Now I am become pill, the destroyer of heat.

I'm not sure I can even put into words how insane this machine evolved to. In an attempt to further compact and streamline my previous chill pill design, I managed to take it to a degree that dupekind should never witness.

This beast can maintain heat deletion for FOUR full-time aquatuners... and I don't think it's possible to make it any smaller at this point.

Steel, Gold, Copper, Ceramic. 1200-1400 vitamin chews. Zero automation.

Temperature stabilizes at 300c.

Overview: (Actual cooler fits inside 2x4. Isolated to allow higher AT operating temps. >275c)

destroyer_overview.thumb.jpg.e5564c745b5b74eb2381a057a57ce688.jpg

Heat load: (excess of 350c)

destroyer_heatload.thumb.jpg.5d9717e0aa5ea7a6f9adcf0e2a0070b2.jpg

Heat overlay:

destroyer_heat.thumb.jpg.5a37aa4732368a4721ec25d1f454dad5.jpg

Rail system:

destroyer_rail.thumb.jpg.667005cdd792fae1235a1c1dcf2b49a6.jpg

Power overlay:

destroyer_power.thumb.jpg.bc5ee6e2d4757057f1e4bd9629ea853a.jpg

Automation: NONE.

destroyer_automation.thumb.jpg.ea7a82fc405bd0e198f6769e1d8c4a73.jpg

I regret everything about this.

This is insane, but I am confused. With no automation, how do you get the sweeper to send the pills to the fridge before the loader?

Just now, Yoma_Nosme said:

Let's see how devs will fix this  :wilson_ecstatic:

If the fridge stops instantly cooling its contents, and instead cools things down at the rate it produces external heat (when powered), then this build dies.

I suppose some explanation is in order.  Setting the fridge for a higher priority first will load the pills, then setting it lower will unload them into the conveyor loader. This does something.. strange. It permanently makes the hopper spit out the pills at 20c, without interacting with the fridge afterwards. An exploit within an exploit.

33 minutes ago, Blazing Falken said:

I suppose some explanation is in order.  Setting the fridge for a higher priority first will load the pills, then setting it lower will unload them into the conveyor loader. This does something.. strange. It permanently makes the hopper spit out the pills at 20c, without interacting with the fridge afterwards. An exploit within an exploit.

Does the quirk survive a reload?

I also found a way to continuously use the fridge without automation. Just have 2 sweepers. One can only see a single fridge and the exit of the rail. The other can only see the fridge and the loader.

Like this. Also only need 160-200 pills. And still retains temps in the range where you don't need space age materials. The thermosensor turns the sweepers on and off. Nothing more.

image.thumb.png.b259aed7d1449fe283368b63a8ac5e1b.png

If you want to be a little more advanced and save a bit of power then you can add automation to switch the sweepers on and off alternatively (only one sweeper on at any time) every 5 seconds which ensures the sweepers take 100kg of pills in one go every time.

I'll test a reload shortly. The automation I started with was extremely simple and minimal anyway, I just ripped it out after it became clear it was only slowing it down. The extra sweepers would be easy to set up but I was going for the absolute tightest I could make it.

Edit: Yep, still spitting out 20c pills for days after loading the game back up. Survived the reload and everything's working as "intended".

Edit 2: I'm aware there are other ways of doing it less exploit-y, but if you're already breaking the game, why not go all in. 100% uptime on 4 aquatuners is hard to beat and the amount of pills sounds like a lot but it's not a huge deal.  Not to mention this is the most compact and efficient way possible as far as I can tell. Not that I'm suggesting actually using this, it's pure crazy and ultra-cheesy.

6 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Does the quirk survive a reload?

I'll answer my own question. It does.

And with that... behold the return of the Borg Cube (or Pandora's Pill Box if you like that term better).

Temperature settles at just 109C so no steel required. You can use gold and gold amalgam for everything. The only special material needed is ceramic for the fridge. Which only requires a low-tech kiln, some coal and some clay.

Btw, even though I use petroleum in the picture below, it's tested to work with polluted water as well, so you don't even need to refine any oil. Nor do you need any tempshift plates either.

image.thumb.png.fa83485cc92003532a0b1b63106b1309.png

3 hours ago, Blazing Falken said:

I'm not sure I can even put into words how insane this machine evolved to. In an attempt to further compact and streamline my previous chill pill design, I managed to take it to a degree that dupekind should never witness.

This beast can maintain heat deletion for FOUR full-time aquatuners... and I don't think it's possible to make it any smaller at this point.

Steel, Gold, Copper, Ceramic. 1200-1400 vitamin chews. Zero automation.

Temperature stabilizes at 300c.

Overview: (Actual cooler fits inside 2x4. Isolated to allow higher AT operating temps. >275c)

destroyer_overview.thumb.jpg.e5564c745b5b74eb2381a057a57ce688.jpg

Heat load: (excess of 350c)

destroyer_heatload.thumb.jpg.5d9717e0aa5ea7a6f9adcf0e2a0070b2.jpg

Heat overlay:

destroyer_heat.thumb.jpg.5a37aa4732368a4721ec25d1f454dad5.jpg

Rail system:

destroyer_rail.thumb.jpg.667005cdd792fae1235a1c1dcf2b49a6.jpg

Power overlay:

destroyer_power.thumb.jpg.bc5ee6e2d4757057f1e4bd9629ea853a.jpg

Automation: NONE.

destroyer_automation.thumb.jpg.ea7a82fc405bd0e198f6769e1d8c4a73.jpg

I regret everything about this.

How do you sleep at night?

4 hours ago, suxkar said:

How do you sleep at night?

He/She sleeps very well. I can vouch for that. :) 

6 hours ago, pacovf said:

If the fridge stops instantly cooling its contents, and instead cools things down at the rate it produces external heat (when powered), then this build dies.

Yep. The regular battery used to reset the surrounding gas atmosphere to 75C, and with it you could cool 25 aquatuners running full time with a single battery. They fixed that exploit (thankfully). Basically, if you every find a part of the game that "resets"  temp instantly, then you can exploit it in a similar way as done here.  

Time to go on a hunt for more possible exploits. 

I see there is an adventure game hidden in ONI, where you can find massively overpowered magic items of a surprising nature! Excellent!

On a completely unrelated note: Dear devs. You seem to have nerfed cooling enough that any non-intended way to do it now will be mercilessly used. Better fix everything soon!

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

I see there is an adventure game hidden in ONI, where you can find massively overpowered magic items of a surprising nature! Excellent!

This part of the game is quite entertaining, though public ridicule, floggings, hangings, and other such shenanigans are in your future if you choose to pursue it. 

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

On a completely unrelated note: Dear devs. You seem to have nerfed cooling enough that any non-intended way to do it now will be mercilessly used. Better fix everything soon!

That is indeed the point. My own goal is to make builds that everyone can build using a minimum of skill and using readily available materials that everyone has access to early game. This is in order to showcase serious bugs in the game so they can be fixed.

The updated Borg Cube as posted above does exactly that. The only thing it requires is that the map has a slime biome to get gold amalgam. If not then it's harder to make.

The more people who build and use it, the more likely it is that Klei will get off their arses, and fix it.

9 hours ago, mathmanican said:

FYI, the fridge is not needed. Removing the fridge allows you to insert 2 more metal plates for more heat destruction, increasing efficiency. 

It really doesn't matter. The only thing you save is the ceramics for the fridge. You gain nothing. Even with two more metal tiles it's still not enough to cool an aqautuner cooling supercoolant with early game materials. And the original build is still plenty to cool an aquatuner cooling anything else than supercoolant with early game materials.

The only real advantage from removing the fridge (apart from saving the ceramics to build it) is that you can rearrange the things inside. And maybe add a filling vent. Or a pipe thermo sensor to control the aquatuner. Or both.

Archived