What about the new Character ?

I actually think there is a very good chance that Wagstaff will join the DST roster, mainly because:

-He was added to the DS roster and not part of any DLC (not even RoG)

-The Telebrella/telipad would be super useful for multiplayer, and it just seems like something that is geared towards having multiplayer in mind.

-Super duper important to the lore

-Not really OP since the characters wont (or rather, shouldn't) be able to wear any of his goggles. (because his glasses have to be extremely thick to magnify his eyes that much, and in practical terms, no one else should be able to see in those glasses unless their eyes are also similar. I know this is real life logic and Don't Starve is, well, Don't Starve, but there really isn't any excuse to make that a mechanic.

I'm pretty sure they said that one of the new characters were going to appear in both DS and DST for free. Pretty sure Wagstaff is this character.

EDIT-- I can't find where they said this for the life of me so if someone knows what i'm talking about and can link it please do so I know that i'm not making things up.

EDIT-- "We also felt it’s been awhile since we added a new character for all our base game fans, so one of these characters will be free to all Don’t Starve owners!"

So this is what I read in the Hamlet Roadmap so it seems I may have read into things a bit and thought that "all Don't Starve owners!" applied to DST as well. Apologies to anyone that I may have misled.

"Deleted"...himself?  Or did someone ELSE...

Spoiler

KNOCK IT OFF, MONIKA!  This isn't even your game!

Seriously though, I'd love to see the new characters in all versions of the game. Then again, I'm maybe not the one to ask, as I'm a "The more the merrier!" type when it comes to character choice.  For example I go around using the Shipwrecked Characters mod all the time; that's HOW Walani ended up as "The High Priestess of Starvania" in my icon.  (shrug)

(Although of course she doesn't have a custom head skin with face tattoos; that was just me drawing the picture fancier.  Heh.)

...Notorious

4 hours ago, Zarklord said:

Wagstaff uses a lot of DS only engine mechanics, so unless klei adds those, Wagstaff can never be a faithful port.
plus he also has a new face symbol, which means you would need to remake every player anim. so I would only expect shoddy ports.

i might be wrong but the idea is that every character will end up being different from single-player after the reworks on DST

19 hours ago, Canis said:

Which ones?

Visual filters, mostly. The insanity "wobbles", for example, are completely engine-side and untouchable by mods. The shortsightedness blur and infrared vision are new filters in the DS engine and probably won't get ported to DST unless Wagstaff as a whole gets ported.

1 hour ago, Mobbstar said:

Visual filters, mostly. The insanity "wobbles", for example, are completely engine-side and untouchable by mods. The shortsightedness blur and infrared vision are new filters in the DS engine and probably won't get ported to DST unless Wagstaff as a whole gets ported.

I mean, judging by what modders have been able to do in the past, the filters aren't impossible to do, right?

On 4/18/2019 at 8:44 PM, Canis said:

-Not really OP since the characters wont (or rather, shouldn't) be able to wear any of his goggles. (because his glasses have to be extremely thick to magnify his eyes that much, and in practical terms, no one else should be able to see in those glasses unless their eyes are also similar. I know this is real life logic and Don't Starve is, well, Don't Starve, but there really isn't any excuse to make that a mechanic.

Ah but you forget that Wickerbottom wears glasses...and her eyes are entirely shut closed and she still gets around.

8 hours ago, Canis said:

I mean, judging by what modders have been able to do in the past, the filters aren't impossible to do, right?

Most of it is hackish workarounds.

We don't really have access to the shader part of the engine to add in more or edit existing ones from the mod api.

Can, however, disable the game from changing parameters for these shaders on the lua side.  See: Post Processor Disabler.

1 minute ago, CarlZalph said:

Most of it is hackish workarounds.

We don't really have access to the shader part of the engine to add in more or edit existing ones from the mod api.

Can, however, disable the game from changing parameters for these shaders on the lua side.  See: Post Processor Disabler.

Well then, we just hope for the best, I guess?

Archived