Positive sides of Hamlet

As we let Klei know that we are quite disappointed with Hamlet, let's talk about the good sides of this DLC. I will start:

-mobs with well designed fight style - mobs such as Royal Guard or Scorpion have unusual attacks and/or are hard to kite. I like it, because kiting mobs is overall quite easy to learn and usually all you had to do was just hit the enemy, run away, hit him once again and again run away

-Pig Cities - that one is an obvious one, but Pig Cities affect the gameplay so much it would be a sin to not place it there.

-Aporkalypse - the idea of special and unique season is pretty interesting. Aporkalypse is quite empty and lacks in content that would make it more endearing, but the concept of an event that is avoidable, but when happens it brings destruction and special rewards is winsome.

-Ruins and houses - another one quite obvious positive. A possibility to create and explore mazes made of simple rooms is a simple concept, but very charming at the same time. Unfortunately, Ruins just like Aporkalypse lack in content to explore but are also appealing.

-inviolable biomes - Deep Rainforest is a biome that can not be affected by player in any significant way. The turf can not be removed or replaced, Giant Trees are not to be cut and the Rabid Beetles are spawned there in giant amounts. Personally I like the idea of a biome that is just immune to player's actions.

What do you like in Hamlet DLC? Please write down below!

I'm enjoying Hamlet very much. It's like Don't Starve, but different in some key ways that force you to play differently, and it's fresh and new and interesting while still being Don't Starve.

And beyond that, to mention something specific, the writing is still as clever and amusing as always, for all of the character examination quotes and the dialogue from the pigs. I think the way they address you as "unpig" is absolutely charming.

I can own a home without having to put an absurd down payment/lease on it, as well as having to not to worry about paying rent to a very angry and short-fused landlord.

Spoiler

Super powered armor is always a plus in my book.

I can wear a crown and wield a sceptre to beat  frolick with the general population.

For once in my life, people pay ME taxes.

If someone in town does something stupid and/or I can't stand them, I can actually just bring about the end of the world as we know it by standing on a button and waiting it out for however long I feel. Then they'll throw a party in my name, the fools...

Town building in RoG and SW? Sign me up.

On 5/23/2019 at 12:22 AM, kiwikenobi said:

the writing is still as clever and amusing as always, for all of the character examination quotes

I gotta argue with this one. While there's still plenty of witty quotes, in particular Wilson's seem incredibly lazy this go around. Every other one is just beating his "science" joke to death. "The science is asleep" "that's some good science" "science couldn't have done this!" Seriously overdone.

21 hours ago, Nyla Smokeyface said:

May I ask why people were so disappointed with Hamlet?

Because they played the damned thing for five months in an unfinished state by bits and pieces and for some reason didn't think this would leave them with a lot less to do when the product was actually finished.

1 hour ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Every other one is just beating his "science" joke to death.

Fair enough about the excessive repetition of the "science" jokes. It does get old quickly. But I think the good stuff is still quite good. Better than no amusing writing at all.

you say "positive sides of hamlet" as if hamlet is more bad than good and we have to look on the bright side for hamlet

nearly all of hamlet fits a style of gameplay that goes somewhere along the lines of megabasing (seasonal things are ones that are easily avoidable or ignorable, theres no annoying seasonal bosses to screw with you, endgame items allow for lots of creative ideas for base design and more key to the city being the shining example, and technically hamlet brought in merged crafting which is absolutely huge) which is a huge plus for veterans of the game that truly explore the sandbox aspect of it. and even besides that playstyle hamlet brings a lot to the table for casual play in what i'd describe as a breath of fresh air compared to RoG/SW. instead of fighting for stuff  and generally living out in the woods with nothing but your metaphorical bare fists, you're in some weird civilized world where you actually have to buy your food instead of hunt it, and get a job as a janitor or gardener. along with that you can go explore ruins that have lots of mystery and just, general enjoyment to be found within.

The idea that hamlet is disappointing especially compared to it's older brother shipwrecked is absolutely ludicrous in my perspective given what we've got and how good it all is.

On 5/29/2019 at 2:53 AM, lbphero said:

you say "positive sides of hamlet" as if hamlet is more bad than good and we have to look on the bright side for hamlet

nearly all of hamlet fits a style of gameplay that goes somewhere along the lines of megabasing (seasonal things are ones that are easily avoidable or ignorable, theres no annoying seasonal bosses to screw with you, endgame items allow for lots of creative ideas for base design and more key to the city being the shining example, and technically hamlet brought in merged crafting which is absolutely huge) which is a huge plus for veterans of the game that truly explore the sandbox aspect of it. and even besides that playstyle hamlet brings a lot to the table for casual play in what i'd describe as a breath of fresh air compared to RoG/SW. instead of fighting for stuff  and generally living out in the woods with nothing but your metaphorical bare fists, you're in some weird civilized world where you actually have to buy your food instead of hunt it, and get a job as a janitor or gardener. along with that you can go explore ruins that have lots of mystery and just, general enjoyment to be found within.

The idea that hamlet is disappointing especially compared to it's older brother shipwrecked is absolutely ludicrous in my perspective given what we've got and how good it all is.

You're megabasing for the aesthetics though, there's no real economy you can improve in your city, you don't really have any unique ways of dealing with potential threats, you don't get any resources for building more structures or having a mixture of them, you just build buildings for the aesthetic of it, and then spam a couple of guard towers to win the game.

Not a single aspect of what makes city building games is in Hamlet. You don't need farmers, you don't need miners, you don't need to protect people from thieves, you don't need to protect people from bats...

And if that isn't interesting enough? Well, I guess you can go fight optional bosses which are pretty easy (they do have some cool moves and great art), you can go deal with seasons that pose no challenge and provide no unique changes to your playstyle, or any risk and reward, you can go explore ruins... to find the same couple of traps, enemies, and the same reward: a relic that gets turned into basic currency, which is an inefficient way to even be earning oincs in the first place.

Don't Starve turns out to be incredibly shallow when turned into a casual game, which is why the multiplayer is having a hard time of actually keeping people playing, and needs a bunch of drop systems.

When you have an entire expansion that's about sitting in a safe secure house, with infinite lights, with overpowered guards, and the ability to have easy access to food at all times, then the game becomes casual, but shallow. Don't Starve is meant to be a "uncompromising wilderness survival", but Hamlet has turned into Stardew Valley Lite Lite Lite Lite Lite Lite Lite Lite.

Overall, Hamlet has some amazing art, sound, and themes, but is shallow as a pond, just like Shipwrecked when it first launched, before it got its year after patch.

edit: also the new challenges and depth to the seasons that was promised wasn't touched on in the slightest in the months till launch launch, Hamlet was just TOO much new stuff to handle, and this 'breath of fresh air' seems like it had a troubled development, I mean there's SO much cut content from the game that looks near complete...

8 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

Don't Starve turns out to be incredibly shallow when turned into a casual game

Don't Starve is meant to be a "uncompromising wilderness survival", but Hamlet has turned into Stardew Valley Lite Lite Lite Lite Lite Lite Lite Lite.

And yet, lots of people who aren't experts of the game are bashing this DLC for being too hard or having BS mechanics that get them killed. Kinda like when the original game first released.

The "uncompromising wilderness survival" thing is an aspect you only ever experience when you're new and don't know what you're supposed to do. The element of there being no hand holding is redundant when you don't need it in the first place.

On 5/18/2019 at 9:00 AM, __IvoCZE__ said:

Hamlet's teleportato has sexy cheek bones and an particularly nice setpiece

What does hamlets teleportato look like? I haven't played hamlet since before the full release.

Archived