Gas Mask should negate Wagstaff's blurriness.

JazzyGames

In order to get to the Aporkalypse calendar you must wear a gas mask and travel through the poisonous biome. Seems unreasonable to condemn Wagstaff to stagger blindly through this biome just because he needs poison protection.

How about an upgraded version of the Gas Mask that also negates blurriness? Maybe the recipe could call for 1 Gas Mask and 1 Gold.

Call them "blightfocals" (insead of bifocals). Provides gas protection but adds a dark shade to the world.

This reminds me of a mod character I saw once, whose major downside was that they couldn't wear any body slot items... but then they also had a ton of unique hats that functioned exactly the same as said body slot items, basically invalidating that downside.

Wagstaff's downside is that he can't wear anything but goggles without having blurry vision. Every once in a while, you may have to do a task that requires you to deal with that blurry vision, and that's just what it's like to play a character with a downside. I also don't think "stagger blindly" is accurate, since Wagstaff doesn't go completely blind without goggles, far-away things just get a little blurry.

You only have to explore it once, it's not that large, and his blurry vision isn't INTENSELY debilitating. After you know where the entrance is, you're good to go. Wagstaff does occasionally need to wear something that's not goggles and that's just the price.

To think of it another way; Wagstaff's blurry vision during the day is still significantly better than walking around at night with just a torch, and you probably explore like that earlygame, don't you? It's not that bad for just a minute.

My mind has been changed regarding this. It's not that great of a disadvantage the more I think about it. I guess I assumed that since the mask has lenses it should provide clear vision. Also because I am doing a series on Wagstaff I am desperately trying to avoid blurry vision as much as possible.

But I do hear your points. It's not that big of a disadvantage. My Herald island is close to Roc island so I will probably end up creating an array of telepads between the two islands and use a combination of bird whistle + telebrella to just avoid the gas biome entirely.

1 hour ago, Namelessgamer said:

You can play him without goggles, nearsightedness is only visual downside that doesn’t impact the gameplay.

This is true only if my headaches induced by blurry images affecting my ability to play the game doesn't count as gameplay impact.

3 hours ago, Namelessgamer said:

You can play him without goggles, nearsightedness is only visual downside that doesn’t impact the gameplay.

It prevents you from clicking on or interacting with objects beyond a certain range around him.

For example, if you want to pick up and item and click on it, he won’t go to pick it up but just say how he can’t see it.

Regardless, I don’t think it’s a huge deal. He just needs to find the ruins entrance once, and once he does he can put a telepad near the ruins entrance and you can teleport there in instantly without a gas mask.

1 hour ago, JazzyGames said:

This is true only if my headaches induced by blurry images affecting my ability to play the game doesn't count as gameplay impact.

I think it's preferable to ask for an alternative to the Gas Mask than expose yourself to the risk of headaches. ofc it counts... it affects your ability to play if you get headaches ... 

other people reported this issue as well when Wagstaff was released.... @MWY and others have extreme eye drain and they are probably using the Overlays's mod to disable the blurriness...

that was in part why I asked back then for a change to the Gas Mask so the people with similar issues, specially in console or simply the people that don't like to use mods, have the option to play with goggles most of the time and don't get sick by it. 

If the visual effect is a problem, the solution to that problem is a different visual effect, not further trivializing what's supposed to be a defining aspect of the character. Willow doesn't get a gadget that follows her around and puts out her insanity fires, Wendy doesn't get a pill that buffs up her damage, and Wagstaff doesn't need a special item or a buff to an existing item to offset a relatively minor inconvenience you deal with like 10 minutes at a time tops every once in a while.

The difficulty is not gonna change with this minor change. Wagstaff's meta is body clothing mostly. This still remains. 

Making people sick for no reason isn't a good alternative.

I don't believe Klei is gonna change the blurriness effect. It makes much more sense to simply allow this. Gas masks aren't really an everyday item, so balance isn't really an isuue here. 

11 hours ago, Faintly Macabre said:

If the visual effect is a problem, the solution to that problem is a different visual effect, not further trivializing what's supposed to be a defining aspect of the character.

Ok, fine then. Provide an additional disadvantage in exchange for gas protection. Maybe give him tunnel vision similar to the visor, remove hayfever protection, or let the sanity drop be more severe. Honestly, I would take anything but blurriness.

To be clear, I use the gas mask solely to traverse the gas biome. The bluriness does not affect my ability to traverse it in the slightest, it only worsens the play experience. While I agree that it is not a major disadvantage, my proposal is a quality of life improvement. I think some of you are taking this a bit over the top when you say that this would remove a major character disadvantage to a small aspect of the game.

Archived