Tank Full Detector

3 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

Might be nice if we could see the inputs and outputs on the pipes...

You don't really need to. You already know the liquid storage input is in the upper right corner, and the output is in the bottom left corner. Likewise there's an arrow on the bridge that indicate direction.

I should note however that this set up actually doesn't work as there's no mechanism for filling the tank in the first place.

Something like this will work though.

While the tank is not full input flows into the tank and the liquid sensor stays FALSE which through a NOT gate opens the door.

An open door under the tank disables the output but not the input.

Once the tank is full, the input overflow and via the bridge traps water in the pipe where the liquid sensor is.

The liquid sensor output is now TRUE and through the NOT gate that closes the door, and enables the output from the tank.

The liquid sensor will because of the bridge stay TRUE until there is a disruption on the input line. 

If you put a FILTER or BUFFER on the automation signal depending on whether it's before or after the NOT gate, you can have the door close immediately when the tank is full but have the output enabled for a set amount of time regardless is there's an input flow or not.

image.thumb.png.8bfd766cd0b3c6917bde8a743179b144.png

Note that only the top part; the pipe, the pipe bridge and the sensor is the actual tank full sensor. 

I had made a liquid tank overflow detector, by fake spliting the flow in 2 and feedbacking it to a point before the split. Then i made a liquid element sensor on the input of the reservoir and a filter gate set to 2 sec. When the liquid starts to back up, it would  turn the element sensor permanently green, but wouldnt have enough time to fulfil the filter gate untill then

39 minutes ago, Arnadath said:

I had made a liquid tank overflow detector, by fake spliting the flow in 2 and feedbacking it to a point before the split. Then i made a liquid element sensor on the input of the reservoir and a filter gate set to 2 sec. When the liquid starts to back up, it would  turn the element sensor permanently green, but wouldnt have enough time to fulfil the filter gate untill then

The same thing I detailed above just my solution is simpler and doesn't need a filter gate.

13 hours ago, Saturnus said:

I should note however that this set up actually doesn't work as there's no mechanism for filling the tank in the first place.

It's a tank full detector, not a fill a tank design so I'm confused how the idea can not be working because you say it isn't what I never said it was??

I thought that would be all the parts of the Columbus Egg people would need to figure the rest out.

1 hour ago, Miravlix said:

It's a tank full detector, not a fill a tank design so I'm confused how the idea can not be working because you say it isn't what I never said it was??

But it does not work. Yes, it will work the first time it is filled up but if there's any stop in the input or the input flow drops the liquid tank will drain while your sensor will report the tank to be full until it's completely empty. Then and only then will the sensor say the tank is not full.

The below set up is identical to yours. I filled up the tank until the sensor reported it to be full. Then I set the valve to 1kg/s flow and now the tank is losing 9kg/s content because the point of the tank is that it maintains output at 10kg/s so that means the overflow pipe cannot clear until the tank is completely empty again.

I apologize if I didn't make it clear and demonstrated the first time why it doesn't work.

image.thumb.png.486effc8bf3983033f827a2145e7c1d5.png

36 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

But it does not work. Yes, it will work the first time it is filled up but if there's any stop in the input or the input flow drops the liquid tank will drain while your sensor will report the tank to be full until it's completely empty. Then and only then will the sensor say the tank is not full.

1: It works, you said so yourself right here.

2: See 1.

It's a tank full detector and it works, using it is the easy part after you had the columbus egg to get you started.

I can't believe that your arguing that it doesn't work because you can use it wrong.

1 hour ago, Miravlix said:

I can't believe that your arguing that it doesn't work because you can use it wrong.

So your argument is that something that is supposed to indicate if a tank is full works as intended even though it still shows the tank is full when the tank is less than 2% full?

That's pretty much like saying a clock that is stopped is still right twice a day.

But I know you're just kidding and you know full well it doesn't work as intended.

I suppose you could say that it's a "well, it's not empty but how much is actually in it is anyone's guess"-sensor

@Miravlix, regarding your initial post, I had some similar inclinations regarding filling tanks. This is kind of how I imagine a chlorine submersion reservoir might be automated like that. OF course @Saturnus lead me to this kind of setup for filling a tank in another thread I had started when asking about how to fill the tanks to begin with. My idea here is deeply flawed regarding germs however. and not intended for mixed liquids. Disclaimer*: This setup is really only a fill feature and lacks a true secondary loop to detect germs exiting the tank during the initial filling - @Neotuck has some interesting setups regard that and dealing with very large volumes of polluted germy water, and probably Saturnus as well. You could easily pass off a secondary loop from the bottom of this at the shutoff valve inlet - I just didn't want to clutter the primary "filling the tank" concept. I've spread things out for ease of viewing when others look at it. Liquid enters from the top line, exits from the line on the left after the tank has filled.

5c57e0aa26f7b_20190204013219_1(2).thumb.jpg.6a81e75dc02eb0ed1ed677ec9a1dbe22.jpg

Liquid detection sensor ( upper middle ) - Detects liquid that has overflowed the priority of the tank inlet. This means the tank is full. Lower sensor is a germ sensor, it detects germs in the pipe - and is useless in this setup without an addition loop ( not pictured for the sake of simplicity ).

5c57e0ae00ff4_20190204013308_1(2).thumb.jpg.5ea56aee21278a215ad3ecac9dfed3ea.jpg

The automation part - basically an AND gate here, when both are in agreement, then the valve opens. You set the parameters, the not gate is there for no reason whatsoever ( i didn't realize the germ sensor wasn't a binary creature, it has levels and greater than and less than parameters, so make what you will of it. - this system is broken from the outset - the three sections of pipe that lead away from the reservoir will always have germy polluted water in them when first filling the tank. A secondary loop is needed to go back to the inlet from the of the tank to thfrom the inlet of the shutoff valve - even then it's a coin toss on the first few packets where there's not saturation of the line.

5c57e0b1d60df_20190204013308_1(4).thumb.jpg.1a8d4707aa51bfecbfa25154933bddc4.jpg

If you just want to fill a tank and have a cache of liquid in the system, then this whole blue bit of automation, and the germ sensor can be dropped, just connect the liquid sensor to the shutoff valve via automation wire ( red line ) and your liquids will fill the tank until it overflows onto the sensor loop.

* This entire concept of decontaminating germy liquids via chlorine gas submersion is deeply illogical. This setup is broken without some inputs and a secondary loop. Germs will pass right on by and need to be looped back to the tank input.  What I'm really trying to convey here is a simple layout for filling a tank and passing any excess over. This post has gotten way to wordy. I just don't connect an output pipe to the reservoirs if I want to decontaminate it using the submersion bath exploit.

detect.png.29cbf0988ffd175411e20dad03096be5.png

Ok, just wanted to contribute my "easy" solution compared to some above. (Just changed the priority of the overflow.)

5 hours ago, Miravlix said:

It's a tank full detector and it works,

If you want to detect if the tank is full and want to keep that "true" signal till the tank and the overflow line are empty again, than use yours.

If you want to detect if the tank is currently full you should empty the overflow before the tank.

(My design got one pipe segment after the detector, so the automation signal will report the tank being not full 10kg liquid early.)

11 hours ago, Saturnus said:

So your argument is that something that is supposed to indicate if a tank is full works as intended even though it still shows the tank is full when the tank is less than 2% full?

Surely it'll work as long as the door's open? As the tank won't be emptying.

3 minutes ago, Yunru said:

Eh "add a door" was so instinctive to me I kinda assumed there was one.

Also note... the door isn't actually part of my set up for detecting if the tank is full. I even wrote that..

On 03/02/2019 at 12:17 PM, Saturnus said:

Note that only the top part; the pipe, the pipe bridge and the sensor is the actual tank full sensor. 

7 minutes ago, Yunru said:

Well it should be! :p

In seriousness though, can't you just fix the problem with something to detect flow out of the tank and a memory cell?

Why though? Seems a waste of resources when all you need is this part. And no additional automation.

overflow.png

4 minutes ago, Yunru said:

Won't that one still report the tank as full while it's emptying if you've already a full input flow? 

No

I actually wrote exactly what happens in detailed steps, so I'm not sure where the confusion is really.

On 03/02/2019 at 12:17 PM, Saturnus said:

The liquid sensor will because of the bridge stay TRUE until there is a disruption on the input line. 

So if at any time the input is less than 10kg/s and the tank start to empty the sensor will immediately report the tank as "not full".

3 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

No

I actually wrote exactly what happens in detailed steps, so I'm not sure where the confusion is really.

Because for some reason I was thinking the tank could empty faster than it can fill. Don't know why.

Archived