T junction pipes

I've got a single pipe feeding in water at 10 kg/s, and I want to split it to two branches. If one of the branches gets full, or full but demanding a 1000 g/s, I want the other branch to get all the remaining flow.

A simple T-junction results in branch #2 getting packets every other tick, effectively 5 kg/s. At junctions, the game attempts to push packets to the outlets alternately, even if an outlet is full.

A T junction with a bridge will give 100% of the flow to one branch until that branch gets full, and only then give water to the other branch. This is not what I want in this case.

I'm fiddling with a pipe design to do this, but I'm wondering if there's a simple, elegant solution. The one I'm working on involves 4 bridges and consumes a fair amount of space.

14 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Split from a bridge output.

Saturnus is (as usual) correct. 

You can split up to 4 ways off a bridge's output and will split the packets evenly if there is room and will funnel 100% to one if the rest are backed up. 

Edit: Actually, any green output will act like this, not just bridges. 

One of the best things a newer player can do is learn to use bridges.  They are not about how to have two pipes cross.

They are great to split flow (without losing 50% capacity) but they are much more than that.  They allow you to prioritize flow, manage excess flow, and all kinds of designs arise from proper bridge use.

I wish we had a two-tile long object that behaved like bridges currently do (maybe call it “inline pump”), and have bridges behave like regular junctions. It’s just so unintuitive right now, and the bridge designs take more space than necessary and look very awkward.

I don’t think it’s going to happen, but one can dream.

26 minutes ago, pacovf said:

I wish we had a two-tile long object that behaved like bridges currently do (maybe call it “inline pump”), and have bridges behave like regular junctions. It’s just so unintuitive right now, and the bridge designs take more space than necessary and look very awkward.

I don’t think it’s going to happen, but one can dream.

Well. There's the valve. You can use it instead of a bridge in many circumstances.

I was aware of how the white (input) tiles worked. I had no idea that green (output) tiles did this. I’ve gotten into the habit of using bridges not just a priority inputs, but as “direction of flow” indicators. There are lots of cases where you end up needing one-way pipe pieces.

Bridges have it all over valves, primarily because, as Pacovf says, they’re foreground objects. Bridges can overlap buildings and tiles, which is a very important attribute. Then there’s the fact that bridges cost stone and not metal ore.

I only really use valves if I have a reason to restrict flow. Restricted flow turned out to be important for steam-making setups.

On 3/10/2019 at 11:05 PM, chemie said:

One of the best things a newer player can do is learn to use bridges.  They are not about how to have two pipes cross.

They are great to split flow (without losing 50% capacity) but they are much more than that.  They allow you to prioritize flow, manage excess flow, and all kinds of designs arise from proper bridge use.

Bridge is an awesome tool. I used to just use them for avoiding two crossing pipeline, but after a while I started to realise how much more it can be. 

On 3/10/2019 at 7:14 PM, PhailRaptor said:

This is extremely informative:

Phil, thanks for linking to @Tobruk 's archived post, I had lost it and re-reading through it reminded me of why my current base's oxygen is not flowing smoothly!

Archived