Alternatives to batteries for solar pannels

Hello.

I was wondering - has anyone tried using any alternative power storage methods other then batteries for solar panels? Batteries loose power over time and perhaps there are better alternatives.

One could for example use the excess power during the day to heat up steam and use that heat in a turbine during the night.

You could also use the power to produce hydrogen or natural gas but those two use up other resources.

**** EDIT ****

I have created a steam battery. It heats up the super coolant when there is excess power in the system. The super coolant heats up steam to 210C. Steam turbines are turned on when the power grid drops below 10%.

image.thumb.png.2844698ffb15fce6be44051472ac475f.png

I was using such setup in my last colony:

099938056E434C43A07833CB98BF350616467B66

During day aquatuners were powered by solar panels and were heating up super coolant. At night or during meteor shower steam turbines were producing power using the stored heat.

Due to bad space plannig I couldn't fit more turbines there, but next time I will do it better :)

My prefered solution requires 2 things:

• An electrolyzer setup
  • A central(ized) power grid.

When the solar panels are active, I store the hydrogen I would normally use.

=> I can use a gas reservoir filled with hydrogen like a runoff free battery.

[I never considered an auquatuner and steam turbine to store power, sure it´s very space efficient, but when my goal is to store power it´s mostly about preventing the runoff of a big battery based power bank.]

1 hour ago, Angpaur said:

I was using such setup in my last colony:

099938056E434C43A07833CB98BF350616467B66

During day aquatuners were powered by solar panels and were heating up super coolant. At night or during meteor shower steam turbines were producing power using the stored heat.

Due to bad space plannig I couldn't fit more turbines there, but next time I will do it better :)

Looks like a few dupes have died in the process ;]

I have decent Natural Gas income, so any 'free' power put into the system from solar or steam results in gas being stored in my fart sphere:

qfDxlf9.jpg

I'm planning to do something similar to hydrogen once I get enough renewables going and it starts backing up too.

I was thinking about turning that excess power into heat. Aquatuner would probably be the best tool to do that but maybe there is a better way..

Has anyone ever seen / created any kind of a table of what method of converting energy to heat is the most efficient?

52 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Here's the table

1. Tepidizer

IC what you did there.

The tepidizer generates so much heat that it will be energy positive with a steam turbine. However it has to be exploited, because the tepidizer normally shuts off before 100C. Automation can rapidfire toggle the tepidizer to force above 100C, unless that trick was fixed.

The metal refinery generates a huge amount of heat, don't trust those """""16kDTUs""""" for a second. Only the hotter recipes are energy positive, and you also need high skilled duplicants to process the recipes quickly.

The aquatuner always loses energy. A supercoolant loop loses the least energy, being shy of 100%. Water is somewhere around 50% efficient. It's all downhill from there.

2 minutes ago, DarkMaster13 said:

Shouldn't an array of solar panels give enough power that you can just ignore the wastage from batteries?

Perhaps but it's fun to experiment :)

31 minutes ago, bobucles said:

IC what you did there.

The tepidizer generates so much heat that it will be energy positive with a steam turbine. However it has to be exploited, because the tepidizer normally shuts off before 100C. Automation can rapidfire toggle the tepidizer to force above 100C, unless that trick was fixed.

The metal refinery generates a huge amount of heat, don't trust those """""16kDTUs""""" for a second. Only the hotter recipes are energy positive, and you also need high skilled duplicants to process the recipes quickly.

The aquatuner always loses energy. A supercoolant loop loses the least energy, being shy of 100%. Water is somewhere around 50% efficient. It's all downhill from there.

Solar Panel --energy--> Aquatuner + supercoolant --heat stored in steam--> steam turbine (at night)

this does not have be energy neutral - all I need is to store the energy. The question here is - is this more efficient then using batteries (plus I get some nice cooling as a bonus)

3 minutes ago, Sturm58 said:

Solar Panel --energy--> Aquatuner + supercoolant --heat stored in steam--> steam turbine (at night)

Missing one important thing: a heat generator.

Eventually that supercoolant is going to be 3K and you will have no more heat.

20 minutes ago, DarkMaster13 said:

Shouldn't an array of solar panels give enough power that you can just ignore the wastage from batteries?

Pretty much. A regular battery consumes less than 2 watts, a large battery less than 4W, and a smart battery less than 1W. The real upkeep expense comes from the small but steady heat output, but a single hydrogen wort can keep plenty of batteries happy.

22 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Missing one important thing: a heat generator.

Eventually that supercoolant is going to be 3K and you will have no more heat.

no no it's the other way round. aquatuner would heat up water / steam that would be used in steam turbine.

Supercoolant would be cooled down in pipes

Just now, Sturm58 said:

no no it's the other way round. aquatuner would heat up water / steam that would be used in steam turbine.

Supercoolant would be cooled down in pipes

No, trust me. The aquatuner generates 0W of heat.

It will move the heat from the supercoolant to the steam room. The turbine will destroy that heat. The supercoolant will have no more heat.

What you need is a heat generator. See the table above.

I like how you guys are trying to build a peakpump station without a paddle wheel.

Can Klei just make us a turbine-like building for hydrogeneration? If it created 240 watts per 10kg of water going through it we would have a lossless system, slightly less than 240w and heat generation would be up there in the balancing sphere.

As for the tepidizer weirdness and such, if you're bothered by its brokenness you can always just cool a volcano or geyser or something, cooler materials and power storage.

Aquatuners need electricity, but also need something to cool.

Tepidizer would be better, but it needs to be exploited to work in order to store heat usable by steam turbines.

I didn't wanted to use that exploit so I used aquatuners to generate heat. I could transfer heat from rockets directly, but the idea was to turn electricity into heat, even though it is not very efficient, but at least easy to manage with aquatuners.

Yeah, just skip the middle man and pipe petroleum coolant from your rockets/regolith to your turbine. Then we are solving a different problem but at least doing it well. If you want to use electricity you can always put some ceiling lights in there. :)

10 minutes ago, Angpaur said:

I used aquatuners to generate heat. 

Aquatuners literally do not generate heat. They are 100% heat neutral machines, every ounce of hot they absorb is removed directly from the liquid pipe. They are still a great way to transform energy into storage, because the cold resource is always useful.

In the case of the rocket, all the heat can be pumped directly into a turbine system without the aquatuner. The aquatuner adds nothing to the system. In general, if you are trying to cool anything above 100C with an aquatuner it's pretty much wasting time. Use the turbine.

Archived