New Area Ideas

On 3/24/2019 at 12:43 AM, GetNerfedOn said:

I would suggest a biome with a perpetual season, like an Arctic Pole where all the Pengulls live. Not only that, we could expand upon the arctic vibe and add a friendly Mactusk Village with traders like Hamlet.

Since everybody's talking about adding a snow biome with a MacTusk village, I'm going to talk about my own village idea. Ever since the Gorge, I've desperately wanted the swamp pig village to be added to DST. In my mind, they would just be in the swamp, and the village would look the same as it did in the Gorge with the Elder in the middle, but no longer diseased, just chilling. Instead of trading with the Elder like you do with the Pig King, He will give you quests, like fixing their houses or bring them special items.

He will always have quests for you to do. But every time you complete about 3 or 4 quests, he will give you a special token, which you can then give back to him to temporarily recruit the entire village, excluding the elder. They will do your bidding just like regular pigs(seems they should be stronger and smarter, though), making it easier to raid set pieces like tallbird fortresses.

I think this could be a cool addition along with the MacTusk village. Maybe there's a powerful item that the leader has, but won't trade it to you. It would probably be impossible to kill a whole village of MacTusks, because you'll get swarmed and stun locked. But if you recruit the swamp pigs, you can betray the MacTusk village's trust by murdering them all and taking what you want.

(Wait, I forgot. During the Gorge event, was there any hint that the swamp pigs could actually escape the Gorge, or was it too late for them?Hmm.)

Ooh, underwater biome?  Ya mean like this?

wigfridunderthewaves.png.13e322e13b704105f1f4a0699d32eb96.png

Just ask the people who made the "Creeps in the Deeps" mod (although that's for regular DS, so it'd probably take a bit of tweaking to get it to work for multiplayer).  This is perhaps not the most full and vibrant-looking screenshot of it I could've gotten, but at this point I had NO underwater breathing apparatus at all so I couldn't go far without dying.  I basically had to ask Wigfrid (and her cat, lol) to hold her breath and pose while I took the picture.  And yes, you can play as WX while using this mod, although I wouldn't advise it.   One of the tweaks would definitely have to be some kind of suit. 

How do you breathe underwater?  Easy...ish:  You get the materials you need to make a breathing apparatus FROM under the water.  Basically you get the easier-to-find stuff to make a meh one at first, and that allows you to travel farther and find the better stuff to make the good one.  You know, like how the game itself works--start off eating random stuff off the ground to keep you going long enough to make a crock-pot, then the better food lets you travel farther and find cooler stuff to make a better base... 

As for biomes in general, I agree with the ice biome idea (not sure about the specifics, but the idea of the game essentially having _climate zones_--that is, areas that tend towards or just are a certain season regardless of what the day of year is--seems intriguing).  Even better if the game only puts that kind of biome near the top and bottom of the map--the poles!  :D  I also think that, to go with our cold-climate forest (pine trees) and temperature-climate forest (birch trees) we should have a TROPICAL forest.  That is to say, a jungle.  Perhaps with a bit less poison and piranha plants than the one in Hamlet, but...yeah.  Tropical fronds and an overall humid atmosphere, maybe some vines, maybe some big weird flowers...?

I've also always liked the idea that someone else (not me) came up with here a long time ago--a special area that opens up in JUST the summer, to make summer more interesting.  How?  Some small area of water dries up and then you can walk to a place that was previously blocked.  Like the opposite of that one mine in Harvest Moon you can only reach in _winter_, when the lake freezes and you can walk over the ice.  Only-sometimes-available biomes are an interesting idea in general--you could do a lot with that.  Including putting in stuff that would NORMALLY be overpowered, but it's okay, since for X, Y and Z reasons it really _is_ available part of the year.  (People will of course immediately find a way to exploit or at least mod around that, but hey...)

If you can use mods, check out the Multilands/Megarandom one(s) because they've already got some new biomes.  A full, canon version of them would of course be cooler, but it's a place to start.  There's a different snow biome with yeti, a grey land, a different-coloured birch forest with a whole village of beaver people with their own beaver style houses, a green goopy land with Ewecuses, etc.  Not perfect, but fun to explore.  :)

...Notorious

I have a few ideas for biomes...

Heavy fog biome: So in this biome, you disappear from the map and, much like a ghost, you no longer reveal the map. Visibility is limited, like sandstorms without goggles. The point of this biome, is that by not having any way to mark yourself, you can get lost very easily. Also leaves potential for some terrifying monsters, that you'll never fully see, cause they'll be hidden in the fog.

Poison gas biome: This is sort of an alternative to the previous or can be combined. The biome has an orange fog that is toxic to the players. The player has to wear a gas mask so not to be harmed by its toxins (maybe the same mask as the one in Shipwrecked). While wearing this mask, you are unable to eat. Breathing the air, will have a negative effect like rapidly draining health or sanity (maybe something more interesting can be thought of).

A gated biome: I loved the gate from the Sugarwood Memorial Park. I really like the idea of an area being cut off early game and giving the player the goal of opening it through some sort of challenge. 

Flooded biomes: CaptainChaotica above had a great idea. What about, there's a whole biome that's covered in water, either with MASSIVE lakes and rivers that cut the biome up into a few dry sections. 

The biome will change during the seasons and have different rules:

During the autumn, the lakes and rivers will be shallow enough that you can walk through them (the water reaches your chest and you move very slowly through it). It's an ideal base for fishing (and maybe the water offers protection from hounds).

During the Winter, they will freeze and you can walk over them. However, if you are carrying too many items, you are too heavy, and you break through the ice and die.

During the Spring, the lakes and rivers expand and become to deep to walk through. Stucking players in their sections. 

During the summer, all the water dries up. 

As for creature ideas, I'd like to see more small creatures with interesting mechanics, rather than new raid bosses with ridiculous health that I can never fight. I want to see animals with different behaviours and life cycles (like the tallbird). 

Also, I'd like to see snakes and have poison be added to DST.

Hey, somebody likes my idea!  :)  You added a lot more to it, though.  Huh.

I'm not sure about _permanently_ foggy or whatever areas, however, because...I'd just avoid them.  Why?  Hounds.  If you get stuck moving slowly or being unable to see when hounds show up, you're pretty much BEEPed.  (As I know from my own early experience with sandstorms and the Antlion...)  but again, things could be seasonal.  Like how the sandstorm isn't there all the time!

Poison gas areas...I'd vote that those only poison you _while you're in them_, and after you've left the area and have breathed clean(er) air for a few seconds, the poison effect goes away.  Poison put INTO you, such as by a snake or eating the wrong thing, would have the ongoing deathly Shipwrecked poison effect of deathful death, of course.  The poison areas should also have a visual tell same as the ones in Hamlet, like a greenish fog or something.

I also really like all the ideas in this thread about verticality--like, a proper MOUNTAIN area rather than just rocks.  I'm not sure how it would work, but that's partly the reason I downloaded and now often use those old mods that make trees able to grow to different heights--it adds visual "layers" to the picture. 

Spoiler

wigfridintheforest.png.907393fbaf9992da6b32c15c89ac9e60.png

There's no actual depth, no more..three-dimensionality in these pictures, but doesn't it LOOK like there is?  From this angle it almost seems as if Wigfrid is kind of inside a tree-lined...tunnel, like you're seeing perspective. It gives a sense of foreground/mid-ground/background layers.  Even though the huge trees can be hella annoying when you're walking past one and suddenly your whole screen is LEAF, I enjoy the way it makes the screen look, so ACTUAL verticality (if it can be pulled off) I would be all about.  :)

I think the real question we all have to ask about this picture, however, is:  Why the heck is Wigfrid mining mushrooms?  : P

I also agree on the idea of new creatures that have their own different life-cycles, habits, stuff they eat etc.  As long as said behaviours aren't nothing but "constantly bugs/tries to eat you all the time" and have more variety, that'd be awesome.

...Notorious

Look, they can just about anything and I'd be down with it, I love Klei.

Something with water or poison/air stuff would be preferable. 

But please, we need more creatures that can punt/"throw" the player, they have the code in the base game(DST) and they used it with the pigs in the YOTPK event, but I'd love to see more hard hitting creatures send you flying.

On 3/23/2019 at 5:56 PM, TurtleKitty said:

1. Moon Biome that seems so gorgeous but is so incredibly dangerous if unprepared. Vaguely referencing ONI?
2. Underwater Biome with aquatic city, seaweed forest, abundant fish, Shipwrecked mobs, Merms. 
3. Shadow Realm with a river of nightmare fuel and unimaginable horrors. Would have the best music. Magic would be extra powerful there. 
4. Mecha Biome with metallic lifeforms and steampunk influence. WX and Wilson's dreams come true. Could come with RoboSkins. 
5. A "Dream" world with chunks of recreations of the places the characters are connected to - Wilson's House, Maxwell's Stage, Voxola Factory - all mishmashed together. Mainly due to all the lore and quotes that would result. Could even include new trinkets! 
6. The Gorge areas. Or, at the very least the Sugarwood Forest and the crops, those were great. 
7. The Forge but without Pugna presuming the characters are servants of Them. Maybe after the Forge events? Would be nice to see him on friendly terms. Maybe battle nightmare creatures with the Forge denizens? A lava mini-biome that must be traversed in an odd manner, perhaps? 
8. More of where The Ancients came from - perhaps transported to the early days before it fell? Or a sect of those who left before it fell and set up a different colony that managed to not make the same grave errors? 

(This is basically a fantasy Wish List, I know these are so unbelievably unlikely to ever happen)

9. A Spider Realm type with slightly more civilized spider-people. Would have spider silk turf, web traps to catch evil bunny and pig mobs. Just a place where Webber can be accepted and treated kindly. 

How would an underwater biome work? I think something like this but a bit cooler would be a dried up underwater biome, so lake the ocean tide receded and the survivors found remnants of an underwater civilization. There's a movie that has something like this of sorts but I can't remember the name, just a thought.

Another Idea:

You spawn in a wasteland from an Ancient Gateway. Billy and Mumsy set up and tend to a camp for you while you explore the brave new world for them. There might also be impassable biomes like bramble forests which you complete quests for Mumsy to create certain items to explore those biomes.

16 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Hey, somebody likes my idea!  :)  You added a lot more to it, though.  Huh.

I'm not sure about _permanently_ foggy or whatever areas, however, because...I'd just avoid them.  Why?  Hounds.  If you get stuck moving slowly or being unable to see when hounds show up, you're pretty much BEEPed.  (As I know from my own early experience with sandstorms and the Antlion...)  but again, things could be seasonal.  Like how the sandstorm isn't there all the time!

Well the idea is that there is something valuable in the fog biome.

Also, it would have a use in PVP, as an area where you can easily loose someone whose trying to kill you.

I thought of an addition to it btw. In this biome, some sort of mob appears if you reach the biome's sea borders (they jump out of the water similar to how Pengulls spawn). This will stop players from just hugging a well to find their way out of the biome (because that's too easy).

16 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Poison gas areas...I'd vote that those only poison you _while you're in them_, and after you've left the area and have breathed clean(er) air for a few seconds, the poison effect goes away.  Poison put INTO you, such as by a snake or eating the wrong thing, would have the ongoing deathly Shipwrecked poison effect of deathful death, of course.  The poison areas should also have a visual tell same as the ones in Hamlet, like a greenish fog or something.

Yes, totally.

Also, the gas affects everything that walks in it. Making it an interesting place to set base, as you have great protection from dogs, Deerclops and Bearger.  

15 minutes ago, Hell-met said:

they could import shipwreck/hamlet biomes and I wouldn't be mad

I like how Hamlet handles the Water biome. It's enough water and SW content for a whole land map. It would be nice to see water-based reed plants  as a resource varity here.

Archived