Thoughts on new disease system.

I want to hear peoples thoughts on the QOL 3 disease system. Personally, I don't like it too much. Being able to cure slimelung and food  poisoning instantly is very odd, and makes disease seem like just a tiny, tiny nuisance. Also, I could be wrong, but I think floral scents are making my duplicants very prone to diseases. Overall it's not too big of a deal, I'm just bored and want to hear peoples thoughts about this!

What I would really like to see is new disease types being added through modding. That would be pretty coo.

59 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

On normal play, it takes continual exposure to get a normal dupe sick.  If your base is reasonably clean, your other dupes won't catch it -- especially if you have a med bay room built.

I don't know about that... my dupes catch food poisoning all the time ("X got food poisoning after eating Barbeque") despite the fact that they all wear atmo suits and all of my food storage is chlorinated and therefore germ-free.

No slimelung, though. Thank goodness.

Just now, M.C. said:

I don't know about that... my dupes catch food poisoning all the time ("X got food poisoning after eating Barbeque") despite the fact that they all wear atmo suits and all of my food storage is chlorinated and therefore germ-free.

No slimelung, though. Thank goodness.

Food poisoning is ingested.  Which means if your dupes eat contaminated food, they will get it.  Or if your dupes have food poisoning on their hands, then they eat.  The easiest fix?  Put a sink by your toilet.  If you're still having a problem, put a sink in the door to your cafeteria.  If you're STILL having trouble, then you've gotta talk to your cooks and tell them to quit sneezing on the omelettes.

Just now, KittenIsAGeek said:

Food poisoning is ingested.  Which means if your dupes eat contaminated food, they will get it.  Or if your dupes have food poisoning on their hands, then they eat.  The easiest fix?  Put a sink by your toilet.  If you're still having a problem, put a sink in the door to your cafeteria.  If you're STILL having trouble, then you've gotta talk to your cooks and tell them to quit sneezing on the omelettes.

Like I said, no contaminated food, easily verifiable by looking at it. There's a sink at the entrance of the cafeteria. Everybody who enters washes their hands. I am still having food poisoning cases often enough that I had to automate basic cure production.

I dunno what's going on. Maybe those cooks really spit into everybody's meals...

1 minute ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

That is very strange.  I've never almost never had food poisoning.  .. Do you have a water cooler?  Is the water that goes into it contaminated with food poisoning?  Because that's another vector for your dupes to ingest the disease.

I have a disabled water cooler. It's there to satisfy the great hall requirement but it's not actually being used. It's been empty for a few hundred cycles now.

Strange to see ppl not having problems with diseases i NEVER EVER had problem with any disease, now my base is ALWAYS with like 40% dupes sick, then cure then insta sick again, i put buddy buds everywhere to help contain slime, deodorizers and yeah, still the same. They touch a disease next cycle they will sufer. I think a dupe must have a 5 cycles imunity against diseases when threated and even then, well...

It has moved from a catastrophic event (dupes puking all over or about to die without care) to more of an efficiency maintenance job. Cures for basic and intermediate disease are not hard to make and keep in supply. I am unsure about allergy meds and advanced cures, they may be too hard to make at the moment. After my first allergic dupe was a huge problem in a test-run, I have not taken any new ones.

I am a bit sorry to see the old system gone, I liked it better. But the new one is acceptable as well and makes the game feel differently again. That is basically what keeps me playing.

4 minutes ago, Prismaa said:

I just started new colony too and half of my dupes are in food poisoning all the time even I have damn sinks everywhere, but then only food I currently have is mealwood xD

Just produce minor cures. That rakes care of it. No need for any medical station either besides the apothecary station for making them.

I don't know what to say.  I'm not having any of the problems that many of you are reporting.  My dupes rarely get sick, and when they do, they quarantine themselves and don't infect others.  Its an occasional nuisance -- though I haven't encountered zombie spores yet.  Is everyone playing on Germ Resistance: Miserable?  Because unless I have a biohazzard dupe, it takes multiple exposures to slimelung to get sick.

Can someone do a look into code, how sickness works now / random / germ mass based / time based?

10 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Because unless I have a biohazzard dupe, it takes multiple exposures to slimelung to get sick.

Is it that way? 

18 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

Can someone do a look into code, how sickness works now / random / germ mass based / time based?

Is it that way? 

I think inhaling even one germ of slimelung gives dupes the "Exposed to Slimelung" status effect. I think dupes with this effect have a chance to come down with slimelung, modified by number of germs exposed to posiblt.

I don't think it takes multiple exposures. The first case I had was when I printed a Catalina. I had been mining out the slime biome without suits for dozens of cycles, and no one else caught it. Catalina cam down with slimelung on her first exposure.

7 minutes ago, estrogenesys said:

I think .. I think ..I don't think..

Yes, but i would like to know.
I get the feeling, that ONI works different, on different clients..
Most times i had some pufts flying around my base, to eat every PO left, but now i seem to get sick dupes in range of pufts.

I simply hate the new disease system.

In the old system, digging through a slime biome can be very dangerous - slimelung was a real risk, and extra care was needed until atmosuit was available.  Imunity system allowed for a small margin of error, which is ok due to game limitations (for example, actually its not possible to configure a water cooler or a microbe mush to receive water from a specific source).
In the old system, there was a point to keep living areas sterile and free of polluted oxygen.

In this new system, the absence of imune system and the "getting sick with 1 germ" is just... weird.... In real life nobody gets sick with 1 germ (ok... some diseases are exception...) - in fact, humans eat 'food poisoning' and breath 'slimelung' every minute - there is not a real sterile enviroment on Earth (even in a sterille, cirurgic room some pathogenics exists) - it is our imune system that prevents diseases from happening.

I think the old system should be brought back for determing when a duplicant gets sick or not, and some other way to treat the disease once it comes are needed.... unless Klei is secretly planning a "Hospital update...." :p:p 

2 hours ago, fredhp said:

I simply hate the new disease system.

In the old system, digging through a slime biome can be very dangerous - slimelung was a real risk, and extra care was needed until atmosuit was available.  Imunity system allowed for a small margin of error, which is ok due to game limitations (for example, actually its not possible to configure a water cooler or a microbe mush to receive water from a specific source).
In the old system, there was a point to keep living areas sterile and free of polluted oxygen.

In this new system, the absence of imune system and the "getting sick with 1 germ" is just... weird.... In real life nobody gets sick with 1 germ (ok... some diseases are exception...) - in fact, humans eat 'food poisoning' and breath 'slimelung' every minute - there is not a real sterile enviroment on Earth (even in a sterille, cirurgic room some pathogenics exists) - it is our imune system that prevents diseases from happening.

I think the old system should be brought back for determing when a duplicant gets sick or not, and some other way to treat the disease once it comes are needed.... unless Klei is secretly planning a "Hospital update...." :p:p 

The "Getting sick 1 germ" thing is a typo that has been fixed with the Qol3 release.  The sickness notifier tells you how many dupes are sick, not how many germs the sick dupe has.  The tooltips simply haven't been updated on your version yet. 

Basically the new system is that first dupes get exposed to a pathogen.  Then, based on a number of factors, they have a chance to get sick before they wake the next "morning."  In my testing, careful digging out of a slime biome could be accomplished without getting dupes sick -- and without using atmo suits -- using default game settings.  

If your base is reasonably clean, then your dupe isn't likely to spread the disease.  If you want to quarantine your dupe automatically, then you'll need to build a med bay room and put a "Sick Bay" or "Disease Clinic" in it.  Without treatment, sporelung is fairly annoying.  With treatment, your dupe can get over it pretty quickly.

Your dupe still has an immune system -- you just aren't looking at the intimate details anymore.  Also, rather than happening immediately, it takes time after exposure for your dupe to "get sick." 

From my experience, exposing to 1 germ will not get your dupe sick.  It took 3 cycles of having Bubbles mine without an exosuit in a slime biome before she caught slimelung -- as I detailed above.

• Developer

Thanks for the feedback here. We're improving the tooltips for germ exposure some more to make it more clear what the factors are, but in a nutshell, after a duplicant is exposed to germs, they have a chance of waking up sick the next morning. That chance is modified by game settings, booster pills, traits, etc.

Broadly speaking, the new system is working as intended, though there's still some balance and tweaking to be done. Please continue posting frustrations or anything that's confusing you as it will help us refine the system and the UI! (Save files are helpful too. :) )

Archived