Mysterious cooling effect

Not sure if this is a bug or not. I wrote it off as some fluke of Duplicant pathing while carrying cold deliverables. This anomaly, however, has continued for well over a few hundred cycles.

In the rare situation I require petroleum to be pumped for manufacturing (visco-gel, jetpacks, etc) I created an external well of Petroleum. The insulated pipe to the 'well' is 55C as is the contents of the pipe. But for some reason... the well magically converts the petroleum to -2 degrees C or so. Is there some freaky bug with pitcher pumps I should know about?

There are no vents or other pipes behind the 'cold spot.' All surrounding equipment and objects are well into the 50C range.

Cold Pump.jpg

Maybe the old pitcher pump cooling effect has resurfaced itself? If indeed it was ever fixed.

Basically what happened was (or is) that if you had (or have) a shallow pool of liquid and you force liquid to flow past the base and the upper "root" part of the pitcher pump. And the flow is going right to left you get significant cooling of the liquid. A line of pitcher pumps increase the effect.

16 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

I guess it is worthwhile to have a large bug map with all these things implemented and run it for some cycles after patches to see if anything got fixed. 

And never remove the exploit structurment even though the exploit had been fixed temporarily.

Maybe Klei will revive it one day.

3 minutes ago, R9MX4 said:

And never remove the exploit structurment even though the exploit had been fixed temporarily.

Maybe Klei will revive it one day.

Realistically this is something the devs should have up. It is a pretty easy way to do unit test type changes and fixes. 

3 hours ago, Denisetwin said:

Is it still just oil and petrol or is it water and polluted water too?

It barely cools regular water (yes you can line your liquid reservoir in your starter biome with pitcher pumps and actually get so cold that your mealwood will die, just takes a long time), and oddly you can actually heat up polluted water (to about 40C). It works best with crude and petro if you want cooling down to -38ish. The bug seems to be related to save/load issues - in my tests.  The bug report above has these details in the comments section. I did a lot of testing with that issue.  There is even another thread entirely on using this bug to cool a steam vent for sleet wheat. Fun times, long since past and still not fixed.... 

11 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Not again an old bug..

I'll revive them, and keep reviving them, and make better and better contraptions that exploit them. I'll have to share my gold volcano setup someday.

I assume though that sometimes too many posts that exploit bugs, especially when in a nonbuggy post, are not wanted.  So I keep quiet there. Since this post was about a particular bug, I figured this would be a great place to share it, and it would even be ... wanted....  maybe .... 

Back to the truly self-sufficient base, using only water duplication and matter conversion, with infinite power loops (no world geysers/vents/volcanos allowed). Shouldn't be hard to achieve.  And everything will be plated in gold from a metal cannon. Probably will be a day or two before I have time to fiddle with it all, and I might as well make it in survival after the debug build is finished. Fun times. 

1 hour ago, mathmanican said:

. I'll have to share my gold volcano setup someday.

please!  Thank you for the note on the details.  Klei won't fix things if they are not shared, so I'm always interested in what has been found and different ways others are using/abusing them.

29 minutes ago, Denisetwin said:

Klei won't fix things if they are not shared,

Agreed.  A bug report is not enough (they have thousands to sift through). To really get them to pay attention to a bug, marketing is key. @Saturnus' borg cube is a perfect example.  They had to deal with drip cooling, or the game was just broken. I hope to make contraptions that are simple enough to build, and show how the bug affects everyday game play, to help eliminate all of these. Here's my current marketing hit list.

• Matter conversion (turn any gas into another - simple build done). Affects anyone that has water drip from one tile to another - hmm, everyone. This affects everyone, new player to old, and I've gathered posts from reddit as well as here from new players to show how damaging this bug is to game understanding.  I'll be making another post. 
  • Infinite power (dead batteries are not treated as dead - build could be simpler, so I'll revisit). Affects anyone that uses a battery -- hmm, everyone. The next post on this will showcase how it affects new players who are unaware. 
  • Water duplication, crude duplication - affects anyone who happens to freeze something that drops into a bath warm enough to reheat it.  Not everyone, but pretty easy to accidentally have happen, and way to over powered to not use. Must be decimated.  I need a Replication Cube. @Saturnus you want to design it?  
  • Pitcher pump cooling - affects anyone who builds a pitcher pump - hmm, everyone. Not as critical as other bugs above, but is odd and leaves people thinking "when did I drop cold stuff here", as the OP. 
  • the list goes on....

Here is the old archived post about this issue.

I haven't tried it yet, but I bet you can combine this ice maker with the liquid duplicator, and get powerless free water.

My favorite bug is whit shove vole. They eat and even is plenty of space, they don't pop regolith tiles...then goes round and round until you reload, and reset the hungry status (the only thing it works). It was fixed i think 3 - 5 time until now (must check the old update bug fixes) and I still find it in the game. This bug make solar panels useless. But this is the most efficient way to escape the regolith problem (combined whit an bunker wall on all the asteroid on the upper limit of the space area)

My personal idea is that

For buildings which their heat transfer region is different from their size (ig. turbine, thermal block), when the building are created, the function OverrideExtents will be called to set up the transfer region. But pitcher pump doesn't call that function.

It might be the reason.

2 hours ago, AntiBlueQuirk said:

I did some science and figured out why this happens. My comments are in the bug report thread:

Awesome work.  I added comments in the bug report as well.  Time to play more with this bug. Are you ready for some crazy contraptions @Oozinator? (insert Simpson's evil mad scientist meme).  

Now that I can reliably activate/deactivate this bug it moves way up on my exploit list. :) 

Oh no, what have I done?

Side note, I don't know if my particular contraption is the best way to do things. It was the only way I could come up with to enable/disable the pitcher pumps with automation, which is what resets the fake chunk temperature. It seemed to work pretty well (and for zero power!), but I'm sure it can be improved. I don't think the tempshift plates help too much, for the same reason putting tempshift plates behind storage bins doesn't help. Items on the ground, or in storage, or in fake-pitcher-pump-limbo-space only exchange heat with the tile they're in, or the tile they're on, not with nearby buildings, or even the building they're in as far as I can tell.

Also, be aware that that contraption is *super* picky about the amount of liquid. If there's enough liquid that the pitcher pumps don't actually say Empty, then the temperature won't reset.

Of course, if you're lazy, you can accomplish the same thing by toggling the pumps manually, or just reloading.

14 minutes ago, AntiBlueQuirk said:

Side note, I don't know if my particular contraption is the best way to do things. It was the only way I could come up with to enable/disable the pitcher pumps with automation, which is what resets the fake chunk temperature. It seemed to work pretty well (and for zero power!),

I'll do my best to optimize it. :)  Thanks for your work. 

Archived