Can you delete heat this way?

Most state change processed could delete heat. Just calculate the thermal capacity of inputs and outputs. So, if inputs have the same temperature as outputs and thermal capacity of inputs higher then outputs you are deleting heat.

13 minutes ago, Segato said:

@bobucles But how do you deal with the heat generated by the Steam Turbine (It stop if it reach 100C) and also the heat slowly transfered trought the insulate tile?

You have to cool the steam turbine itself.   If it is only running relatively "light duty" the 95 output water from the turbine, snaked via radiant pipe around the turbine before being returned to the steam room, can be adequate.  If the turbine is being run pretty hard, you'll need additional external cooling.  Wheezeworts, AETNs can work.   Liquid coolant is obviously stronger.   An aquatuner in a steam chamber below a turbine is barely taxed if utilized to cool a single turbine even if the turbine is running flat out.   

2 hours ago, greggbert said:

Can you delete heat by sinking an aqua-tuner in petroleum then using it in generator?

absolutely.  joining the chorus.   a good way to do it is to use the crude oil for initial cooling and it self translates to petroleum.  then use the petroleum for additional heat and then burn it before it vaporizes.

10 minutes ago, Segato said:

@bobucles But how do you deal with the heat generated by the Steam Turbine (It stop if it reach 100C) and also the heat slowly transfered trought the insulate tile?

5 minutes ago, Qubit said:

You have to cool the steam turbine itself.   If it is only running relatively "light duty" the 95 output water from the turbine, snaked via radiant pipe around the turbine before be returned to the steam room, can be adequate.  If the turbine is being run pretty hard, you'll need additional external cooling.  Wheezeworts, AETNs can work.   Liquid coolant is obviously stronger.   An aquatuner in a steam chamber below a turbine is barely taxed if utilized to cool a single turbine even if the turbine is running flat out.   

Exactly.  i messed up a turbine install last night, ended up snaking the input to the Aquatuner up and around to get that all important radiant links in there.  i tend to have 3 sections because, well thats what i first did.  no idea if just one or two would be enough.

14 minutes ago, Segato said:

@Dave @DaveSatx Then you ended using the Aquatener to cool the Steam Turbine which purpose was to cool the Aquatuner?

:confused:

Generally speaking (I'm not sure if this would hold true if you were feeding in steam hotter than what the ST, with its open inlets, could handle), the turbine deletes far more heat than it generates.   So, yes, using a ST to cool an AT that is also cooling the ST is completely viable.   Basically you're giving up a smidge of your AT's work product to keep the ST happy.  But unless it's charged with cooling a bunch of turbines, an AT is still going to have a lot of spare heat pumping capacity to do other useful work.

42 minutes ago, Segato said:

@Dave @DaveSatx Then you ended using the Aquatener to cool the Steam Turbine which purpose was to cool the Aquatuner?

:confused:

That'd be like using the power from your Hemi V-8 to power the radiator and water pump that cools your Hemi V-8...i.e. the way actual vehicles in the real world have worked for a century.  This is perhaps the most realistic feature in ONI's design.

1 hour ago, Trego said:

That'd be like using the power from your Hemi V-8 to power the radiator and water pump that cools your Hemi V-8...i.e. the way actual vehicles in the real world have worked for a century.  This is perhaps the most realistic feature in ONI's design.

Great point.

1 hour ago, DaveSatx said:

absolutely.  joining the chorus.   a good way to do it is to use the crude oil for initial cooling and it self translates to petroleum.  then use the petroleum for additional heat and then burn it before it vaporizes.

Exactly.  i messed up a turbine install last night, ended up snaking the input to the Aquatuner up and around to get that all important radiant links in there.  i tend to have 3 sections because, well thats what i first did.  no idea if just one or two would be enough.

What happens when the oil changes to petrol? Does it break any pipes?

2 hours ago, Segato said:

The turbine absorbs 10% of the heat into itself, and the rest gets deleted. It's a pretty small problem and the aquatuner under the turbine can take care of it. 

6 minutes ago, Majorchubby said:

Pipes break, even though it's liquid=>liquid. Any sort of phase or material change will break pipes. There is a "feature" that pipes at 10% capacity don't break, so valves can protect a system that is pushing extreme temperatures.

Wheezeworts, AETNs and steam turbines are the only devices that actively delete heat from the game. Other systems can be used to regulate temperature regardless. For example any machine or critter that eats a material. It doesn't matter how hot the material is, it disappears and the heat vanishes with it. Critters spawn at nice body temperatures that can slowly change the environment, and dupe piss always adds 37C into the bathroom. Arbor trees create a huge amount of heat absorbing material at pretty good temperatures. Steam turbines are by no means the only option, but they do scale very well.

2 hours ago, Majorchubby said:

Yes.  which is why I do that part in a bath of crude oil cooling an Aquatuner.  the petroleum floats up and i filter it off.

But to the original question?  Does the temperature of the incoming petroleum (if the pipes are insulated) really increase the heat of the generator?  By How much?  I thought it put out +20kDTU/s  no matter what temperature the petroleum is going in (as long as the pipes are insulated).  Can anyone confirm?

Archived