Is off-gassing slime economically viable?

I may have been seeing something different because of game settings.  But in the last playthrough I am working on, I have been gutting all the slime biomes.  I have deodorizers everywhere and O2 at around 3k.  My dupes are in suits so no-one is using the O2.  It seems like there is more o2 that I normally see, but the germs are lasting longer, even in full O2.  I am not sure if this is because of a change in the recent releases, or if I had not been on the survival modes in the past.  One other thing I saw for the first time ever, if you dig up a mushroom farm, you get an explosion of slime lung.  I have not grown shrooms in forever, not sure how long that has been in game,  But I dug up the shrooms and had two dupes down to slime lung in like a third of a cycle.  I made it to cycle 250 without electrolyzers.  I still have 70 tons of Algae and could likely go another 300 cycles with the o2 in my world.  

If the slime you fertilize with is infected then you'll release a bunch of slimelung if you dig up the plant.  

I always use disinfected slime in my shroom farms. 

I'd you are wanting it for o2, then running through a distiller is better (I think).  You can use the algae in an oxidizer or a terrarium, and let the polluted water offgas both.

This doesn't have anything to do with gases but you mention mushroom farms and the algae distiller as possible uses, and those don't either, so:

- It turns into dirt at 125 degrees. You have to mine the resulting dirt block so you lose half the mass, except if you deliver the slime into a much hotter environment (but not hot enough for dirt to turn to sand, around 260C is good) - due to a bug (?) the dirt blocks double in mass so what you put in as slime is what you get as movable dirt.

6 minutes ago, biopon said:

This doesn't have anything to do with gases but you mention mushroom farms and the algae distiller as possible uses, and those don't either, so:

- It turns into dirt at 125 degrees. You have to mine the resulting dirt block so you lose half the mass, except if you deliver the slime into a much hotter environment (but not hot enough for dirt to turn to sand, around 260C is good) - due to a bug (?) the dirt blocks double in mass so what you put in as slime is what you get as movable dirt.

most likely that's a bug, I have cooked slime before and only in the latest update does the mass double 

if this has become a new feature that would be awesome but until a Dev confirms that I'm going to assume it will be fixed soon

15 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

I have cooked slime before and only in the latest update does the mass double

Have you always used much higher than needed temperatures? I've run some tests as I had 300 tons of slime to cook, and I wanted to do it optimally. Around 150 degrees ambient temperature I almost never saw doubling. Above 260 degrees it pretty much always doubles.

16 minutes ago, biopon said:

Have you always used much higher than needed temperatures? I've run some tests as I had 300 tons of slime to cook, and I wanted to do it optimally. Around 150 degrees ambient temperature I almost never saw doubling. Above 260 degrees it pretty much always doubles.

Ok I have read your post 3 times out loud and I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by "Have you always used much higher than needed temperature?"

are you assuming that I do and you are making a point against it?

10422135_441606889371432_2029188394556225946_n.thumb.jpg.0d8ce5e61e1578513454d3e11c44a69a.jpg

6 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

are you assuming that I do and you are making a point against it?

I accidentally that sentence pretty badly. I meant to ask if you maybe used much higher than needed temps in your recent observations, and not before? I think (but I'm not certain) that I started playing with this behavior before QoL2, which would mean it's been there for a while.  Not that the "since when" part matters a lot.

2 minutes ago, biopon said:

I accidentally that sentence pretty badly. I meant to ask if you maybe used much higher than needed temps in your recent observations, and not before? I think (but I'm not certain) that I started playing with this behavior before QoL2, which would mean it's been there for a while.  Not that the "since when" part matters a lot.

what I used before was a rail system that threaded slime though hot metal tiles, I used automation to control the temp of the metal tiles set at 150C.

when the slime on the rails heated past 125C they would form a dirt block above to the nearest non solid block which would be above insulated tiles made with abyssalite 

This would also work with fertilizer and algae but I never noticed any of them double in mass (This was before the space industry update)

Easy peasy.

I got interested in this because this behavior, combined with the fertilizer maker, is a way to produce a lot of dirt from just polluted water and cheap/useless phosphorite. (And some dirt but you get a lot more than what you put in.)

image.thumb.png.5059b8a0370862372409a10584f1f2f7.pngimage.png.871556eb4edb4cdd847759e348a97b5b.png

I  think it mostly depends on what you need.

Slime can be converted to 90% O2 (via the deodorizer) + a bunch of clay* or it can be converted to food via Mushroom farming.

My dupes eat nothing but BBQ, so lower quality food is of very little value to me, so I just let it off gas into PO2 because I have a desperate need for more clay to fuel endless demand for ceramic.

*Assuming you have infinite regolith because the game gives you a lot of regolith.

5 minutes ago, biopon said:

Easy peasy.

I got interested in this because this behavior, combined with the fertilizer maker, is a way to produce a lot of dirt from just polluted water and cheap/useless phosphorite. (And some dirt but you get a lot more than what you put in.)

and this goes back to my original point, this might be a new feature or bug, I will wait for the Devs to say so

and making unlimited dirt though fertilizer makers has been an old topic, one which was ultimately disproved due to loosing half it's mass when mined, this double mass trick wasn't in the game then  

Just now, Neotuck said:

this double mass trick wasn't in the game then  

I doubt you guys would have missed it if it was. But the point still stands, it only works reliably at 260+ Celsius. Trying to do it at close to the phase change temperature only yields single mass tiles. I'm just guessing here, it may have something to do with the rate of temperature change? Maybe not because even very large chunks such as 20t full bins will double in mass if exposed to high heat, and that much slime/whatever takes a long time to heat up.

So it looks like slime fully converts into polluted oxygen. You can always electrolyze the polluted water which is 89% oxygen anyway and you get 500g of oxygen for every 550g of algae.  So I would say it's similar to the algae deoxidizer vs algae terrarium dilemma  basically you spend way more duplicant time and it's basically a project and it takes forever and you get a modest improvement in efficiency, like 10% more oxygen.. Definitely worth using the algae distiller imo.

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

then can you explain this? I spawned the hydrogen at 130C

Nope :)

When my steam turbine-heated build was not producing double mass reliably at 150C, I went to look for a cause, and 260 degrees ended up being the sweet spot.

It should be said that I have been keeping the slime in storage containers until it turned to dirt. I still do, I realized partway through the process that they had nothing to do with the doubling. :) But all the temperature tests I've done earlier had the slime in containers. It may work differently for "naked" objects.

Just now, biopon said:

Nope :)

When my steam turbine-heated build was not producing double mass reliably at 150C, I went to look for a cause, and 260 degrees ended up being the sweet spot.

It should be said that I have been keeping the slime in storage containers until it turned to dirt. I still do, I realized partway through the process that they had nothing to do with the doubling. :) But all the temperature tests I've done earlier had the slime in containers. It may work differently for "naked" objects.

no offence but I'm going to assume player error :p

what you describe would involve a lot of programming algorithms to set up a "sweet spot" average rather than simply have a set temp rule like 125C

and I doubt the devs made that program and risk causing more lag

15 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

no offence but I'm going to assume player error :p

what you describe would involve a lot of programming algorithms to set up a "sweet spot" average rather than simply have a set temp rule like 125C

None taken but I set up this test.

The Antigravity Sewer 4.sav

First row, naked 50kg fertilizer, 150C H2 --> 10 50kg dirt blocks.

2nd row, naked 50kg fertilizer, 250C H2 --> 10 100kg dirt blocks.

3rd row, 50kg fertilizer in a bin, 150C H2 --> 10 50kg dirt blocks.

4th row, 50kg fertilizer in a bin, 250C H2 --> 1 50kg dirt block, 9 100kg dirt blocks.

image.thumb.png.7971529575bd0421891cb8f754decc3f.png

7 minutes ago, biopon said:

None taken but I set up this test.

First row, naked 50kg fertilizer, 150C H2 --> 10 50kg dirt blocks.

2nd row, naked 50kg fertilizer, 250C H2 --> 10 100kg dirt blocks.

3rd row, 50kg fertilizer in a bin, 150C H2 --> 10 50kg dirt blocks.

4th row, 50kg fertilizer in a bin, 250C H2 --> 1 50kg dirt block, 9 100kg dirt blocks.

would have been nice if you shared the save file from before you began the test so we can see it work

but given the inconsistency I'm more convinced this is a bug 

10 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

would have been nice if you shared the save file from before you began the test so we can see it work

but given the inconsistency I'm more convinced this is a bug 

Here you go, I set it up again.

Just mine all the fertilizer in the boxes before you unpause.

Running it gives somewhat different results for naked high-temp; it was doubling 10 out of 10 before, now it's 1 or 2 out of 10. In a container it's still 8-9 out of 10 for high-temp. Low temp is still 0/10.

The only difference between this reset test and the original is that I painted in and mined the original fertilizer in a vacuum, whereas here they've been put in with the H2 already in place.

2 minutes ago, biopon said:

Here you go, I set it up again.

Just mine all the fertilizer in the boxes before you unpause.

Running it gives somewhat different results for naked high-temp; it was doubling 10 out of 10 before, now it's 1 or 2 out of 10. In a container it's still 8-9 out of 10 for high-temp. Low temp is still 0/10.

The only difference between this reset test and the original is that I painted in and mined the original fertilizer in a vacuum, whereas here they've been put in with the H2 already in place.

Would you mind submitting your test and SAV files to the bug reports? I would like to see what the devs have to say on this

22 minutes ago, biopon said:

I have, but they don't typically comment on bugs, do they?

they do when they claim it's fixed on the next hotfix or a feature

also the bugs is the only place they DO comment besides their own posts about updates

5 hours ago, ChickenMadness said:

Is letting slime off-gas economically viable?
You can either let it off gas into PO2. Then use deodorisers to turn it into oxygen and get some clay.

While enjoying the ensuing conversation about the brick phase transitions, to go back to the OP's question, yes Offgassing slime is viable.

It maxes out its offgassing at 1.8kg/cell, which is the same way you can store/clean it until you want to use it.

The fastest, and easiest, way I've found of cleaning slime is using an ice biome and a decent amount of low volume compactors on some local granite.  Don't need to do anything special, any offgassing is typically cleaned up locally via temperature, and you can then use it somewhere else.  The trouble with this method is it has the same concerns as using rot, polluted dirt, or PH2O offgassing.  If you use it without filtering it via a deodorizer (which outputs at a defined heat value) you'd have to cool it twice.  If you don't filter it you risk a major contagion and you can't use it in exosuits.  In the case of PH2O offgassing in the cold you also risk freezing it.

Because there are generally so many other methods of producing O2 in the game I find slime most useful in early/midgame mushroom farms, and to store the majority of it in a cold biome once I find it.  Seal a door behind it so it doesn't just completely disintegrate once it hits pressure and let the local environment do the majority of the work for you, for free, and come use it when you need it.

Well, never mind the beature, one actually gets the most Oxygen out of Slime directly when turning it into Algae+(Polluted) Water:

200g algae become 44/30 times as much with Terrarium =>293.333g (266.667g) without light

400g polluted water become 400g Polluted Oxygen, minus the 64.467g for the Terrarium=>335.533

600g slime become 629g Oxygen... that's an increase of humble 5% for the power and work time put into it and you need the light.

Personally I just use them for Mushrooms since practically Mushrooms cost several times less than Bristle Berries (7.14-8.33 kg Water vs 60-75 kg) per 1000 kcal. Indirectly the Oxygen gain is massive when one merely get 888/1000 from the water and 122/1000 hydrogen is simply a dream come true~

Archived