, what you gonna do?

I find that my base design is more determined by what vents are available and where they are situated, it doesn't make sense to have a fixed plan and just seal off valuable resource, this sounds counter-productive to me.

I would agree that some of the base design is helped by having a fixed plan before hand, this subset should only include basic amenities, such as beds, kitchen, bathroom, R&D and maybe a water supply and farm.  Most other installations fall into the dynamic category determined largely by geyser placement, specific to the map. 

For example, It does not make sense to plan out your NG power station at the top of the map when all your NG geysers are at the bottom.  This leads to overly complex pipe networking.

My suggestion is to first make a list of your essential installations, work out the size of your starting biome and make a plan to fit all that you think is essential into this area.  You can then make a list of other installations rated by importance and once you have mapped out the location of geysers, you can then start to develop more of a plan as to where things are going to fit.

However, always bear in mind, that as your base grows and your requirements change, that your design will change also, meaning that you should always consider allowing for expansion of an installation, such as extra pipes, room for automation, extra power supply, storage of stuff etc.

7 hours ago, Craigjw said:

I would agree that some of the base design is helped by having a fixed plan before hand, this subset should only include basic amenities, such as beds, kitchen, bathroom, R&D and maybe a water supply and farm

The water supply also acts as my puft farms. With Dense, prince pufts, and longhair slicksters giving those farms for clean air while pufts and morbs acting for polluted water and air. I have my reasons for my setup.

3 hours ago, Gurgel said:

You are planning this stuff? Impressive! I just half-ass it and so far that seems to be working out.

Pen & paper would suggest lack of access to a computer? ONI on paper is better than no ONI. :D

But on topic, @Craigjw said it all I think.

9 hours ago, minespatch said:

Pretty much, I tend to think this stuff while away from my computer.

whenever I do planning of more complicated things, I do not use a computer. I have, in fact, installed a large white-board in another room for that purpose and I use it regularly.

Archived