Casual Player - Problems with water

Water troubles  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Are you having troubles with this too?

• Yes
    • No

I seem to be having a lot of trouble transporting water from one area to another manually with duplicants. I do not have the game knowledge or resources (refined metal) for automatic stuff. I feel like my system would work fine, the only thing is the duplicants don't want to pump the water out straight away. I feel like water is a very necessary resource and should be prioritised before everything else a bit like food and power.

My system is, I used 2 water bottlers and manually pump polluted water into those (all pumps are auto bottle), then sieve it for clean water and I'll heat the clean water to kill the germs. Supply would be the main priority surrounding my system I assume? I turn it all the way up to 9 and still they ignore it - much like the coal generators. My duplicants would rather store sandstone in a box than pump water to potentially live off. 

Does anyone have any advice on how to make my manual system work properly, or better, without having to build an automated setup?

4 minutes ago, MustardWarrior said:

Yeah I don't know I use bottle emptier for water locks and it takes a while but it works. 

if you use a mix of PW and water then you only need one bottle each

27 minutes ago, Eona said:

Does anyone have any advice on how to make my manual system work properly, or better, without having to build an automated setup?

seems like the problem is with priorities

11 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

seems like the problem is with priorities

I thought that too, so I reduced priorities on other stuff, but it seems like duplicants are ignoring certain errands. all of my system is highest priority, yet duplicants won't even look at it. I feel like that shouldn't be happening. (Or there should be even higher priorities on resources you absolutely need like food and water, like if you had food, water, and mining at priority 9, food and water should be prioritised. That's just my opinion though.) I feel like its too much micromanaging and on top of that the micromanaging isn't working. I'll see how I go using this method I guess.

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

with all the effort you are going though micromanaging your dupes, wouldn't it be easier to build an automated setup?

Not for everyone :)

but if one has priorities well set dupes should be bottling constantly. If one dupe taking bottles at once isnt enough than you need more pitchers and bottle emptiers. 

Set deliver tasks on highest priority and emptiers on 9

1 hour ago, MorsDux said:

Not for everyone :)

but if one has priorities well set dupes should be bottling constantly. If one dupe taking bottles at once isnt enough than you need more pitchers and bottle emptiers. 

Set deliver tasks on highest priority and emptiers on 9

Yes, I don't really have the time to sit down and work out how automated systems work as a casual player. Maybe once I have a grip on the basics.

It seems as though I'm not doing priorities right or something. Both bottle emptiers are on 9. Every dupe is on high priority for supply yet they're all supplying other things on lower priority and barely have time to get to the system in a whole cycle. They'll do it every now and then, sure. If they get to it at all, it's not at the rate I desire. to keep the colony running. I feel like I'd have to remove every other priority besides supply before they'll do it (I'm going to try that next), and I don't think that ideal tbh.

1 hour ago, Eona said:

Yes, I don't really have the time to sit down and work out how automated systems work as a casual player. Maybe once I have a grip on the basics.

It seems as though I'm not doing priorities right or something. Both bottle emptiers are on 9. Every dupe is on high priority for supply yet they're all supplying other things on lower priority and barely have time to get to the system in a whole cycle. They'll do it every now and then, sure. If they get to it at all, it's not at the rate I desire. to keep the colony running. I feel like I'd have to remove every other priority besides supply before they'll do it (I'm going to try that next), and I don't think that ideal tbh.

try the other supply type priority settings. Life support or Storage, who know which covers bottle emptiers.

I think bottle emptiers are storage. It would make logical sense since they are for storing water.

Maybe it`s a dumb question, but what`s wrong with using pumps? They are more reliable when it comes to moving liquid around and building a manual generator next to each pump will still be more effective than making a dupe carry the water by hands.

Just build a pump, a manual generator, a battery. connect those with wires.

Connect the pump to a liquid vent with pipes. Problem solved.

No refined metal required. Just a bit of copper/iron/gold for the wires, battery, pump, manual generator and vent.

15 hours ago, Eona said:

My system is, I used 2 water bottlers and manually pump polluted water into those (all pumps are auto bottle), then sieve it for clean water and I'll heat the clean water to kill the germs.

Can we get a look at your actual system? I am somewhat confused.  It sounds like you're using dupes to move water to a sieve for cleaning -- except that the sieve only accepts water via a pipe.

You don't really need nothing advanced for this. You have pumps, wires, pipes, manual generators and batteries. That's all you need.

You only need discover the world and use the resources around. You have a lot of water in the world and if you found polluted water you only need a sieve.

Also you have geysers and that's all you need for water.

Water is the easiest resources to get even if you don't know anything about the game.

If can show us what are your doing with screenshots we can help you. (:

Edit: In fact, in the future when you know more things about the game, only with water you can produce oil, petroleum, plastic, energy, natural gas, CO2, oxygen, food, dirt, rocket fuel, PW and even more water! Also you can refine your metals and control the temperature of your base. Its not really great?

And all of it with minimum effort from your dupes.

So, take calm and don't think that the water its a problem, because in the first 10 cycles you can research all the stuff that you will need for a initial control of your water resources. (:

Archived