Self-Sustainable Scanner Module

I haven't launched a rocket because my machine can't handle its hotness. So I've been away from the game for a while and just came back, and I'm not sure if anyone has come up with same idea. But I've been trying to come up with a modular scanner setup that's self-powered and self-sustainable. Let's call it Self-Sustainable Scanner module, in short, SSSM, um, kinky, how about 3SM, kinkier.

My setup is in the next spoiler.

Spoiler

5c6ab9191c226_Screenshot(8).thumb.png.6272f8ec3276bfd90b5e84649e25ccc6.png

1. Regarding Meteor Showers & Regolith 

• bunker door closes at meteor showers. and opens when it stops.
  • regolith falls onto window tiles, and gets cleaned by robo-miner. 50s after bunker closes, mechanic door opens and closes to let regolith above it fall.

2. Regarding Overheating

• solar panels won't get hit by regolith so it stays its original temperature forever.
  • robo-miners are made of steel of course
  • in the battery chamber, there is a Morb providing 41.4C infinite PO2 and woots has enough cooling effects to counter batteries' heat.
  • 10g/s PO2 output to robo-miner area to prevent robo-miner from overheating.

Note:

• my scanner bottom is 13 or 14 tiles away from sky limit. if you put scanner too high, its performance will drop below 100% just like being blocked
  • this is a demo SSSM. but if you want to use such a single module as your whole scanner system, you better expand one bunker door on each side, otherwise, the stacked regolith on bunkers next to bunker doors will eventually block some incoming signal in the scanner's upper triangular area.
  • the automation, if you are interested, is, first row:[FILTER 60s, FILTER 50s, NOT], second row:[MEMORY to mechanical door]. you can actually tell in the picture above (not the value). What it does is that 50s after meteor shower stops, scanner base door will open to let regolith fall, and close 10s later to let things function again.

And here is an example of how to put more together to provide better scanner performance, in spoiler.

Spoiler

5c6abbfcd2b5f_Screenshot(9).thumb.png.7363100df82ebe1decbc3237b4642061.png

This is just a demo, but you get the idea, put them together, and merge the chambers if they are right next to each other. Only one module needs a complete automation setup, the others can share the first one's.

My main new input here I think, is to put Morb into the system.

I haven't done a simulation run tests for 100 cycles, but I've done a few tests for a single module

• if I raise robo-miner's temp to very high, like 250C, it decreases by 0.1C every 6 sec.
  • if I raise chamber temp to 70C, it drops pretty quickly.

And I'm really happy today the Mk2 stable release is about to come out.

Your design has some mistakes. Almost like you haven't actually tested it. You need a XOR gate instead of a memory toggle, after the filters. Placing the space scanner with an 8 tile gap between the bunker tiles causes issues when the regolith on the edge that does not fall, blocks the scanner. Another thing to note is that if you build the bunker doors at the height limit of the map, this spacing will only give you around 70% signal quality.

Just figured i should let you and others know before they try your design.

4 minutes ago, Xuhybrid said:

Your design has some mistakes. Almost like you haven't actually tested it. You need a XOR gate instead of a memory toggle, after the filters. Also, placing the space scanner with an 8 tile gap between the bunker tiles causes issues when the regolith that does not fall remains, blocking the scanner. Another thing to note is that if you build the bunker doors at the height limit of the map, this spacing will only give you 67% signal quality.

Just figured i should let you and others know before they try your design.

I actually know these stuff, but I thought it's not important cuz I thought people should already know how to fix these. But the Memory gate works, but XOR didn't work for me. Also, my scanner base set is 13 tiles away from sky limit, just gave me 100%. I believe if I move it up 1 or 2 tiles, its performance will drop below 100%. I'll update these to reflect the info you talked about in case people are interested, thanks for letting me know.

Ah well it seemed like you were aiming to educate people so i'd expect it to be accurate, if i were trying to learn. It's a cool idea having them split up like this and only one-two of these modules should serve as a reliable rocket detector for anyone who doesn't want the full setup.

14 minutes ago, Xuhybrid said:

Ah well it seemed like you were aiming to educate people

Yeah, I've updated the things you mentioned in first spoiler. Thx again. I feel too humble and scared to educate people here, people here are crazy good. But I do like to share things when I think they are new.

14 minutes ago, Xuhybrid said:

It's a cool idea having them split up like this and only one-two of these modules should serve as a reliable rocket detector

That's what I do in game, I'm lazy af sometimes lel.

3 hours ago, Xuhybrid said:

Your design has some mistakes. Almost like you haven't actually tested it. You need a XOR gate instead of a memory toggle, after the filters.

A memory toggle works just fine; a reset signal overrides a set signal and deactivates the output, so it behaves as intended with this setup.

Personally, I like to pack the scanners right up next to the surface, letting them drop into the 60%s for scan quality and making up for the lack of perfect scan quality by just expanding the network - nothing wrong with imperfections, nice build!

2 hours ago, shanemadden said:

A memory toggle works just fine; a reset signal overrides a set signal and deactivates the output, so it behaves as intended with this setup.

Personally, I like to pack the scanners right up next to the surface, letting them drop into the 60%s for scan quality and making up for the lack of perfect scan quality by just expanding the network - nothing wrong with imperfections, nice build!

It does work but it can get locked open. XOR performs exactly the same task and never gets locked.

I was having trouble with the memory toggle. It would open during meteor showers and the airlock door would start flip flopping, turning off the scanners and repeating the process. I am trying the XOR gate now but don't have enough cycles to say its working for sure yet.

The XOR gates seem to have fixed the problem. It has been several meteor showers without a problem. With the memory toggle, I had at least 2-3 broken states that let some through. I never deviated from the filter gates and their timers.

1 hour ago, fifty_ducks said:

It would open during meteor showers

This shouldn’t happen cuz there is only 1 NOT GATE between scanner and bunker doors, so it only opens when scanner detects the ending of meteor.

The other problem you mentioned, I’m not sure what’s happening. Anyway. Hope I can help.

On 2/18/2019 at 11:12 PM, Xuhybrid said:

It does work but it can get locked open. XOR performs exactly the same task and never gets locked.

I totally missed your comment. How does your XOR look looks?

On 2/18/2019 at 8:40 AM, Neotuck said:

The patch effected light sources like lamps and shine bugs.

Surface light still passes though airflow/mesh tiles

Solar panels can achieve full wattage through multiple layers of glass.

image.thumb.png.11fe8c6999901b07ad7ba0ce0744f87e.png

On 2/27/2019 at 12:30 AM, fifty_ducks said:

I was having trouble with the memory toggle. It would open during meteor showers and the airlock door would start flip flopping, turning off the scanners and repeating the process. I am trying the XOR gate now but don't have enough cycles to say its working for sure yet.

The XOR gates seem to have fixed the problem. It has been several meteor showers without a problem. With the memory toggle, I had at least 2-3 broken states that let some through. I never deviated from the filter gates and their timers.

I had the same issue and I traced what was happening. The memory toggle worked for some time, but then something strange started happening: it would become active when the two filter gates attached to the two toggles became inactive, even though the description of the memory toggle suggests this should not happen. Not sure if this is a bug, a poorly explained functionality, or something else entirely I am missing.

16 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

After all, mesh tile > glass or same?

Glass blocks 10% of the light. Mesh doesn`t but i`m pretty sure it`s not intended athat way. Mesh tiles block light from lamps but not natural light so i expect that to change.

1 minute ago, Sasza22 said:

Glass blocks 10% of the light. Mesh doesn`t but i`m pretty sure it`s not intended athat way. Mesh tiles block light from lamps but not natural light so i expect that to change.

I wonder if making them from diamond changes anything about that

Archived