What am I doing wrong with the ore scrubber?

7 minutes ago, minespatch said:

So it turns out you have to put gas into the ore scrubber. I never understood this in two years. What do I need to put into it? Chlorine?

What you're doing wrong is using one... :)

OK, so. The ore scrubber uses piped chlorine gas.  It can be used to remove chlorine from the map, as each use destroys some chlorine.  Technically its supposed to remove germs -- and it does -- but the amount of germs removed is minimal compared to the amount on your materials.  For example, if you are mining out a slime biome, the ore scrubber will not only fail to remove all the slimelung from algae and clay, but in the case of slime it'll just repopulate.

At this point, the ore scrubber _is_ functional, but somewhat pointless.

To add onto what the fellow above said, most people use a chlorine room for things that can get slimelunged like slime (obviously) and algae. Slime will offgas polluted oxygen if kept in an atmosphere below 1800kg. You can use either a liquid lock (cheesy), viscogel if you're late game, or a sealed room with automation to shuffle stuff in and out

Just now, minespatch said:

It's become a habit for me to build one without understanding the purpose so I should probably not build one at all.

I'm a firm believer in building things without understanding their purpose.  Or deliberately mis-understanding their purpose.  A "mechanical airlock" is not a door ... its high-pressure gas pump!

By all means, keep building stuff and using in crazy ways!

7 minutes ago, minespatch said:

It's become a habit for me to build one without understanding the purpose

Let curiosity rules. Have you tried using it to decontaminate bottled PW? Have you tried to make dupes carry slime in circular to fully clean it?

When you did:

Spoiler

you will come into conclusion that it is useless or at least not worth it

1 minute ago, abud said:

Have you tried using it to decontaminate bottled PW? Have you tried to make dupes carry slime in circular to fully clean it?

I wasn't really sure in the first place. I built it, attatched pipes and a vent and assumed that something was supposed to happen. Didn't realize I had to put something in for something to work.:wilson_dorky:

1 minute ago, minespatch said:

I wasn't really sure in the first place. I built it, attatched pipes and a vent and assumed that something was supposed to happen. Didn't realize I had to put something in for something to work.:wilson_dorky:

Yeah, the ore scrubber is somewhat like the sink.  When a dupe is carrying something that has germs on it (germs on the dupe's hands don't count), they'll stop at the ore scrubber, toss the items in, turn the crank, then pull it out and walk on.   Unless they're carrying slime.  In which case they'll break for lunch mid-crank and the slime will fall out onto the floor and start off-gassing slimelung infected PO2 next to the scrubber.

36 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

When a dupe is carrying something that has germs on it (germs on the dupe's hands don't count), they'll stop at the ore scrubber, toss the items in, turn the crank, then pull it out and walk on.

Which might still include incapacitated dupes.

2 hours ago, Kermack said:

We need to make a list of useless items.

Ore scrubber, gas and air filters.

I'm guessing you mean gas and liquid filters, but how are they useless? I recognize that there are other sorting methods, but unlike the ore scrubber the filters do their job properly. I rarely use them, but in situations that I don't have the time, will, or space to set up mechanical filters and I can't count on the reliability of the shutoff+sensor combo I will. They do at least have a 0% fail rate.

It's far easier to dump slime into a small room filled with chlorine that's only accessed from the top. Slimelung dies in no time. Such a room also cleans germy water in tanks (but not in pipes or sensors!)

The issue though is with keeping clean and dirty slime apart. We really need to be able to set storage bins to be input only (for dupes). Then you could manually put in clean slime and only autosweepers could take it out

11 hours ago, Kermack said:

We need to make a list of useless items.

Ore scrubber, gas and air filters.

Gas and liquid filters have their place.  They are easy (one building vs several plus automation), and they are reliable (If a gas backs up, you don't get the wrong element down the wrong pipe).  They are also relatively small.  So the only reason to build your own (either passive with bridges and flow valves or element sensors and stop valves) is to conserve power.

I'm not saying you can't design your own to also be reliable, but you're going to need a lot of pieces and space to do it.

In addition to space, mechanical filters almost always depend on automation, and automation requires refined metal. That's a non-issue once you've dug down to the oil biome and gotten lead, or set up a metal refinery with a truly renewable heat sink, but early in the game refined metal is limited.

Also worth noting is that gas / liquid filters don't use energy if the gas or liquid isn't flowing. For many applications, the energy cost is momentary and unimportant, like the energy cost for powered doors.

Personally, I don't bother with mechanical filters for types. I set them up for filtration by temperature and similar setups where there is no standard solution.

Archived