sanity changes?

So with how the Tides have Turned, we now have a new sanity mechanic, its limited to the moon biome, but its new. Does this mean we may get some changes to base sanity mechanics in the future? Lowering sanity tends to be a very common downside to items, enemies, mechanics, and characters, yet all you get is a few extra enemies that drop a rare resource. It's mostly a benefit to those who can fight it off. im hoping with the Return of Them update(s) that we get some changes to insanity so its a real threat, yano, make it so it's an actual problem? With a flint axe, good kiting, and enough patients, you can deal with it with little issue right now, so maybe something more is advisable.

I want something more than just stronger shadow monsters, maybe something like attacking random things, or more severe vision impairment, maybe even straight debuffs like slower speed, weaker attack, lower defence, stuff like that. Maybe more enemies are affected by the insanity like bunnies are, so they get stronger. Things like spiders would get much stronger but don't change their loot poo, so you only get the downsides.

Could also just have more interesting shadow monsters, like a ranged one, or one that charges, maybe one that can lock you in place, or ones that have a longer ranged melee attack. Maybe even more inanity things like the hand that snuff out your fire. Like, what if there was a skittering hand that followed you and knocked what you were holding in your hand away, and if you are holding a torch or lantern it turns off when you're hit.

Maybe if you hit 0 sanity it summons a bigger nightmare monster that is like a miniboss, with attacks that are hard to kite easy or has other powers like some of the fuel weavers attacks, but weaker.

Really all I want is losing sanity to be an actual downside, rather than being somewhat helpful if you know what you are doing. They can have it still be helpful to farm nightmare fuel, just make it harder. When hunger is low, you raise it to stave off death, when your health is low, you raise it to stave off death, yet all raising sanity does for you is despawning two enemies and cut you off from a valuable magical resource, sure they monsters might kill you, maybe. But it's not as guaranteed as health and hunger is. if there were more, and more mechanically varied shadow monsters, it would make insanity much more deadly than it is now, which would indirectly nerf anything that lowers sanity, since it brings you closer to most probable doom. these things would include, but is not limited to: wetness, wicker's books, wormwood's plant empathy, wortox's soul chomping, food, magic items in general, and evil flowers.

i think that an idea would be that it could spawn hallucinations such as seeing food when insanity and hungry or maybe having more kite able but more heavy spawning shadow creatures making the player more on edge. i'm still a noob so whatever

Honestly, yeah. Insanity is laughably easy once you know what you're doing. The only real time that you're in any real risk is if you're lagging, or fighting a boss.

I'm down for vision impairments, and also for more shadow creatures, and possibly, if you're insane you see depleted items (such as a grass tuft or sapling that has been picked) as unpicked. When you try to harvest them, they emit a cloud of nightmare fuel (visually) and don't give any resources.

Making insanity more dangerous would make it harder for new players to enjoy the game.

If it was locked behind a boss, ritual, or day count to give new players a buffer then I would be all for it. That and maybe some reward for dealing with the harder insanity would be nice.

39 minutes ago, ButterStuffed said:

Making insanity more dangerous would make it harder for new players to enjoy the game.

If it was locked behind a boss, ritual, or day count to give new players a buffer then I would be all for it. That and maybe some reward for dealing with the harder insanity would be nice.

Man, if only Insanity was intended to a negative thing that players want to stay away from, while only purposefully going insane for risk/reward nightmare fuel.

It *needs* to be more dangerous. Whatever happened to the "Trial and Error" aspect of DS/T? Does that just not exist anymore? If a new player comes across a challenge, and stops playing the game because it's too hard, I'm afraid survival games aren't meant for them.

Maybe make more dangerous shadows spawn after you kill like 5-7 shadow creatures with a X day delay before the dangerous shadows stop spawning.

this could make sanity kinda noob-friendly considering noobs hardly ever kill shadow creatures and if they do they wont dip back into insanity for some time.

7 hours ago, ButterStuffed said:

I disagree with this because newer players tend to avoid insanity altogether. Seriously, they pick every single flower on the map. (And I might have too at one point)

My point is even if insanity was made harder it is still easy to avoid because players are given many ways to improve sanity as soon as they start the game. And it only gets better as the game goes on.

That being said insanity is for the most part not necessarily irrelevant. It still can occur lategame due to larger sources of sanity drain. Though when it does occur I would say that it's kinda lackluster. Already going insane is almost assuredly a death sentence for new players but is laughable to anyone who has learned the kiting pattern, is not lagging, and is paying attention. So adding in some mechanics to spice up insanity wouldn't necessarily hurt newer players as much as you would think I'm afraid.

I like reliability personally, not a big fan of the concept of "enjoy it while it lasts" in a game like fps shooters have (lookin' at you Overwatch). If you change existing things too much you run the risk of any one concept not being reliable because any single thing can change at any one point. EX: Say a new player (one that does not know about the forums or care to read the patch notes every single time they are released) barely knows how to make food in order to survive and manages to figure out they can make meatballs reliably easily...only for the benefits to consistently change based on public opinion such as decreasing the hunger value from 62.5 to 37.5 due to being OP and increasing the hunger of fish tacos to say 90 to "balance" it out (on top of constant fluctuation); they would have an even less of a chance to survive at that point, and make understanding some of the numerous concepts in the game even more tedious and frustrating for new (potential money for big daddy Klei, which means more content for us) players. 

This would be in line with all the other dramatic changes people always assume will make the game better for "everyone" such as "adding one monster meat in a crockpot will ALWAYS result in Monster Lasagna", "The map should reset the Fog of War every year", or my favorite "Fighting should be completely reworked to have stamina, durability, different attack patterns, and every enemy should be reworked to fit this regime". In truth, it benefits a small amount of people to change existing stuff to make the game "even harder" because it's not made with the mindset to benefit "everyone" only "us". I would however, love to see new concepts for new entities and fauna such as perhaps a new shadow creature specific to each survivor that rewards extra nightmare fuel. IMO changes should be made immediately after being implemented, or otherwise when it goes against the intention of the devs (flat out cheating) such as clipping out of bounds to fight a mob that can't hit you back as a result *cough* *cough* old Bee Queen *cough*.

insanity is suppose to be a state of mind that players should avoid in the first place and personally i think there are enough ways to increase sanity for most characters such as woodie and wormwood planting and maxwell literally having internal tamoshanter.

in my opinion it would make balancing much more easier as wicker and wolfgang the 2 power houses would have to be more wary of there sanity as it is easier for them to lose sanity

On 28/08/2019 at 12:59 PM, Canis said:

When you try to harvest them, they emit a cloud of nightmare fuel (visually) and don't give any resources.

Evil. I like it.

More sanity monster variation, while incredibly cool and potent fan-art material, means Deerclops's (and other monsters's) aura becomes even more menacing (ゴゴゴゴ) which, depending on how difficult to stave off said monsters are, might make fights frustrating, and not necessarily hard.

I'm a big fan of Sanity Changes like Bunnies and Bernie, as long as they don't touch Hounds. Hounds are annoying enough by day 110 already. Maybe every spider has a 25% chance to become a tallbird-high Ogre Spider (google the species, if you want nightmares) once you reach low sanity? Double its damage, keep the health, idc, just make it scary.

Literally anything in the constant can be made bigger and scarier, you just need nightmare fuel and pitch-black spiky fur.

more interface screw for insanity would be neat. stuff like showing different numbers for stats than what they actually are, given that the images are assumedly an estimate to go off of.

or, y'know, if you haven't slept enough, maybe have hunger drain go up, since staying up all night for a few nights in a row tends to have side effects.

Maybe somethink like this:

When a character has 15% sanity points or less, he is attacked by shadow creatures. The character then draws one of three sets of opponents (each set has an equal chance of being drawn):

• The character is attacked by two crawling horrors and one terrorbeak
  • The character is attacked by about 10 small hallucinations. They have 50 health points and are faster than characters (Just like Rabid Beetle from DSH). Each hallucination has a 50% chance of leaving Nightmare Fuel
  • The character is attacked by one large hallucination with 1200 health points. It attacks directly and teleports after each attack to avoid damage from the character. The shadow creature has a large attack range and leaves 4 Nightmare Fuel after death.

If the crazy character is on the boat, Swimming Horror appears. It doesn't attack the boat, it only spits towards the crazy player, dealing minor damage. This hallucination occasionally comes to the boat. Every crazy character is stunned every 6 minutes (similar to the Ancient Fuelweaver attack).

I would like it personally if each character had a unique reaction whenever they went completely insane. Not only would it help with balancing if an OP character had a harder insanity reaction (Wolfgang). But it would also spice up gameplay as well. For instance, since Webber is inside of a spider, whenever he goes insane, he would start to drain hunger much, much faster due to the acid levels rising in the spider because of the nightmare fuel in Webber's mind (just a threw together explaination). Wickerbottom could have seizures or pass out when her sanity gets too low or when she attempts to read her book while insane. Wolfgang could do less damage based on how much sanity he's missing because he would start to become nervous and shake instead of throwing full force into his attacks. Making Wolfgang's high damage still obtainable, but harder to maintain without proper gear such as a bee queen crown or sanity items. These are imperfect examples, but I hope it gets the point across. Insanity doesn't only have to be centered around what the player sees. It could also have an effect on the performance of the character as well. AND it can be unique for each character.

9 hours ago, Cpt. KatKit said:

Please no more annoying vision stuff. The current one is already sickening enough to many people. 

honestly, yeah. hence why i suggested insanity screwing with your stats in a minor way instead of the screen warping / bloom effects.

9 hours ago, Cpt. KatKit said:

Please no more annoying vision stuff. The current one is already sickening enough to many people. 

19 minutes ago, Voidbarker said:

honestly, yeah. hence why i suggested insanity screwing with your stats in a minor way instead of the screen warping / bloom effects.

Just letting you know guys, as a Woodie main who has to deal with dark screens and screen distortion due to being a beaver half the time. I have come to use this mod right here ->https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1231473531&searchtext=insanity+vision. I would post the author's steamname here, but it's not letting me copy paste so I'll just ask you to look for it by the "created by" section in the steam workshop. Also this mod gets rid of the darkening of the screen caused by insanity. It helps whenever you are playing beaver because the beaver's filter and the insanity filter stacks, also it's a client mod so you can use it on any server. Also you can get rid of distortion and the wobbly effects in the settings of don't starve itself (not the mod). I hope this helps.

What if there's a shadow creature that steals resources and items from you, like items on the ground or harvest-able stuff. Runs faster than the player so they'll require to use stuff to increase their movement speed or range weapons to get your stuff back.

A shadow creature which buffs other shadows or maybe even enemies? 

Arms they'll grab you and keep you in place so enemies can catch up to you and deal damage, sounds pretty spooky to accidentally run into these with a boss behind you.

A low sanity effect that'll make the player see things that aren't there, or even swap the model of a object, creature and players to trick you. 

1 hour ago, Vak said:

I will see how you will handle Bee Queen, some giant, and shadows at the same time :D (4 terrorbreaks is my record, can't fight off normally)

Theres a difference between fighting like 3  s at same time and a just 1 fight.

38 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Theres a difference between fighting like 3  s at same time and a just 1 fight.

That is the thing, shadows are easy themselves, but a lot of terrorbreaks when fighting already some tough enemy is super annoying for me

1 hour ago, Vak said:

That is the thing, shadows are easy themselves, but a lot of terrorbreaks when fighting already some tough enemy is super annoying for me

Well thats the thing; you need to wear bee queen crown if you dont wanna end up insane

On 8/28/2019 at 7:25 PM, ButterStuffed said:

I would like after day 100 to spawn a shadow mini boss like lvl shadow chess pieces, that are undodgeable without great speed

They will only appear if you stay half a day at under 10 sanity OR if you hit 0 sanity

Boss when killed respawns after 7 days per player

He does 2-4 nfuel

He appears by combining two shadow creatures

This mechanic is excluded when using bonehelm or night amulet

This will make old players and wickers especially have to really fear it and prepare, and be cautious

Sanity items will be used now

Low rewards for the risk

On 8/30/2019 at 12:25 PM, WoodieMain45684 said:

Wickerbottom could have seizures or pass out when her sanity gets too low or when she attempts to read her book while insane.

Book gives off a burst of NMF effects instead of activating and flies out of her hands, attacking as if possessed by shadows. Drops unchanged book when 'killed'.

That's the kind of stuff I'd enjoy.

Archived