Never overpressurize, auto sorting Electrolyzer

This is something I have seen a few people use but personally never tried and there are some quirks to keep in mind with it:

OxygenNotIncluded_xYjxPE8qjX.thumb.jpg.de6b75956dd648d975c5bd454ee7b3c6.jpg

Using two liquids on top of the electrolyzer, you can not only prevent it from overpressurizing but also have the oxygen and hydrogen get sorted.

Amount of liquids does not matter provided electrolyzers are not flooded - 2nd layer can have less (in this case) ethanol  but I prefer how this looks.

I went for like 30-50kg of petroleum per tile and 5-10kg of Ethanol. You can deselect the setting in the bottle emptier to get it to drop the remaining content as a bottle. 

You don't even need to cool this down since the fixed output temperature of the electrolyzers is enough to stabilize the temperature. I am using steel here since I am playing on Arboria and thus do not have access to gold. 

Hot oxygen goes to exosuits, oxygen for the base can be cooled via aquatuner etc..

Step by step tutorial; screenshots of my stream so with face cam... 

1.) Create vacuum in area:

image.thumb.png.0cdd092ee786faa6c41c9b03901ec437.png

2.) Build layout for electrolyzers - can probably be more compact: 

image.thumb.png.aac8dc746c6cfbbbc4ab59bc55d3e893.png

3.) Get your liquids stacked up:

image.thumb.png.4b7dbe8c40c43f3c353f656436e931e7.png

4.) Fill vacuum with Oxygen and/or Hydrogen - sorting does not work in vacuum:

image.thumb.png.a270dcac89e09a8184c4a30024666894.png

Profit :D Kinda exploity maybe but man does this make life easier. 

image.thumb.png.0996d717520d0a26a958451d09928e51.png

From what I can tell the ratio of oxygen to hydrogen is normal but I never looked into all the bugs with it so someone else might be able to answer that. The sorting is just the cherry on top basically. 

Ethanol is a bit spicy in this design. Tested it with petroleum, water & 95C water coming in and had the whole area stabilized around 90C. 

So probably use petroleum and something else, not ethanol. 

2 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

100% uptime is the only way. Never realized you could have hydrogen on the bottom. I wonder if the outputs are the same.

They are. It depends on how it's primed. Hydrogen and oxygen output of the electrolyzer only goes into tiles that already contain the same gas. Any other gas than H2 or O2 in the system and it gets borked. 

Good old 'hydra'. No fixed from 2k17.

Pluses: no need filters (create O2 above lizers and launch, H2 seal with liquid) and create from any scaps (airflow plus few kg any two liquids with different density).

Minuses: output limited pumps (500 per pump) and

5 hours ago, nakomaru said:

100% uptime is the only way.

w/o automation.

1 hour ago, Red Shark said:

Why does this work? I understand the setup but not why it results in the observed effects...

When the electrolyzer is covered by liquid (but not flooded), the created gas will be created in the top-left tile. Then, the liquid will attempt to flow back into the top-left tile. Since the gas has an airflow tile it can flow through, it allows itself to be pushed left as well, and the system "resets" with the gas beyond the membrane, and the 4 tiles of liquid back overtop the electrolyzer..

If this is the only way the gas has to exit, it will push both oxygen and hydrogen through to the left. On the other hand, if the tile above the top-right square of the electrolyzer has either oxygen or hydrogen, the resultant gas will be created there, with the other gas being pushed to the top-left tile as before. Unfortunately, that doesn't give a very good explanation of why the gas goes there iff a matching element is already there. My guess is that the hydrogen gets created, then squeezed diagonally when the liquid tries to flow back into the space, but that diagonal squeeze only works if the element is already present in the destination cell.

5d349241abb2c_oniexample.thumb.png.2657a07922d2307ad2ac49b6e9818a05.png

Works just fine with hydrogen on top, too.

9 hours ago, Saturnus said:

They are. It depends on how it's primed. Hydrogen and oxygen output of the electrolyzer only goes into tiles that already contain the same gas. Any other gas than H2 or O2 in the system and it gets borked. 

my 2 cents, mirrored version does NOT work as expected 

5 minutes ago, flapee said:

my 2 cents, mirrored version does NOT work as expected 

You can't mirror it. I never even implied that in any way. 

You can however choose where hydrogen and oxygen goes when you prime it.

So I took my own advice, and found even simpler version, given the H2 will be on top.

Capture.PNG.727b71aa5ca639b2eca867bab3f269b7.PNG

As an added bonus, no need for priming, only vacuum is needed.

And in the early game, when hydrogen is yet not usable:

Capture.PNG.e3f7f53265e43879b582115d8b814f52.PNG

Archived