A less wasteful way of cooling robo-miners should be considered

You can cool them with a coolant loop, with them standing on a airflow tile and in front of a tempshift plate.  Put a drop of petroleum on them and they cool fine.  No waste at all, just a decent infrastructure.  Copied the design from FJ and it worked just fine.

You can also drip petrol on them in order to create an atmosphere (with drywall ofc), and allow the regolith conduct to them/cool them if you make them out of Thermium (since regolith tops out about 350C, you need the high overheat temp to make this work). I've actually done this in a real game and it works great, so there are at least 3 viable methods, and only one of them destroys mass. And one even generates free power.

I tried to mod piped cooling to robo miners in space. While it works, it's totally overpowered and completely change how buildings in general can be cooled. In other words it full of game breaking exploits. Part of the problem is that if you transfer heat 1:1 from the building to a liquid, then people will use water and it almost doesn't change temperature due to the heat capacity. I tried various ways of dealing with it and regardless of what I did, all the solutions became full of exploits.

Any idea of how a cooling system like this could work without being overpowered?

10 hours ago, Squeegee said:

I believe the only current viable method is a bit silly

Realistically i see 2 ways they might adress it. The lazy way, by making them no longer produce heat. Or by making them exchange heat with tiles it`s attached to.

2 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Posting suggestion on suggestion board instead of general discussion should be considered.

It's a discussion so far. However it seems that by now there is a somewhat conclusion of: direct liquid cooling is overpowered. Exchanging heat with the tile(s) the robo miner is attached to could be balanced. If we agree we settle for this conclusion, making a suggestion in the correct forum with the correct text in the first post would be the way to go.

Just build them out of thermium and rebuild them once they start overheating, should that happen before you quit playing the colony.

My robo miners could mine 7 blocks for a 3 degree increase, so starting at 35° means 2200 blocks before overheating. Per miner. I build my shield at the max height, so I only get a maximum of two layers of regolith per meteor shower. Additionally I'm still using my original design, so 2/3 of my miners get entombed temporarily, meaning they'll give their heat to the regolith.

Archived