Increase difficulty

This game is very difficult and slow if you try to use all the tech an try to achieve sustainability, but in the survival aspect is too easy. It is practically impossible to die.

The mod "chemical burns" adds some of this, but I can find mods that increase death, only QOL.

Are there mods (that I'm missing) that make critters agressive, diseases more agressive, temperature damage?

Are you playing on a draconian, ravenous, outbreak prone, frankly depressing world? (disease, morale, hunger, stress) as these are non-mod settings.

As a side note what are the worst case scenario for each disease in the game now on release? Can any disease actually kill you now?

39 minutes ago, xkzt0 said:

I already play with the hardest difficulties. I like to play in Volcanea with volcanos and lava channels to make heat a big issue.

I solve the difficulty issue by taking more duplicants than I can handle and try to keep them all alive.

7 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

Morale part doesn't work, nor has it ever worked since implemented this time last year.

morale works but is meaningless since you control promotions.  This makes stress meaningless.  Disease can be ignored.

So the only difficulty setting that has an impact is hunger

19 minutes ago, chemie said:

morale works but is meaningless since you control promotions. 

It wasn't my point, and thanks I know how morale works. My point was that morale slider in custom game settings never translated to anything in game.

Just now, nakomaru said:

You've solved morale by managing promotions, building amenities and so on. That seems like it's doing its job to me. If it were meaningless you wouldn't  be doing those things.

except most promotions are nice to have.  you need a lvl 1 for things like dig, art, doctor, rancher but you can mostly ignore it until you need an astronaut.  By ignore, I mean I promote them to enable the unlocks but even on hardest setting, there is never a stress impact.  I do agree I am putting in things like great hall and showers but you get +6 morale just for giving a skill point on something a dup has interest in.  It is easy to get to 20 morale with nearly zero effort

How do you get +6 morale with one skill point?

It's easy for you to meet your morale needs, but like, experienced players should have established methods for meeting their morale needs. If you upgrade too much or slack on benefits you will fall behind. From the beginning to the end game you are probably tuning your selection with what you have made available.

I'm having trouble imagining what a better system looks like.

I think it is fine as it is. You can do only so many survival challenges in a simulation. Eventually, you have sustainability and then a different game phase starts. There are people that only play until sustainability (I did that quite often), which is fine too. This game does not really have a strict goal, except to entertain. And that it does well.

4 hours ago, xkzt0 said:

tvery difficult

- blind map, do not use debug mode to peek geysers and  map features.
- adjust auto save to no auto save file. manual save only.
- one use time map seed only, do not use same seed again if you fail your colony already (because you already know map features). get another map seeds.

-and disable care package of course!

i hope this add you a slightly pressure. i use this rules nowadays, giving me devilish nightmare.

4 minutes ago, NoQuitting said:

This is really depressing, is there any diseases that can actually kill you or can have such a negative effect that you die anyway?

I'm not as wise as the others in this thread, but slimelung can have enough of a negative effect if your dupes spend a large amount of time in low oxygen environment, and zombie spores sounds particularly nasty imo.

Zombie spores sounds scary, on paper, the problem is that your dupes can't enter the oil biome without suits, so getting infected is rather difficult. You'd have to do something crazy like have an open pool of crude oil pumped up into your base

4 hours ago, xkzt0 said:

This game is very difficult and slow if you try to use all the tech an try to achieve sustainability, but in the survival aspect is too easy. It is practically impossible to die.

The mod "chemical burns" adds some of this, but I can find mods that increase death, only QOL.

Are there mods (that I'm missing) that make critters agressive, diseases more agressive, temperature damage?

I made a custom map, Vesuvia, that's just Volcanea without abyssalite or granite.  I also switched the starter biome to forest because I like it better.

https://github.com/facepalm/oni-extreme-worlds

It's surprisingly survivable if you hustle.  If you don't, you'll fry.

Spoiler

5d48b6ea90941_Beattheheat.thumb.png.2f19ed3a302cca2ae7b94e5c8411cd7a.png

13 hours ago, NoQuitting said:

This is really depressing, is there any diseases that can actually kill you or can have such a negative effect that you die anyway?

The only effect I have seen is a change to the dup animations 

3 hours ago, chemie said:

The only effect I have seen is a change to the dup animations 

It adds debuffs and wasting time animations.

Food poisoning is basically diarrhea. Faster bladder change and longer toilet stops. Also dupes occasinally stop to lean left and right.

Slimelung reduces runspeed and causes dupes to lose breath and occasionally cough.

Zombie spores is basically -10 to all stats and a weird look on their face.

Imo food poisoning should have the same effects but stronger. Dupes should spend half the cycle on the toilet wasting tons of time and filling your outhouses like crazy. It`s an early game disease after all.

Slimelung should increase oxygen usage, since dupes need to catch breath a lot. Basically make them mouth breathers. It will screw up the oxygen production calculations and might be a problem in the early-mid game. Also increase the runspeed debuff so it`s more of a problem.

Zombie spores are supposed to be a latgame threat. Outside the fact it`s impossible to get infected a stat debuff isn`t really scary for the colony. This disease should increase stress as well and maybe cause insomnia so dupes fall asleep exhausted. Late game when dupes have a lot of morale requirements a stress increase would be problematic to deal with but possible. Mad dupes running around breaking stuff also fits the zombie theme.

Yeah, I agree that the game kinda fell through with difficulty for me. I bought into the game early, then took a break a little after outbreak update and then came back in a few months before releease. The game started out feeling like a survival/exploration on a new world. The while into text screen "we've landed on a hostile new world... Blah blah  added to that gameplay feel. Hatches used to be wild and attack if you irritated them and there was a sense of the unknown. 

When outbreak came out it added a new variety of difficulty where your dupes could die through careless exploration through disease and contamination. This felt  like a challenging step in the right direction although it was hard at times. It made me relctant to explore, and I would have to calculate the risk of where and when to get my first thimlereed seed to start making exosuits. At that time I had fear and respect for the critters and environment. I actually though my dupe would melt (even in an exosuit) if they fell in lava and it freaked me out. I was looking forward to the new challenges wild critters, environmental hazzards klei would throw my way. At release however, all of that hostile exploration feels retracted. At release it's thermodynamics sim 1000. My dupes can Sprint through caustic biomes, walk through lava, and stand under rocket launches. They may get heatstroke or scald if Im VERY neglectful. Ilnesses cause (very) minor inconvience and can literally be fixed just by putting a two sinks at the enterance to you outhouse by day 2. "wild" critters cuddle with my dupes as they are tearing the critter's habitats to shreds. (Turns out they weren't feral after hiall, they were misunderstood and just needed a hug.) 

My disappointment is where the final product ended up. The very challege I faced years ago (heat) is realistically the same and only one I face now. Granted there's different tech now and slightly different starts, but most of the upgrades we got along the way were retracted. I know some people say the game was always supposed to be a building/heat/waste management  game, but I don't agree. I felt like the game was moving towards adventure and exploration of the unknown.

I look at it like I do don't starve(DS) That's not an building/action/battle game, but those elements were part of the final game. It has a  huge variety of those real unexpected threats you had to overcome to survive. To compare ONI gameplay-wise would be like in DS if literally all you had to do was eat. Food is rare though and rots so git movin! No animals would attack you b/c that's not part of starving. Gotta get rid of sanity; that has nothing to do with starving. Poison food yeah. That's works... But make it only take off 1 life and make wilson make a sad face every 10 seconds.

So many tweaks could have happened to up the discovery/exploration feel. It's a space game right? Animals that posed a threat would have been nice. Why do we see all tech available from the start? Tech unlocked through exploration/discovering and harvesting critters/new elements would have been nice. Wouldn't it be cool if an endgame (discovered) tech would be that perfect airlock made from that liquid that allows materials to pass though? Yes. Yes it would. We've been asking for that forever. Would it be cool to have quirky tech to make faux-crab costume from their molts, so you can harvest crab eggs without harrassment? I think so. 

I like the game; I'm just disipointed it didn't go where I thought it was going from the alpha build. Klei is a great company and this is a great game. I just there was more to the base mechanics.

2 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

It adds debuffs and wasting time animations.

Food poisoning is basically diarrhea. Faster bladder change and longer toilet stops. Also dupes occasinally stop to lean left and right.

Slimelung reduces runspeed and causes dupes to lose breath and occasionally cough.

Zombie spores is basically -10 to all stats and a weird look on their face.

Imo food poisoning should have the same effects but stronger. Dupes should spend half the cycle on the toilet wasting tons of time and filling your outhouses like crazy. It`s an early game disease after all.

Slimelung should increase oxygen usage, since dupes need to catch breath a lot. Basically make them mouth breathers. It will screw up the oxygen production calculations and might be a problem in the early-mid game. Also increase the runspeed debuff so it`s more of a problem.

Zombie spores are supposed to be a latgame threat. Outside the fact it`s impossible to get infected a stat debuff isn`t really scary for the colony. This disease should increase stress as well and maybe cause insomnia so dupes fall asleep exhausted. Late game when dupes have a lot of morale requirements a stress increase would be problematic to deal with but possible. Mad dupes running around breaking stuff also fits the zombie theme.

I agree on food poisoning and slimelung but zombie just seems a waste because you will be in suits when you find it and there is no reason to just not compost immediately so how would a dup even get exposed?  It brings no benefit so a larger negative just makes you ignore it more..

Archived