Aquatuner+Steam Turbine compact designs?

38 minutes ago, LTLking said:

There is this 1

and this 1.

If you watch more from the series. He installs them every where.
Even 1 sitting next to the water storage in the base to cool it.

Hello, you posted the same video with the same time stamp twice

44 minutes ago, LTLking said:

If you watch more from the series. He installs them every where.

Which is exactly the issue with the last fixes. John's play-through demonstrates how the new "steam turbine everywhere" meta will actually look like - same design with some adaptations 8 times on the same map (or even more?). Is it the intended game experience? His save file is available on his youtube channel, so developers can download it and look for themselves how much variety exactly this strategy yields.

PS. No offense meant to John's choice of strategy, it's very efficient and in the end is all up to a player. Well it was all up to a player, that's the issue I wanted to highlight here.

18 minutes ago, Hedning said:

Nothing. I cleaned it up for the purpose of the post. check the edit. https://imgur.com/SZxdMen

Previous version keeps liquid in cooling loop, until it reaches needed temperature.

This one is lot less robust construction - it  just cools liquid once, and let it go. This may be fine, if this liquid loopback to aquatuner, but if warm liquid and cold liquid not connected (water from sieve to wheat farm, for example) it doesn't work

6 minutes ago, Prince Mandor said:

Previous version keeps liquid in cooling loop, until it reaches needed temperature.

This one is lot less robust construction

That is true. Compromises.Topic is about a compact design and this has less stuff.

2 hours ago, Hedning said:

Here's mine and how it works: https://imgur.com/SZxdMen It's not complicated at all.

Hi, I like your simple design, may I ask if this is power positive? I roughly calculated seems the heat dissipated by the aquatuner cannot sustain its power consumption.

if water is used as the coolant, 588ktu is transfered at the aquatuner, then it can heat up 2 kg of water from 95C to 165C.

finally 532W is generated at the turbine. Am I correct with the above calculation?

1 hour ago, Hedning said:

That is true. Compromises.Topic is about a compact design and this has less stuff.

Talking about compactness, we do not need bottom area three cells high. It can be as small as a one cell high, and only two cells high at aquatuner

5 hours ago, miauly said:

- same design with some adaptations 8 times on

Yeah He's going to have to change his strategy.
The new balances in the game are meant to get you to try different options in different scenarios and use all the resources in conjunction with each other.
Even same map but you may not get this resource so you have to use a different or limited supply.

I have found 3 wheezworts on the 1st map and the base is slowly warming up even with cooling the O2 through the melting ice.
I had to use a gas cooling thingy else my only source of food atm of gristle berries were starting to over heat from the grill.
I stuck in the wheezworts but later moved them when I added the gas cooling and it got the temp down.

Why not eggs. Still early. Trying to get them going.
I later moved them to a battery box. Nope. That 1 is not cooling. Oh. It takes phospherite. What? Now I need a drecko farm.
Oh that means I need to bring back the mealwood.

3 minutes ago, LTLking said:

Yeah He's going to have to change his strategy.

The turbine setup he uses will be eventually available on any map if I am not mistaken, as it's steel-based. The only difference in strategy will be how to get there and not die off before that. But that's a question of couple hundreds of cycles, after which the game becomes generic. What's the purpose of adding different maps if strategy post-steel if the same everywhere, and pre-steel is so pressing players will try to rush it as fast as possible?

This remains me of RoG DS - first year or maybe two are pressing and then you do not see why continue playing once you have all you need set up. Ruins are there as a next and more difficult step but a reason to go to them is not there. Now it seems that ONI is going the same way - pressing rush to steel and proper cooling, and then more than half of the game time-wise is not nearly as pressing and feels grindy and the same on any play-through and any map? I'd say that the drop in difficulty once your base becomes stable in ONI is even more apparent than in DS - and that was before all the last changes which will make start of the game harder and at the same time will not affect the difficulty in the remaining part at all. 

Taking John's play-through as an example, he is on to steel at something like 200 cycles in, and he plays for around 1000. He's not rushing, and even so - the difficulty increase made in the last patches is targeted only at 1/5 of the actual game as it is played. 

If crashes are fixed before the weekend, I hope I will get a chance to play far enough to verify if my speculation above applies to the current game state, but in theory it looks like this.

6 hours ago, qda said:

Automation is a single in-pipe thermo sensor wired to the aquatuner, set to the desired cooling temperature

Wiring the automation to the aquatuner has some unwelcome side effects. If your loop ever has an empty slot, there will always be a spare packet that get's released at the wrong temperature. I've experienced this multiple times and have resorted to using a liquid shutoff with zero problems.

4 hours ago, miauly said:

Taking John's play-through as an example, he is on to steel at something like 200 cycles in, and he plays for around 1000. He's not rushing, and even so - the difficulty increase made in the last patches is targeted only at 1/5 of the actual game as it is played. 

And heat isn't usually a huge deal in the first 100 cycles so it really is just targeted at 1/10th of the game.  

On 7/5/2019 at 3:09 AM, Ka-Oz said:

Hello, you posted the same video with the same time stamp twice

Wooops. That youtube address. I didn't use the share link.
It copied the playlist but not the full address to the individual video in the playlist.
Fixed it with the timestamps.

Here is how I cool down anything currently. Aquatuner design is of here:

It's a bit of a mess like you can tell, mostly because I don't really plan ahead. :D

I tried using steam to cook fertilizer to dirt for a wild farming area. Would not recommend unless steam is super hot. Probably easier to just heat up a liquid with the refinery and then drop fertilizer on the ground and a layer of petroleum on top. 

image.thumb.png.3c1601db1a49605ac7377472b9e6d059.png

image.thumb.png.4cdc0fdd4d6bf8223baf3feb7fd72083.png

image.thumb.png.2a3853d70e74ada1252be30fa36b186e.png

Also have a lot of magma volcanos so those are optimized around producing power if it is needed and keeping the turbine cold. 

image.thumb.png.2d72260038c1fd17f358eae706b91c70.png

image.thumb.png.6fcb44489d4fcf7a83ea4b2c17e6fbe3.png

image.thumb.png.511c68bc2d49e83447531e65bbd28b13.png

3 hours ago, Mullematsch said:

image.thumb.png.2d72260038c1fd17f358eae706b91c70.png

I can't see any turbine cooling here. Also, how are you going to deal with magma turning into solid squares?

I think it's a pretty best design for the current state of the game. Thx to Brothgar's idea of self cooling.

20190727003648_1.jpg

20190727003700_1.jpg

On 5.7.2019 at 11:15 AM, miauly said:

Which is exactly the issue with the last fixes. John's play-through demonstrates how the new "steam turbine everywhere" meta will actually look like - same design with some adaptations 8 times on the same map (or even more?). Is it the intended game experience? His save file is available on his youtube channel, so developers can download it and look for themselves how much variety exactly this strategy yields.

PS. No offense meant to John's choice of strategy, it's very efficient and in the end is all up to a player. Well it was all up to a player, that's the issue I wanted to highlight here.

Still better than magical heat deletion from sieves etc machines

19 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

No loop?

That was a loop. The cold returned as warm in a closed loop.

12 hours ago, tseitsei said:

Still better than magical heat deletion from sieves etc machines

This isn't any less magical.

Archived