I guess I don't understand priorities?

How does tidy "5" get ahead of tidy "9"... note that this is a snap shot but priority 5,6,7 tasks of tidy keeping jumping ahead of the bottle task 9 over and over so the 9 never makes it to the top of the tidy dups tasks....

image.thumb.png.87671ec486c2731d3a4d2e99ed2e1db6.png

Just now, greggbert said:

Loading a bottle into an emptier uses the priority of the emptier if that helps...

emptier is the one set to 9

2 minutes ago, Mehbark said:

The only thing I can think of is "Enable Proximity" prioritizing the priority 5 errand because it's closer.

I turned off proximity and no change...good idea though

As far as I remember, sweep errands never shown correctly in errand window. This is simple demonstration, when I sweep and increase priority of tidy to high, all of them starting sweeping instead of digging. But in errand window there is no high priority, where sweep should be there. "Store dirt" errand that shown as very low priority is from Storing instead of Tidy. I believe this is bug with errand window handling sweeping errand.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.410f765cd301e2147635643bc7ab01bf.png

What if, I increase digging to very high. What errand window will show us? Store dirt vanished, probably going into "2 more" that hidden. Still no high priority sweeping errand shown.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.b81369b0bb3f3eb43d089b0d9e1655be.png

What I expect is there is high priority tidy errand in errand window, labeled with "Sweep Dirt" with priority 2.

2 hours ago, chemie said:

How does tidy "5" get ahead of tidy "9"... note that this is a snap shot but priority 5,6,7 tasks of tidy keeping jumping ahead of the bottle task 9 over and over so the 9 never makes it to the top of the tidy dups tasks....

The 'store igneous' was ahead of the store water because the bottle emptier was likely emptying another bottle.  This means that "store water' would not be an available task.  Thus your dupe picks up some rocks... and now the bottle emptier is .. um.. empty.  So your dupe will finish taking the rock where it goes before starting on the bottle emptier task.

As abud wrote there is definitely some bug how "Sweep" is displayed in todo list.
Combining that bug with what KittenIsAGeek wrote about occupied bottle emptier can be confusing.

There are 3 kind of similar priorities: "Tidying", "Supplying" and "Storing" (internally called Basekeeping, Hauling and Storage)

And some errands are affected by just one priority but some use two priorities.
"Sweep" is currently affected by both "Tidying" and "Supplying" priority but "To Do" list seems confused and believes it is affected by "Storage" priority. (no idea which priorities should be correct for sweep, maybe 3rd option "Tidying" + "Storing")

Only "Tidying" errands are:
"Mop", "Disinfect", "Repair", "CleanToilet", "EmptyDesalinator"

"Tidying" + "Supplying" are:
"EmptyStorage", "RepairFetch", "Sweep" (Transport)

Here I disabled "Storing" completely and Max is still going to sweep that copper ore before priority 9 dig even it is displayed in todo list as "Disallowed" Storing task and the reason is that "Supplying" priority is set to very high. (but it is not displayed as reason anywhere)

sweep_bug.png

54 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

The 'store igneous' was ahead of the store water because the bottle emptier was likely emptying another bottle.  This means that "store water' would not be an available task.  Thus your dupe picks up some rocks... and now the bottle emptier is .. um.. empty.  So your dupe will finish taking the rock where it goes before starting on the bottle emptier task.

Nope.  The bottle emptier had nothing; and never did without yellow alert, which is why I started to investigate

5 hours ago, ONIfreak said:

I think sroting has different priority set. Store to container or something. So thi 5 which is ahead of tidying could be because storing has higher priority in pr. Tab than tidying. 

Sweep is using "Tidying" + "Supplying" priorities but displays it incorrectly in ToDo list as Storing with wrong priority tooltip.

I checked that in code and also tested in game.
I didn't make new bug report because there is already at least one:

8 hours ago, Baelas said:

There is another important question to answer. Do you have any bottles to empty? If not, do you have the emptier set to include bottle-filling tasks?

Yes, bottles on floor and a pump in water and accessible.  Yellow alert does work but otherwise it never gets assigned.

20 minutes ago, bzgzd said:

Sweep is using "Tidying" + "Supplying" priorities but displays it incorrectly in ToDo list as Storing with wrong priority tooltip.

I checked that in code and also tested in game.
I didn't make new bug report because there is already at least one:

So is the solution to have "high" priority set for both for a dup?  (ie your tidy dup needs to also have supply as equally set high)

1 hour ago, chemie said:

So is the solution to have "high" priority set for both for a dup?  (ie your tidy dup needs to also have supply as equally set high)

I noticed something similar with the apothecary.  Dupe needed both care and operate high priority (I think this got fixed just prior to launch).  My new solution, in light of the achievement to have 20 dupes, is to leave everything at the default priority.  With so many idle dupes just jonesing for work, everything gets done pretty quickly  :p

I grant you it isn't the most elegant or efficient solution, but I got tired of dealing with the micromanagement and unanticipated consequences of prioritizing tasks.

EDIT: Oh - and a fringe benefit of this approach is that dupes tend to do what they are good at or have hearts in anyway (I'm not sure which, because I specialized them in the beginning, so they tend to be good at what they like).  This must be part of a hidden priority algorithm.  

1 hour ago, chemie said:

I am not sure what exactly you need to solve but if you want dupe to do Auto-bottle before any Sweep try to set his "Tidying" and "Supplying" to the same value as "Storing".
Then your bottle emptier priority (9) should mean that water delivery job will be higher then sweep jobs.

If you don't have Tidying or Supplying higher then Storing then I don't know... :confused:

Auto-Bottle belongs to group "Storing".
Sweep job belongs to both groups "Tidying" and "Supplying" and somehow also to "Storing".

1 hour ago, bzgzd said:

I am not sure what exactly you need to solve but if you want dupe to do Auto-bottle before any Sweep try to set his "Tidying" and "Supplying" to the same value as "Storing".
Then your bottle emptier priority (9) should mean that water delivery job will be higher then sweep jobs.

If you don't have Tidying or Supplying higher then Storing then I don't know... :confused:

Auto-Bottle belongs to group "Storing".
Sweep job belongs to both groups "Tidying" and "Supplying" and somehow also to "Storing".

What I need is bottles delivered.  I have dups with highest priority on tidy and others dups with only supply at highest.  I think storage is something set one arrow up for both the tidy dups and supply dups. 

I figure either the tidy Dup or supply Dup should do a 9 task first.

I set bottle emptier to 9 and still had zero dups sign up.  It seems like I need dual priority set for some tasks?

I don't see why they couldn't just eliminate the supply category entirely.  Everything could fall under it's primary classification and I think it would make things a lot more intuitive.  For example, supply to farm tiles could just be classified as farming, or supply of building materials just get classified as build.  

But I don't want my farmers to have to do that, nor my cook to supply their kitchen, etc.  Their time is valuable.  I have unskilled laborers to do the unskilled labor.  MOSTLY the current system works okay, with a couple of weird edge cases like this one and an unintuitive interface.  It'd be nice if the priority overlay would also indicate the type of task.  Maybe by coloring the background of task-tiles, a la the material screen?

The problem I run into with the bottle emptiers is the 200 kg limit per run.  I agree with someone above, that's probably what you're seeing.  They'll move a small fraction of the full volume, then run off on some other task, leaving it looking like nothing much is happening.

On the topic of strange priorities, I've also had to fight for polluted dirt.  PD -> compost is a farming task, apparently, so even though my compost pile had a very low priority and my pokeshell feeder high, a farmer would swing by and compost the pd before supply dupes could get around to it.

I agree with @Lurve, especially mid-game forward with most of the deliveries handled by sweeper. Sometimes chef still taking meat when critter in stable dies to the grill. Distance from stable to kitchen pretty far, even with tubes around. "Chef, leave it to sweeper. Just cook please"

5 hours ago, chemie said:

What I need is bottles delivered.  I have dups with highest priority on tidy and others dups with only supply at highest.  I think storage is something set one arrow up for both the tidy dups and supply dups. 

I figure either the tidy Dup or supply Dup should do a 9 task first.

I set bottle emptier to 9 and still had zero dups sign up.  It seems like I need dual priority set for some tasks?

As I wrote delivering bottles is not Tidying and also not Supplying. It belongs to Storing.
And because sweep is in both categories your dupes will sweep.

6 hours ago, bzgzd said:

if you want dupe to do Auto-bottle before any Sweep try to set his "Tidying" and "Supplying" to the same value as "Storing".

1 hour ago, bzgzd said:

As I wrote delivering bottles is not Tidying and also not Supplying. It belongs to Storing.
And because sweep is in both categories your dupes will sweep.

Storing does not deserve to exist.  Tidy and supply would seem to cover anything that needs to fall under those.  They create more confusion than benefit.  Thanks.

Archived