Do you (yourself) think Hamlet and/or Shipwrecked is canonical in the DS storyline?

More than side stuff, i find the singleplayer dlcs as "what-ifs". They're canon to their own right and it's up to you to choose the epical conclusion dst will inevitability bring up, vs the less grand but by no means tame misadventures of wilson and the cast. 

So it's really up to preference and interpretation. 

After years of hope, I gave up and finally think the DLC's aren't canon.

There are no portals in SW, contrary to the base game and ROG but as ROG is more an upgraded version of the base game and not a whole new world, it is not relevant. The DLC's characters never had a constructed lore about their arrival in the constant, neither in the video clip, neither in their quotes (what a missed opportunity in that last case ! Klei that love puzzles could have reveal some informations about the characters when traveling to the base/ROG game and examining the caves and ruins, clocworks, portal, etc.).

I saw a job offer in the Klei website in which they were looking for a writer for elaborating and developing the story and the lore for Don't Starve Together. They don't seem to put much interest in the DLC's, that they see I guess as some whole another experience and some freedom for their creativity. I think they don't want to restrain themselves, the potential characters and their perks for a story that they don't really have in mind anyway when we look to the career announce :p

It's fine with me, I've made my mourning on this idea. I still would love to see Wilbur going banana when examining the ruins and utilizing the portals as if it knows exactly how to do it, plus recognizing Maxwell and some stuff, implying it could have been a pet from Maxwell, or why not Wagstaff, that was trained to go in the constant with the book or the portal, to test what would happened to a being.

Warly could had some quotes when doing recipes like "It all started that night, with that hot coffee". "The forbidden recipe I saw in that old book". "A way to travel either in heaven or here" when examining a crockpot.

Well well I stop there, but you got my point. I'm hurting myself. I didn't have totally done that mourning I guess haha
Time will heal that I hope :D

People think the DLC's aren't canon but there is nothing that even suggests that. Just because they're aren't part of DST doesn't mean they're not canon. Canonically Wilson dies multiple times in the constant before confronting Maxwell, there's definitely a chance he had time to explore other regions of the realm.

It would help if they were tied to the lore though.

21 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

People think the DLC's aren't canon but there is nothing that even suggests that.

In my opinion, that's not how people think about it. It is more like "nothing suggest the DLC's could be cannon".

Plus, there is no puzzles related to the Voxola in the video clip released for the DLC's, no character's DLC lore tied to the Voxola in any way. That's just not how the stories were told during the base game and the many puzzles in that era. There is just, no stories at all linked with the DLC's or even within.

We can't say it is cannon, we can't say it is not, but to be honest, the absence of any story make it more no cannon than cannon.

But that's just my opinion :D

In my headcannon each DLC character was only pulled into their respective world, and Maxwell only has control over the RoG world. SW and Hamlet each have their own "Charlie and Maxwell". It's like in the Constant there is a greater force that elects people to rule in their stead in each world. And Maxell is an honorific name which is why the Hamlet chameleon is called Maxameleon. So Walani, Warly, etc, weren't brought by Maxwell, but might have travelled to RoG way after or way before the portals were created in RoG into DST.

4 hours ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

Yes. Chronologically, to be exact. Wilson escapes Vanilla/RoG via a boat, crashes and finds himself in SW, escapes SW via a hot air balloon, and ends up in Hamlet.

precisely.. then adventure mode.. cyclum, dst

5 hours ago, Caochu said:

After years of hope, I gave up and finally think the DLC's aren't canon.

There are no portals in SW, contrary to the base game and ROG but as ROG is more an upgraded version of the base game and not a whole new world, it is not relevant. The DLC's characters never had a constructed lore about their arrival in the constant, neither in the video clip, neither in their quotes (what a missed opportunity in that last case ! Klei that love puzzles could have reveal some informations about the characters when traveling to the base/ROG game and examining the caves and ruins, clocworks, portal, etc.).

I saw a job offer in the Klei website in which they were looking for a writer for elaborating and developing the story and the lore for Don't Starve Together. They don't seem to put much interest in the DLC's, that they see I guess as some whole another experience and some freedom for their creativity. I think they don't want to restrain themselves, the potential characters and their perks for a story that they don't really have in mind anyway when we look to the career announce :p

It's fine with me, I've made my mourning on this idea. I still would love to see Wilbur going banana when examining the ruins and utilizing the portals as if it knows exactly how to do it, plus recognizing Maxwell and some stuff, implying it could have been a pet from Maxwell, or why not Wagstaff, that was trained to go in the constant with the book or the portal, to test what would happened to a being.

Warly could had some quotes when doing recipes like "It all started that night, with that hot coffee". "The forbidden recipe I saw in that old book". "A way to travel either in heaven or here" when examining a crockpot.

Well well I stop there, but you got my point. I'm hurting myself. I didn't have totally done that mourning I guess haha
Time will heal that I hope :D

this is an excerpt from the link you added to the writer position...

Help write and maintain lore documentation for characters, worlds and events

I think they do care about lore.. otherwise why put it in there

3 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

@Zeklo.. wanna take this one?

I'm flattered, though I don't have much to add apart from: 
I have no reason to think SW is canon but Hamlet is poking a lot of lore-ridden strings.

We have a robot seemingly created to combat the Shadow Creatures.

We have a nightmare apparition that's one of the Ancients.

We have a pig civilization & character that relate to our Pig King.

Etc.

4 hours ago, Zeklo said:

I'm flattered, though I don't have much to add apart from: 
I have no reason to think SW is canon but Hamlet is poking a lot of lore-ridden strings.

We have a robot seemingly created to combat the Shadow Creatures.

We have a nightmare apparition that's one of the Ancients.

We have a pig civilization & character that relate to our Pig King.

Etc.

SW is cannon on this alone... :p

latest?cb=20151208093909 

Broken AAC Device

Archived